Car Insurance/ 6 points within first two years?

Convicted Driver Insurance

alexc

I have been driving for about 9 months now with my policy finishing in October where I hope to get 1 year no claims.

I recently was issued a ticket for driving without Insurance in a friend's car - have just got a letter saying to pay a £300 fine and I will receive 6 points on my license.
It doesn't exactly say here that there will be a ban or a disqualification just that I will need to send my license to them? I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't give more information on here and tell me that I will be losing my license? And will have to retake both tests? Or whether I'll get it back with 6 points which I doubt as I'm in my first two years?

I'm not sure what to do about my insurance, can I keep it going while I won't be driving for 1-2 months while I retake tests and get license again or will they know as I would like to get my 1st year no claims in October?

Would really like some advice on whats best to do?

Regards,
Alex

Hello Alex, first off it is not a disqualification for totting up 6 points within your first 2 years of driving but rather a revocation. Pay the fine and send the licence away, the DVLA will then be in contact about the cancellation of your licence. As soon as you are revoked you may apply for your licence again, take the test etc.

Your provisional licence will be returned to you with 6 points on, if you get 1 more point within the 2 year period that will trigger another revocation. You will find that you are not allowed to hold insurance without a valid GB drivers licence. You could try and let your policy run until you're back on the road, but you will have to make your insurance aware of your IN10 conviction.

Finally, I was convicted of IN10 when I was 19 and it doubled the price of my insurance even with 2 years no claims bonus. IN10 affects your insurance premium almost as much as a DR10 drink driving conviction does. Best of luck with the process, as soon as you are revoked you can makes moves to do your tests again.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

If this is the case and I want to let my insurance run through, do I have to let them know of the IN10 Straight away? If I did they would know I do not hold a full license ? Then cancel the policy on me.. or was you saying to let it run and in a month or so once passed tests and got license to inform them on the IN10 or would that then cause any issues me waiting to let them know?

Not sure on the chances of them finding out within about 1-2 months of me retaking tests and getting license again and not driving during the time without my license.

Hope to hear back soon.

Regards,
Alex

I will try to explain this in the best way that I possibly can, first and foremost you should never misrepresent yourself to an insurance company as it is against the law.

It isn't straight forward, if you tell them you have an IN10 any time between now and getting your NCB then they will know your licence was revoked and will cancel your policy for not informing them. If you do not tell them about your IN10 then in the case of a crash you will not be covered AND you will be convited of IN10 again for not declaring a conviction to your insurance company. (This will be 6 points again, followed by a 3-6 month ban for totting up 12 points and then redoing your test again)

The only way for you to gain your 1 year no claims bonus without breaking the law is to not drive on that policy until you get your 1 year NCB in October. This may not be the easiest thing to hear right now, I'm sure you're devestated about the loss of your licence but this is the only way you can finish earning your one year.

You can wait until October, earn your 1 year then start a new policy with your 1 year and your IN10 declared, prepare yourself by looking on price comparison websites for what sort of insurance situation you're going to be in because it put mine up from £1100 to £2300.

Regardless of what you do, while not against the law it against the rules of every insurer to hold a policy without a valid full drivers licence.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

As you said, if I wait until October to get one years NCB without driving. Would you say that having one years NCB will warrant me paying the next three monthly payments of insurance (about £420). I'm not sure if getting insurance for second year with IN10 declared but with 1 years NCB will save me that amount over me just cancelling insurance now and starting fresh once I have redone my tests and using it towards deposit again?

Kind regards,
Alex

Go onto confused.com, input the reg of your car and for the date you got your licence put 1 year ago. Under convictions put IN10 and 6 points, £300 fine. Then under no claims bonus say you have no NCB. You will then know where you stand if you do cancel the policy, then repeat the process but under NCB select one year.

You will then have 2 prices, what it will be without the NCB and what it will be with it. You will then know wether it is worth it to not drive until October or if you would be better with your 3 monthly payments towards a deposit.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off