Booking the Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

gary96

Hi all,

Do you have to book the medical at the end of the of the ban, or can you wait a few months? I know this wouldn't be ideal but I want to be fully sure I can pass and get the GP onside with an LFT in 4/5 months after I last drank, rather than take it early and fail which would look bad at work.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Hi all,

Do you have to book the medical at the end of the of the ban, or can you wait a few months? I know this wouldn't be ideal but I want to be fully sure I can pass and get the GP onside with an LFT in 4/5 months after I last drank, rather than take it early and fail which would look bad at work.

Thanks for any advice
Hi again mate once you’ve applied for your license Dvla will write out to you in due course with a letter to book your medical appointment, once you receive your letter you have 12 weeks to book your appointment, this has slightly changed as it use to be six weeks, so it could be the area that you live in or the back log of applications…,

I think you can apply for your license 90 days before your ban is up, no need to wait 5 months Dvla have some shocking waiting times so the likelihood is that you’ll be waiting months anyway…

I think you can apply for your license 90 days before your ban is up, no need to wait 5 months Dvla have some shocking waiting times so the likelihood is that you’ll be waiting months anyway…
I know but I've just seen this on the DVLA site:

The standards for driving and alcohol misuse or dependency have been reviewed and updated.
Before you re-apply for your driving licence please ensure that you can meet the following standards:
If there is a history of alcohol misuse, for Group 1 car and/or motorcycle driving, you are required to show controlled drinking at the recommended low risk limits for at least 6 months. For Group 2 bus and/or lorry driving you are required to show controlled drinking at the recommended low risk limits for at least 12 months. If there is a history of alcohol dependency for Group 1 car and/or motorcycle driving, you are required to show abstinence from alcohol for 12 months. For Group 2 bus and/or lorry driving you are required to show abstinence from alcohol for 3 years.Abstinence means not taking any alcohol. You must continue to abstain from alcohol if you wish to hold a driving licence.

It's the before you re-apply that's really throwing me, I know the DVLA can be a law onto themselves and don't need an excuse to not give a license.

Check with your Gp to see if you have any alcohol history pending in your notes, if you have get the dates and apply from there stating that you have had the required time off from driving wich ever one applies to you, and document this with the Gp, once Dvla will write out to your Gp your doctor will have all the information he needs for Dvla to: consider your fitness to drive…

Check with your Gp to see if you have any alcohol history pending in your notes, if you have get the dates and apply from there stating that you have had the required time off from driving wich ever one applies to you, and document this with the Gp, once Dvla will write out to your Gp your doctor will have all the information he needs for Dvla to: consider your fitness to drive…
Will do, thank you

One step at a time though there’s a lot of information to take in, step 1 check with your Gp to find out your alcohol history (if there’s any ) and come back to me with the results, private message me if you want I’ll guide you through the process ,,,,👍

One step at a time though there’s a lot of information to take in, step 1 check with your Gp to find out your alcohol history (if there’s any ) and come back to me with the results, private message me if you want I’ll guide you through the process ,,,,👍
Thank you, was going to book a LFT in 3/4 months once everything has fully settled after having drinks last week. I'll ask my GP at the same time. Will message you after, really appreciate it

Will do, thank you
You can request full access to your own medical records doctors are very busy its hard enough getting an appointment. You can look back through them and anything highlighted as alcohol related keep the dates handy and the Gp can find it a lot quicker if you need to speak about it during an appointment.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off