Cancellation on top of conviction and crash?:( HELP!!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sorryidiot123

Please help I’m desperate!!! - Crashed my car under the influence being a 19 year old idiot - no points, 18 month ban, no other drivers involved I blew 45 or 50 mp at the polic station.

At the time my insurance emailed me saying they they cancelled the policy but wrote off any outstanding amount and nothing would show on my credit report (I have this in writing) at the time I thought this was a blessing!!!

18 months later buzzing to drive again I’ve been using comparison site money supermarket

the quotes I’ve been getting were £2500 which I thought were reasonable with the incident and the DR10 conviction ... naively I missed this question

“Have you or any additional driver on this policy ever had their insurance declined, cancelled, voided, or had special terms imposed?”

After saying yes to this question my quotes are £3500 - £4500+ which isn’t affordable to me.

here are my questions -

Is there any way to get a cancellation from a company revoked?

Is there a database which holds information of cancellations? Are cancellations checked?

A friend said he said no to this question and hasn’t received back lash, do you know anyone that said no to this or had a similar experience?

Do some insurance companies not ask this question or is it just comparison sites??

If you read this far thankyou so much how do I avoid putting the cancellation on there? Is it possible to avoid it as it’s ruined my chances of driving again!

many thanks yours sincerely a sorry idiot

YoUr creditworthiness has nothing to do with what you have to declare when you apply for insurance.
You are covered if you give honest answers when completing the application. All insurance companies, comparison sites or not, ask if you have been declined insurance or has a policy cancelled or voided.
If you answer ‘no’ to this, you will not be covered by the policy as you will have made a false declaration to obtain insurance (which is also a criminal offence)
Insurance companies do have a database that they check new applications against, so when they discover that you have lied, you would probably find it near impossible to obtain insurance for years.
You will have to bite the bullet and deal with the consequences of what you did.
Perhaps getting a car that is in a low insurance classification might lower the premium, or even do a couple of years with a moped / small motor cycle for a couple of years.
Th insurance loading does go down steadily over the 5 years you have to declare the DR10 for, and you will build up a couple of years no claims bonus.
your title is ‘sorry. Idion’ .... don’t add ’and stupid idiot’ by trying to hide the cancellation.

YoUr creditworthiness has nothing to do with what you have to declare when you apply for insurance.
You are covered if you give honest answers when completing the application. All insurance companies, comparison sites or not, ask if you have been declined insurance or has a policy cancelled or voided.
If you answer ‘no’ to this, you will not be covered by the policy as you will have made a false declaration to obtain insurance (which is also a criminal offence)
Insurance companies do have a database that they check new applications against, so when they discover that you have lied, you would probably find it near impossible to obtain insurance for years.
You will have to bite the bullet and deal with the consequences of what you did.
Perhaps getting a car that is in a low insurance classification might lower the premium, or even do a couple of years with a moped / small motor cycle for a couple of years.
Th insurance loading does go down steadily over the 5 years you have to declare the DR10 for, and you will build up a couple of years no claims bonus.
your title is ‘sorry. Idion’ .... don’t add ’and stupid idiot’ by trying to hide the cancellation.
Thankyou for your response. I am dealing with the consequences and have been for years but I’m trying to negate the effects.

I’ve considered moped and other options I’ve just come here for impartial advice and just to ask questions I’m not stating that’s what I’m going to do.

is there any way to get the cancellation revoked?

Like getting a policy with my original insurer?

how much time will a cancellation have to be declared for?

Thankyou for your response. I am dealing with the consequences and have been for years but I’m trying to negate the effects.

I’ve considered moped and other options I’ve just come here for impartial advice and just to ask questions I’m not stating that’s what I’m going to do.

is there any way to get the cancellation revoked?

Like getting a policy with my original insurer?

how much time will a cancellation have to be declared for?
Pretty much as Price1367 said - if you are asked the question "have you ever" then if you declare incorrectly you will be in breach of any insurance contract. In practice, insurers have a rating engine with rating rules - some will include your admission, others will not rate you higher after a certain period, some will always rate it. There is no cut off date as that open ended question is what makes insurer's different in price - if the question is "have you ever" it will depend on individual insurers and their appetite for risk. Same will apply for home insurance, some travel insurance policies etc - there will be a question around criminal convictions - just a heads up!

Your original insurer cannot change the fact that they issued a cancellation notice. It could appear on a number of databases that insurers subscribe to automatically including CUE, Experian and others. Be honest, don't lie and eventually (usually within 5 years) you will see a reduction in cost as past errors are slowly accepted and rating reduced accordingly. Lie and if it's found out when you have to make a claim and you will be in a whole world of pain, a second cancellation or even worse a "voided" policy.

Yes insurers punish us and rightly so for our bad decisions, but they also rate even more badly for lies and hiding of information as it demonstrates a willingness ignore rules.. insurance is based on the principal of "utmost good faith" and its much better to pay now than pay more later.

My source.... i've been in the insurance industry for over 25 years but I don't work for an insurer

It appears there is nothing you can do. I would look at the insurance groupings of cars
VW polo is very low
At least you know the situation is only temporary
Good luck

Just out of interest, when it says
“Have you or any additional driver on this policy ever had their insurance declined, cancelled, voided, or had special terms imposed?”
by 'declined', do they mean 'has an insurer ever not been prepared to offer you insurance' upon enquiring?

Just out of interest, when it says
by 'declined', do they mean 'has an insurer ever not been prepared to offer you insurance' upon enquiring?
No, that just means that your personal circumstances (or vehicle) to not meet what they offer terms for, so they have declined to quote, which is different from having a policy which they later decline to renew.
For example, you have a mobile crane, you apply to direct Line for insurance and they decline to quote you, because they do not insure commercial vehicles like a crane. They have not declined your insurance, they just cannot offer you a suitable quote.....

Please help I’m desperate!!! - Crashed my car under the influence being a 19 year old idiot - no points, 18 month ban, no other drivers involved I blew 45 or 50 mp at the polic station.

At the time my insurance emailed me saying they they cancelled the policy but wrote off any outstanding amount and nothing would show on my credit report (I have this in writing) at the time I thought this was a blessing!!!

18 months later buzzing to drive again I’ve been using comparison site money supermarket

the quotes I’ve been getting were £2500 which I thought were reasonable with the incident and the DR10 conviction ... naively I missed this question

After saying yes to this question my quotes are £3500 - £4500+ which isn’t affordable to me.

here are my questions -

Is there any way to get a cancellation from a company revoked?

Is there a database which holds information of cancellations? Are cancellations checked?

A friend said he said no to this question and hasn’t received back lash, do you know anyone that said no to this or had a similar experience?

Do some insurance companies not ask this question or is it just comparison sites??

If you read this far thankyou so much how do I avoid putting the cancellation on there? Is it possible to avoid it as it’s ruined my chances of driving again!

many thanks yours sincerely a sorry idiot

Insurance Factory were great with me

No, that just means that your personal circumstances (or vehicle) to not meet what they offer terms for, so they have declined to quote, which is different from having a policy which they later decline to renew.
For example, you have a mobile crane, you apply to direct Line for insurance and they decline to quote you, because they do not insure commercial vehicles like a crane. They have not declined your insurance, they just cannot offer you a suitable quote.....

Thanks, didn't make sense for that to be the case thinking about it, otherwise someone under 50 asking to be insured by Saga would have to state a declinature on their insurance.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off