Blood Test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Flatline

Hi, I am not due a CDT test as I am not classed as a HRO (never a DR conviction)... However, my licence was revoked because my doctor reported heavy drinking to the DVLA.
I am however due regular blood tests for liver & kidney function, how long must I be abstinent (do I need to be abstinent?) for my blood level readings to stabilise? TIA

Hi Flatline
If your GP is monitoring you regularly for liver and kidney function, it sounds as if they’re concerned about how alcohol is affecting your overall health and well-being.
There is an issue about patient confidentiality that some might raise, but most GPs would only make a DVLA referral if they felt that there was a risk to others if you drove whilst over the limit, and felt that you might well do so.
Many of us on this Forum, usually following a DD conviction, have decided to take a look at our drinking habits, and many have also decided that life might be better without it. And that’s without a medical history that indicates that alcohol has become a problem.
Leaving the DVLA out of it, I wonder if the time has come for you to have a look at this. Sometimes abstinence is the only way, as problem drinkers find moderation difficult if not impossible.
In terms of the DVLA, they look for one years abstinence. This means logging the date of your last drink with your GP, and having regular blood tests which you are anyway.
It seems that period of abstinence would be massively beneficial to your health as well.
Good luck with all of this
Organisations like AA can be a great help….the best place to find people who really understand what life around alcohol feels like, and also to suggest solutions in a non judgemental supportive way, as only people who understand those challenges can do.

Hi, I am not due a CDT test as I am not classed as a HRO (never a DR conviction)... However, my licence was revoked because my doctor reported heavy drinking to the DVLA.
I am however due regular blood tests for liver & kidney function, how long must I be abstinent (do I need to be abstinent?) for my blood level readings to stabilise? TIA
I lost my licence due to my doctor informing DVLA. I DO have to have a CDT test to get my licence back. (Mine's tomorrow). Like you, I never had any accidents or convictions and I can honestly say I never sat behind the wheel of a car after having had a drink, or the morning after. Still need a CDT test though!

Revokation of licence for alcohol misuse is 6 months, while dependancy is 12 months. Whilst you are off the road, you need regular LFTs to prove abstinence, otherwise the DVLA will not entertain you. Once you do pass the CDT/medical, you may only get granted a 12 month licence, then have to do a second medical the following year. The DVLA medical process is very similar for HRO DD drivers and those non-offending people unlucky enough to be reported by Dr Jobsworth.

CJ

Revokation of licence for alcohol misuse is 6 months, while dependancy is 12 months. Whilst you are off the road, you need regular LFTs to prove abstinence, otherwise the DVLA will not entertain you. Once you do pass the CDT/medical, you may only get granted a 12 month licence, then have to do a second medical the following year. The DVLA medical process is very similar for HRO DD drivers and those non-offending people unlucky enough to be reported by Dr Jobsworth.

CJ
I’m thinking Dr Jobsworth has many brothers and sisters 😂

I have a friend who failed the blood test x2 times due to misuse, the Dr even put him down as dependant!

He was over 2.3 on the CDT each time.

The DVLA just sent him a letter to reapply in 6 months and sent forms to him each time.

He passed the CDT on his third attempt and was not monitored or having any LFT tests of any kind with his Dr, he just kept on doing DVLA medicals and only passed the third time as he reduced his deinking a bit and abstained for 10 days.

Its seems it's just luck of the draw tbh...

I have a friend who failed the blood test x2 times due to misuse, the Dr even put him down as dependant!

He was over 2.3 on the CDT each time.

The DVLA just sent him a letter to reapply in 6 months and sent forms to him each time.

He passed the CDT on his third attempt and was not monitored or having any LFT tests of any kind with his Dr, he just kept on doing DVLA medicals and only passed the third time as he reduced his deinking a bit and abstained for 10 days.

Its seems it's just luck of the draw tbh...

The foolish thing about flunking the CDT is that everytime you fail, you have to pay until you pass it. I have never seen the point in doing the CDT unless you have put in the hard work with the abstinence. Maybe some folk have more money than common sense, or are just simply dense in the first place.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off