Blood test - waiting time for results

Convicted Driver Insurance
I had to wait from the May to the October for blood results, then court about 10 days later
That was 3 years ago. The waiting for the results is awful as you are in limbo. Prepare for the worst, plan travel, plan for court - get character statements, etc do all you can I even went to sit in the court in a public gallery- someone suggested it on this forum & this helped as knew what to do, where to go etc. Plan if legal representation please just use a local firm, identify a company, basically plan all. Plus ensure if you are on a professional register ensure you have checked what you have to do once charged so again it’s all ready. And keep your employer in the loop. I got a thick letter in the post I could see what it was as under name in the address window I saw case number xxx
If you come back ok then breath move on but learn-
If it’s positive then you are ready to go to court
I wasn’t a big drinker ( stopped night after( but now teatotal I found drinking even a glass of champagne at a wedding brought back memories of being stopped etc
Post court it’s easier honestly
You survive, you find out who your true friends are& now I’ve been back driving nearly 2 years
I still shudder at the memories but they are dimmer
Sadly I had a lot of local press coverage due to my job so pray for it not being a slow news week
You survive & can thrive
@January it sounds like you had a hellish time, sorry to hear that. The press are such scumbags. You waited almost the full 6 months and that was 3 years ago. I guess I had better buckle in for a ride for another 3 months then (been 3 months already for bloods). Your planning sounds very astute and a good coping mechanism, I am going to try and follow suit and get myself braced for it all. I am also off the booze and plan to stay off it for good. Many thanks for your sage advice, it has really helped me. x

Please check it out as I am no expert, but have been convicted so know some of the onward consequences. In all insurance policies I’ve ever had they 1. Say you should inform them immediately of any relevant incidents/ changes of circumstances e.g arrest and 2. Whenever I’ve hired a car there are questions re convictions etc and I’m sure there’s be one that covers the scenario you describe .
@Polly3 thank you, I am not bothering to even think about hiring a car now, to be honest it is probably for the best anyhow! I have to get used to public transport again anyhow.

hi has anybody had any news yet?
I had a call from the policeman in charge of my case 2 days ago and he hasn't heard anything yet so still a waiting game.

I'm a bit of a pickle as my motorbike insurance runs out at the beginning of August and I don't see the point in renewing it just to cancel it shortly after but would like to keep using it whilst I can :/ not sure how that would work though in terms of declaring things.

Speaking to the policeman has made it all real again tbh

I had a call from the policeman in charge of my case 2 days ago and he hasn't heard anything yet so still a waiting game.

I'm a bit of a pickle as my motorbike insurance runs out at the beginning of August and I don't see the point in renewing it just to cancel it shortly after but would like to keep using it whilst I can :/ not sure how that would work though in terms of declaring things.

Speaking to the policeman has made it all real again tbh
You would need to declare it if you try to renew .

hi has anybody had any news yet?
I got a text from the officer in charge saying the wait for the bloods will still be some time (no timescale specified) but did say they will let me know when they come through. @Milly22 I am in a similar situation and my car insurance is due for renewal too. I have been completely upfront with the insurance company and the increase in premium is minimal (I think because nothing has been proved yet as I have no results) it may be the same for you. My solicitor advised me to retain the insurance until anything is definite on your results. I wouldn't pay a full year at once though, for obvious reasons.

It is a pain that we will have to renew only to cancel (or the insurance company and DVLA/court will cancel/invalidate the insurance for us anyway!) but until something is proven it seems sensible to hang on to it, especially if you have a working vehicle (I don't have any car, I wrote it off in the DUI accident, but my solicitor told me to keep paying the insurance until things are concrete). This means for me that if my bloods show I am under the limit (unlikely, to be honest, but also covers me if the results are not back within the 6 month time to lodge the case in court). If I cancelled the insurance now then I am immediately liable for everything - I will be anyway if I am over the limit but it is sensible to hang on to it for me, if your situation is similar it may be sensible for you too. I am just passing on the logic that my solicitor gave me, if it helps. Of course each situation is different.

Hope that helps @Milly22! Stay strong @Milly22 and @Donwon, we three are the waiting fellowship and we will get through this!

Last edited:
I got a text from the officer in charge saying the wait for the bloods will still be some time (no timescale specified) but did say they will let me know when they come through. @Milly22 I am in a similar situation and my car insurance is due for renewal too. I have been completely upfront with the insurance company and the increase in premium is minimal (I think because nothing has been proved yet as I have no results) it may be the same for you. My solicitor advised me to retain the insurance until anything is definite on your results. I wouldn't pay a full year at once though, for obvious reasons.

It is a pain that we will have to renew only to cancel (or the insurance company and DVLA/court will cancel/invalidate the insurance for us anyway!) but until something is proven it seems sensible to hang on to it, especially if you have a working vehicle (I don't have any car, I wrote it off in the DUI accident, but my solicitor told me to keep paying the insurance until things are concrete). This means for me that if my bloods show I am under the limit (unlikely, to be honest, but also covers me if the results are not back within the 6 month time to lodge the case in court). If I cancelled the insurance now then I am immediately liable for everything - I will be anyway if I am over the limit but it is sensible to hang on to it for me, if your situation is similar it may be sensible for you too. I am just passing on the logic that my solicitor gave me, if it helps. Of course each situation is different.

Hope that helps @Milly22! Stay strong @Milly22 and @Donwon, we three are the waiting fellowship and we will get through this!
What a fabulous post ! Although I don’t agree that cancelling the insurance ( provided you’ve paid in full), would invalidate any legitimate claim arising from an incident prior to cancellation. Good luck with everything.

I had to wait from the May to the October for blood results, then court about 10 days later
That was 3 years ago. The waiting for the results is awful as you are in limbo. Prepare for the worst, plan travel, plan for court - get character statements, etc do all you can I even went to sit in the court in a public gallery- someone suggested it on this forum & this helped as knew what to do, where to go etc. Plan if legal representation please just use a local firm, identify a company, basically plan all. Plus ensure if you are on a professional register ensure you have checked what you have to do once charged so again it’s all ready. And keep your employer in the loop. I got a thick letter in the post I could see what it was as under name in the address window I saw case number xxx
If you come back ok then breath move on but learn-
If it’s positive then you are ready to go to court
I wasn’t a big drinker ( stopped night after( but now teatotal I found drinking even a glass of champagne at a wedding brought back memories of being stopped etc
Post court it’s easier honestly
You survive, you find out who your true friends are& now I’ve been back driving nearly 2 years
I still shudder at the memories but they are dimmer
Sadly I had a lot of local press coverage due to my job so pray for it not being a slow news week
You survive & can thrive
Thank you for this ❤️

I am still waiting, its been 3 months so I just know in the next few months it is coming. Its so reassuring that so many people here are in the same boat. We are not bad people. We made a mistake or we dealt with things badly

We really will. Its so hard, and people judge. But we will. At least when so much time has passed we know there is only so long to wait...

I'm also just going to post and say thank you so much to all of you. I feel a bit emotional thinking about it but I honestly can't imagine how I would feel if I didn't come across this forum. It has genuinely been a life saver and has made me feel less alone, less pessimistic and more hopeful for the future.

What a fabulous post ! Although I don’t agree that cancelling the insurance ( provided you’ve paid in full), would invalidate any legitimate claim arising from an incident prior to cancellation. Good luck with everything.
Hi @Polly3 as said previously my insurance is up for renewal but I am still awaiting blood results and my insurance claim is still in limbo. I wrote off my car and now the insurers have the keys, log book and I have signed over ownership. It is totally safe to cancel then and save myself some money? I am worried they will say that if I cancel and anything comes back in my favour that they will argue I don't have current insurance. Sorry feeling stressed again wish this wait would be over. Thank you :)

Reactions: E91
Hi @Polly3 as said previously my insurance is up for renewal but I am still awaiting blood results and my insurance claim is still in limbo. I wrote off my car and now the insurers have the keys, log book and I have signed over ownership. It is totally safe to cancel then and save myself some money? I am worried they will say that if I cancel and anything comes back in my favour that they will argue I don't have current insurance. Sorry feeling stressed again wish this wait would be over. Thank you :)
I’m so sorry you feel stressed and totally understand. I confess I don’t really know about the insurance situation and perhaps I was a bit quick to offer a view before although my gut reaction was surely you must be covered if the policy was live ( and fully paid up) at the time the incident occurred . However , given that the insurers now have the car it seems bizarre that you should still have a live policy …. The vehicle isn’t even in your possession !!! Do you think you could ring and speak to them? Try not to overthink and get too muddled . I say this as I did ( overthought , got muddled , and unbelievably stressed) . Best wishes

I’m so sorry you feel stressed and totally understand. I confess I don’t really know about the insurance situation and perhaps I was a bit quick to offer a view before although my gut reaction was surely you must be covered if the policy was live ( and fully paid up) at the time the incident occurred . However , given that the insurers now have the car it seems bizarre that you should still have a live policy …. The vehicle isn’t even in your possession !!! Do you think you could ring and speak to them? Try not to overthink and get too muddled . I say this as I did ( overthought , got muddled , and unbelievably stressed) . Best wishes
Thanks @Polly3 I will give them a ring today as it does seem ludicrous now the company have ownership. I will keep you posted on what I do. I still have no news about my blood results from the police. It is almost 4 months now.

I keep getting my hopes up that the 6 months limit on the police getting the case to court will go over the allowed time so that my case is then automatically dismissed. I shouldn't do that I know, but the wait is still killing me. Any news @Milly22 and @Donwon ?

Thanks @Polly3 I will give them a ring today as it does seem ludicrous now the company have ownership. I will keep you posted on what I do. I still have no news about my blood results from the police. It is almost 4 months now.

I keep getting my hopes up that the 6 months limit on the police getting the case to court will go over the allowed time so that my case is then automatically dismissed. I shouldn't do that I know, but the wait is still killing me. Any news @Milly22 and @Donwon ?
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Three and a half months down and I keep thinking the same thing that maybe for once in life I'll just have a bit of luck and go over 6 months.... I've learned my lesson and will never make the same mistake. But exactly the same, it's painful isn't it :(

I am in exactly the same boat as you. Three and a half months down and I keep thinking the same thing that maybe for once in life I'll just have a bit of luck and go over 6 months.... I've learned my lesson and will never make the same mistake. But exactly the same, it's painful isn't it :(
Yes I feel the same - a hard lesson learned. I am counting down the days to 6 months on my calendar, crossing them off like a convict in a cell! Fingers crossed that someone is looking out for us!

hi there peeps so i got my court date yesterday and it was at the end of the 6 months the dead line was saturday but it got posted on friday so yeah ive had to wait the full six months which has been hellish,on the up side ive not long to go now before i can put all this behind me ,yes it will cost me a lot and i will be banned but im sick of this hanging over my head now when i say sick i mean im sick every morning with anxiety.i hope your all good btw and ill keep you posted on my fate

In England they have 6months to get you to court am in Scotland which is 12 months and he waited the 12 month by the time it went to court it was time barred and his case was dismissed on the news other night the courts are back logged so yours might be lucky and it goes over
hi there mate did your son have to go to court then ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off