Can I take on my own insurance on car that's already insured?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Drew B

Well Known Member
So, my license will be valid next month. I have no car at present.
Mum is going away for 5 months in Oct and she is insured LV - same as me prior to my crash.
I don't want to get a 'new' car when I have to take of hers whilst she is away, but I don't want to add myself on her policy and trigger anything that may come after me.
(I have posted earlier thread about this - the other drivers insurance wants to split the cost).

Can I take out a separate insurance on my mum's car, in my name?

Insurance companies will not insure you as a policy holder on a car you have no financial interest in, and there would also be the issue of your mum having insurance on the car as well. You certainly cannot have 2 policies covering the one car. It would flag up on the insurance database and make them think you were going to try multiple claims.....

Thank you Price... if mum cancels her insurance and then I insure as 1st person is that ok? Does it matter, in terms on insurance, if mum is the registered keeper? (that was asked on the comparison website)

Could you not get added as an additional driver? And then could potentially change yourself to main driver while she’s away ?

Afraid not, Mr-
Mum is with the same insurance company I was with, and as I was involved in a crash there is still an 'open' issue against me :( I don't want to go on her policy and remind them about me
After looking into it further I am going to buy her car off her, take out my own insurance and put her as named driver when she comes back

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off