Best Car to Get after 2nd Ban to keep Insurance Premiums as LOW as possible

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Hi everyone.

Just wondered if anyone has had this experience.

I don't get my licence back until October 2021, so I know this a BIT early, but I want to plan well in advance.

I had 2 DUI convictions fairly close together. First one was 10th April 2017 until 9th Dec 2018 (20 months.) Second was 12th July 2019 until 11th Oct 2021. I will be 63 then.

Since the 24th July 2019 I have been completely sober (I had late developing problem for about 8 years,) joined AA and was amazed at the number of people there who had been banned 3 or more times. They were back on the road but they had been for some time so couldn't give me much in the way of info about current prices.

For the last 25 years I had always driven large/mid range 4x4's (eg. Honda CR-V,) and when the time comes to begin driving again, I would obviously like another car of this style (I got rid of my previous one to avoid any un-necessary temptation sitting in my driveway.)

However I am not so stupid that I don't realise that the bigger, more powerful the car, the higher my premiums will be.

So I was wondering if it would be better to get myself a cheap banger for a couple of grand for the first year or two, then move up to something larger and hopefully an all electric.

I will have 3 years confirmed no claims discount when I begin again.

Any advice would be welcome.

And for anyone struggling, join AA (Alcoholics Anonymous.) It is one of the best decisions you will ever make.

Thanks again.

I double that, AA saved my life and is a valuable tool for anyone who has lost their way with drinking. One day at a time. Not a drop since the 8th August 2018.

In terms of insurance the difference between a VW Up (60bhp) and a 3 litre BMW (268bhp) was £690 per year vs £980. Bear in mind if those prices make your eyes pop out of your head I'm only 24, a male and I only have 4 years no claims bonus. So I went for the BMW. A 1 litre VW UP/Polo I believe are the cheapest cars to insure in the UK being insurance group 1.

The other thing to take in to account is that your no claims bonus will be gone. It only is valid for a period of 2 years so by the time you are driving again it will have lapsed? There are a couple of insurance companies that will run it to 3 years, but you would need to speak to a broker to see if that is possible.

The other thing to take in to account is that your no claims bonus will be gone. It only is valid for a period of 2 years so by the time you are driving again it will have lapsed? There are a couple of insurance companies that will run it to 3 years, but you would need to speak to a broker to see if that is possible.

Totally glossed over the dates on my first read. Yep no claims bonus will expire on the 12th July 2021, if the old policy was cancelled the day the ban was handed down. A friend of mine couldn't find one company or broker in NI that would accept his 2 year 4 month old NCB, perhaps there's more luck to be had on that front in England.

“had 2 DUI convictions fairly close together. First one was 10th April 2017 until 9th Dec 2018 (20 months.) Second was 12th July 2019 until 11th Oct 2021. I will be 63 then.”
You get a 3 year ban for a second drink drive conviction in 10 years..... how did you end up with only 2?

I have been looking at cars as my ban is up later this month. I am told I will get discount as I did the course, plus I have 9 years max no claims & licence held for 30 plus years
One of the lowest is VW polo also Nissan micra, some such as Seat are group 17
Despite sending the application to the DVLA, recorded delivery on the first day I could and amazingly got it back within a week, test driving cars is delayed due to lockdown 2 in England but then where could I drive to hey !
Suggest find some cars will need reg & put in market comparison sites but put you would be wanting the insurance within a month - that should help good luck

I double that, AA saved my life and is a valuable tool for anyone who has lost their way with drinking. One day at a time. Not a drop since the 8th August 2018.

In terms of insurance the difference between a VW Up (60bhp) and a 3 litre BMW (268bhp) was £690 per year vs £980. Bear in mind if those prices make your eyes pop out of your head I'm only 24, a male and I only have 4 years no claims bonus. So I went for the BMW. A 1 litre VW UP/Polo I believe are the cheapest cars to insure in the UK being insurance group 1.

The figures don't make my eyes water. I was thinking in the region of a couple of grand.

I was with Admiral prior to the last conviction and they have told me my No Claims Discount lasts for 3 years.

Totally glossed over the dates on my first read. Yep no claims bonus will expire on the 12th July 2021, if the old policy was cancelled the day the ban was handed down. A friend of mine couldn't find one company or broker in NI that would accept his 2 year 4 month old NCB, perhaps there's more luck to be had on that front in England.

I was with Admiral prior to the last conviction and they have told me my No Claims Discount lasts for 3 years.

“had 2 DUI convictions fairly close together. First one was 10th April 2017 until 9th Dec 2018 (20 months.) Second was 12th July 2019 until 11th Oct 2021. I will be 63 then.”
You get a 3 year ban for a second drink drive conviction in 10 years..... how did you end up with only 2?

I initially received a 36 month ban for the second offence but went on a Drink Drivers Awareness course so with the subsequent reduction this is now 27 months.

It isn’t what your old insurer counts, it is the new insurer that dictates how long they will recognise your old no claims bonus for.
Admiral do say “a couple of years” Not 3,
“What if I've been away from driving?
No claims discounts tend to lapse after a couple of years which is worth bearing in mind if you're returning to the road after some time away.

However, it's always worth discussing with your new insurer as, depending on how long it's been, they may be able to accept some of the bonus if you still have proof of your last policy.”

Speaking to a broker recently, they confirmed that it is almost impossible to find a company that will carry forward an old no claims for 3 years, but you might get a bit of it allowed.

It isn’t what your old insurer counts, it is the new insurer that dictates how long they will recognise your old no claims bonus for.
Admiral do say “a couple of years” Not 3,
“What if I've been away from driving?
No claims discounts tend to lapse after a couple of years which is worth bearing in mind if you're returning to the road after some time away.

However, it's always worth discussing with your new insurer as, depending on how long it's been, they may be able to accept some of the bonus if you still have proof of your last policy.”

Speaking to a broker recently, they confirmed that it is almost impossible to find a company that will carry forward an old no claims for 3 years, but you might get a bit of it allowed.
Yeah, my 10 years no claims bonus was just over 2 years old when my licence was reissued and I think I found around 3 companies who would accept it for 3 years but their prices were a lot more than I was able to find by going back to zero no claims!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off