Breathalysed, but was it Legal?

Convicted Driver Insurance

clothahump

Yesterday lunchtime we were sat in our Local having a couple of drinks which is the usual routine for a Sunday, my friend who does not walk well and only drinks 1.5 pints as he drives left before me to take another friend home.
As he pulled away from the pub an unmarked police car followed him and pulled him into a Bus Stop, they breathalysed him and he passed.
The police officer said they had stopped him as they suspected he had been drinking, is this enough of a reason to harass an elderly man?

In answer to your question, the police are entitled to stop a driver and require a breath test from them if they have reason to suspect that someone has driven with excess alcohol. Sometimes police are known to wait by pubs and stop people driving away. They will tend to state in Court that they believed the driver to have been over the limit due to the manner of driving or a tip off from the public. Unfortunately any evidence arising from a stop in this manner tends to be permitted by Courts in England and Wales.

The Plot Thickens

Many thanks for your reply Sean but it appears the plot thickens.

I had to pop over to the Local at lunchtime to help the landlady with her new website, while there I had a couple of pints and left just before 3pm, I drove down through the village to emerge onto the bypass and return up past the village to pop into town, a 1/4 of a mile in the opposite direction was a police motorcycle, as soon as he spotted me he gave chase and blue lighted me to stop.
The reason he gave for stopping me was that there had been complaints about me parking on the hill outside the pub with my front wheels pointing into the kerb, this according to the highway code is the correct way to park so he was obviously just after me for DD, he breathalysed me and I passed but I feel the reason given was illegal, am I correct?

dg_070549.jpg

Whilst I understand your frustration this is not a point that, in my experience, result in your case winning at trial should you wish to contest the matter further.

We are able to provide advise to those wishing to challenge a case for a fixed fee if you are interested.

In answer to your question, the police are entitled to stop a driver and require a breath test from them if they have reason to suspect that someone has driven with excess alcohol. Sometimes police are known to wait by pubs and stop people driving away. They will tend to state in Court that they believed the driver to have been over the limit due to the manner of driving or a tip off from the public. Unfortunately any evidence arising from a stop in this manner tends to be permitted by Courts in England and Wales.

Has Great Britain now become a 'Totalatarian/Surveillance' Police State, with a 'wink and a nod' from the so-called Justice system?

Just travel to Eastern Europe, you will find they refuse to use and blanket the Cities with CCTV and Police spying, because for them this is a reminder of the past...a 'Stalinistic Totalatarian/Surveillance Police State' of the former Soviet Union.

Mandatory Sentencing...another example of a Police State; believe me I know, I once had the misfortune of living under such a system, that is why it is so obvious to me. For those who have never lived under such an abomination, beware...these are all signs of such a system emerging.

What has happened, or happening to Civil Liberties in Great Britain? :mad:

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off