Car Hire/Lease after a DR10

Convicted Driver Insurance

Zaphod

Firstly, apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong forum subject - please feel free to move!

I have a driving ban coming to the end in very early August. The initial sentence was a 12 month ban but as I have attended a Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course my ban has been reduced to 9 months. I have not been classed as a High Risk Offender.

I should be beginning a new job (fingers crossed), of which carries so many new hopes, soon after I get my license back, and it comes with a company car. In the interim probation period of 6 months, they offer a hire car.

My question is how would/could my conviction impact on the prospects of successfully securing a hire car or short term lease car from my new employer?

Looking around the web, it is easy to find information on 12 or more month bans and high risk offenders, but not so much on bans less than 12 months and "low risk offenders".
  • My potential new employer does not know of my conviction.
Thank folks, any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, apologies to the Mods if this is in the wrong forum subject - please feel free to move!

I have a driving ban coming to the end in very early August. The initial sentence was a 12 month ban but as I have attended a Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course my ban has been reduced to 9 months. I have not been classed as a High Risk Offender.

I should be beginning a new job (fingers crossed), of which carries so many new hopes, soon after I get my license back, and it comes with a company car. In the interim probation period of 6 months, they offer a hire car.

My question is how would/could my conviction impact on the prospects of successfully securing a hire car or short term lease car from my new employer?

Looking around the web, it is easy to find information on 12 or more month bans and high risk offenders, but not so much on bans less than 12 months and "low risk offenders".
  • My potential new employer does not know of my conviction.
Thank folks, any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

All of the main hire companies stipulate "no major convictions on licence."

Since this is for refusal of a service rather than refusal of insurance it does not have to take into consideration the rehabilitation of offenders act so it's down to the company whether they refuse to hire for 5 years when deemed rehabilitated or 11 years when the conviction falls off the licence. Here's what rhino car hire have stated on the matter - https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hi...re-a-car-with-a-drink-driving-conviction.aspx

When you provide them the DVLA check code at the point of hire they will refuse. I have not successfully been able to hire a car in the UK, have tried with Hertz and with Enterprise and been turned down for both. However, I have been able to rent with Hertz, Cicar, Sixt and Europcar in Tenerife, France and Spain as none of them checked the DVLA check code. Although they all say to have it prepared all they have ever asked to see is my photocard. I know this doesn't help you, but nice to know you can still rent abroad.

In regards to your new employer not being aware of your criminal conviction, tread carefully. Non-disclosure may be gross misconduct.

Last edited:
You're out of luck to be blunt. 9 or 12 months makes zip difference. You have a DD conviction. Five year wait until hiring/renting and totally agree with the person above - your employer needs to know.

If your potential new employer is offering a car then they will want your licence details and they will have your National Insurance number of course.

It is highly likely they will check your details and see you have been banned, and then its to late. In fact they could potentially call that gross misconduct as Recoverd22 says, then you are in a whole world of other pain. Bear in mind that the company car insurance they will provide will possibly be invalid if it isn't declared.

I know its a conversation you won't want to have but you really should have it with them sooner rather than later.

As for hiring a car, forget it unfortunately. All of us will have to wait a minimum of 5 years I would think. I have never heard of anyone with a UK licence being able to hire a car in the UK any earlier than that.

Take a deep breath and get in touch with your new employer.

Good luck !

If your potential new employer is offering a car then they will want your licence details and they will have your National Insurance number of course.

It is highly likely they will check your details and see you have been banned, and then its to late. In fact they could potentially call that gross misconduct as Recoverd22 says, then you are in a whole world of other pain. Bear in mind that the company car insurance they will provide will possibly be invalid if it isn't declared.

I know its a conversation you won't want to have but you really should have it with them sooner rather than later.

As for hiring a car, forget it unfortunately. All of us will have to wait a minimum of 5 years I would think. I have never heard of anyone with a UK licence being able to hire a car in the UK any earlier than that.

Take a deep breath and get in touch with your new employer.

Good luck !
I agree that the OP needs to tell the employer as it is a legal requirement to declare a conviction if asked, however I do not agree with your summation that they have your NI number so will check your details. The log in to the DVLA where the NI number, Driving Licence Number etc. is only for the individual, anybody else using this way to access driving licence details is in breach of the data protection act and is also guilty under the misuse of computers act.

Most employers will ask for the DVLA check code to assess a persons licence if driving is a requirement, this check code will show the conviction for 5 years and therefore they would more than likely at least question the conviction, if not withdraw the employment offer or terminate the employment if it had already started. Withholding the information from an insurance company is possibly also fraud, which opens up a completely new level of s**t!

I agree that the OP needs to tell the employer as it is a legal requirement to declare a conviction if asked, however I do not agree with your summation that they have your NI number so will check your details. The log in to the DVLA where the NI number, Driving Licence Number etc. is only for the individual, anybody else using this way to access driving licence details is in breach of the data protection act and is also guilty under the misuse of computers act.

Most employers will ask for the DVLA check code to assess a persons licence if driving is a requirement, this check code will show the conviction for 5 years and therefore they would more than likely at least question the conviction, if not withdraw the employment offer or terminate the employment if it had already started. Withholding the information from an insurance company is possibly also fraud, which opens up a completely new level of s**t!
Its been some years now since I had a company car so you may well be right and as you say the check code will be the way, unless of course consent is given I suppose.

I think we all agree though (or most of us anyway) that the wisest move would be to be upfront about it otherwise it may well end up badly !

Yes it is indeed a breach of data protection. However, a breach that is made all the time by haulage firms, taxi firms and company car providers.

I can't find the post right now, perhaps it was deleted but around 2019/20 a user stated on this forum that their employer found out about their conviction by carrying out a licence check. I believe it was a haulage firms. Here is another older instance of an employer doing it, check out page one of this post the comments from just Dave in 2016 - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/...05-new-job-with-company-car.61704/#post-98044

Yes it is indeed a breach of data protection. However, a breach that is made all the time by haulage firms, taxi firms and company car providers.

I can't find the post right now, perhaps it was deleted but around 2019/20 a user stated on this forum that their employer found out about their conviction by carrying out a licence check. I believe it was a haulage firms. Here is another older instance of an employer doing it, check out page one of this post the comments from just Dave in 2016 - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/...05-new-job-with-company-car.61704/#post-98044
A lot has changed since 2016. The Information Commissioners Office (ICO) have been given more teeth, they are prosecuting breaches of data protection in more and more cases. I would suggest that anyone who suspects an employer/hire firm etc. of this type of abuse reports it to the ICO for a breach of data protection, and also the Police as a victim of Misuse of Computers Act.

It is mad that DVLA have such a lack of security on the website, and I don't doubt that there are unscrupulous people out there abusing the system, but I don't believe it is as widespread as people think. The access to the system will be recorded by DVLA in the form of IP logs. Anyone who has hacked their access will have their 'fingerprint' IP recorded which can be traced back.

A lot has changed since 2016. The Information Commissioners Office (ICO) have been given more teeth, they are prosecuting breaches of data protection in more and more cases. I would suggest that anyone who suspects an employer/hire firm etc. of this type of abuse reports it to the ICO for a breach of data protection, and also the Police as a victim of Misuse of Computers Act.

It is mad that DVLA have such a lack of security on the website, and I don't doubt that there are unscrupulous people out there abusing the system, but I don't believe it is as widespread as people think. The access to the system will be recorded by DVLA in the form of IP logs. Anyone who has hacked their access will have their 'fingerprint' IP recorded which can be traced back.
Does anyone know if you can hire a car whilst you are waiting (ie: have a pending conviction?). I have been waiting 3 months already for my blood results and the arresting officer says it could be months yet. I have no car as I wrote it off in the accident.

Do you know if the car hire company will see the details when they check with the DVLA? I expect the answer is yes (ie: I will be denied a hire care because I am awaiting results) but just wanted to check. I can find no definitive information about this elsewhere and the car hire companies T&Cs just mentions actual convictions (post-court date). Thank you.

Does anyone know if you can hire a car whilst you are waiting (ie: have a pending conviction?). I have been waiting 3 months already for my blood results and the arresting officer says it could be months yet. I have no car as I wrote it off in the accident.

Do you know if the car hire company will see the details when they check with the DVLA? I expect the answer is yes (ie: I will be denied a hire care because I am awaiting results) but just wanted to check. I can find no definitive information about this elsewhere and the car hire companies T&Cs just mentions actual convictions (post-court date). Thank you.
When you give the hire company the check code to look at your licence, they will see a summary of the situation as it is now. It will not show anything pending, only any convictions/points etc. that you currently have.

Having said this, insurance is based on 'uberrima fides' which is utmost good faith. You have to declare anything that is likely to be an issue, whether it is asked or not. Your best bet is to perhaps call a few hire companies and ask their policy regarding pending prosecutions (without going into too much information), because as it stands you are 'innocent' until you have had your day in court.

When you give the hire company the check code to look at your licence, they will see a summary of the situation as it is now. It will not show anything pending, only any convictions/points etc. that you currently have.

Having said this, insurance is based on 'uberrima fides' which is utmost good faith. You have to declare anything that is likely to be an issue, whether it is asked or not. Your best bet is to perhaps call a few hire companies and ask their policy regarding pending prosecutions (without going into too much information), because as it stands you are 'innocent' until you have had your day in court.
@BigTom thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will give them a call and post the outcome on here so that others can see it and hopefully find it helpful! Many thanks.

@BigTom thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will give them a call and post the outcome on here so that others can see it and hopefully find it helpful! Many thanks.
Hi all, an update on my previous post about hiring a car before you have been charged with anything...

I called the hire car company, they were very understanding but ultimately it was a "no" because I am too big a risk. I did disclose that I am awaiting results from the police (no point in trying to be coy plus as @BigTom says, 'uberrima fides' and best to be honest in these circumstances or it will no doubt come back and bite you - well this always happens to me!). Imagine if I had an accident (sober!) in the hire car, whatever the circumstances - if I didn't disclose I would be in deep doo-doo I guess. So whilst I am disappointed, I totally get it.

Thanks all for your insights on this, it saved me a lot of money and more heartache! I so miss driving, but not at the risk of further pain and trouble. x

I don't understand why the DVLA / Government don't tighten up the Driving License summary page.

I've emailed them before about it, it could be as easy as two factor authentication whereby an email or text asks you to confirm a code sent for you to gain access.

I can be certain that companies are certainly gaining access to this information given that they have all the credentials info to hand!

Really don't understand why they don't sort it out.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off