Banned in Northern 5 years ago, recently passed my test in the Netherlands, can I......

Convicted Driver Insurance

They_Call_Me_Bill

Hello all,

Maybe someone can advise?:

Circa 5 years ago I got stopped for DD in Northern Ireland... Failed the breath test so got banned for 12 months and finned but with the option of doing the rehabilitation course.

7 month into the initial DD ban I got stopped again while immorally driving .... No insurance, no licence, then failed to provide a sample of breath at the station. Banned for a further 2 years and given 200 hours of community service. After I completed my community service my career took me to the Netherlands. This year I gained my Dutch Driving licence. (A couple of years after my UK ban was over.)

While of course an EU licence (currently) gives one the right to drive in the UK, as I was/am classed as a high risk offender and haven't taken the HRO blood test in the UK would I have problems / consequences if I was stopped while driving there on my Dutch Licence?

Many thanks for your facts on this matter.

Bill

Hello all,

Maybe someone can advise?:

Circa 5 years ago I got stopped for DD in Northern Ireland... Failed the breath test so got banned for 12 months and finned but with the option of doing the rehabilitation course.

7 month into the initial DD ban I got stopped again while immorally driving .... No insurance, no licence, then failed to provide a sample of breath at the station. Banned for a further 2 years and given 200 hours of community service. After I completed my community service my career took me to the Netherlands. This year I gained my Dutch Driving licence. (A couple of years after my UK ban was over.)

While of course an EU licence (currently) gives one the right to drive in the UK, as I was/am classed as a high risk offender and haven't taken the HRO blood test in the UK would I have problems / consequences if I was stopped while driving there on my Dutch Licence?

Many thanks for your facts on this matter.

Bill

I would definitely check it out with a solicitor,

But as you are not currently banned in the UK,and have not been refused a license,I would have thought you can use your Dutch one for 12 months from the date of your arrival the same as anybody else.

Or try that .gov checking tool

Last edited:
You have no UK licence, because you cannot have one until you have had a medical and also, because you are in Northern Ireland, you also have to resit your theory and practical test before you can drive again.
There is no way that you can cheat this by saying “well I now have another licence so I will use this”, you have to go through the correct procedure.

Reactions: TPR
You have no UK licence, because you cannot have one until you have had a medical and also, because you are in Northern Ireland, you also have to resit your theory and practical test before you can drive again.
There is no way that you can cheat this by saying “well I now have another licence so I will use this”, you have to go through the correct procedure.
How would this affect someone who had passed the medicals and been given a provisional licence to drive in the uk price but then passed their test as above in holland. Would they be allowed to drive in the uk under their eu licence ?

In the U.K., except Northern Ireland, if you pass your medical then your full licence is reinstated. It is just in Northern Ireland that they make you retake your theory and practical tests After a drink drive ban.
Ceryainly if you were to try to drive in Northern Ireland with a Dutch licence this would not be allowed. In the rest of the UK it is debatable. We recognise northern Ireland bans on a reciprocal basis, so we enforce the bans in England, wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man as being the same bans on our roads, but do you have to have follow the protocols in Northern Ireland that only apply there post ban? I don't know, you would be best to get legal advice on that but if you were involved in a serious collision where enquiries were made I would anticipate Possibly some serious questions being asked about your eligibility to drive on the Dutch licence.

In the U.K., except Northern Ireland, if you pass your medical then your full licence is reinstated. It is just in Northern Ireland that they make you retake your theory and practical tests After a drink drive ban.
Ceryainly if you were to try to drive in Northern Ireland with a Dutch licence this would not be allowed. In the rest of the UK it is debatable. We recognise northern Ireland bans on a reciprocal basis, so we enforce the bans in England, wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man as being the same bans on our roads, but do you have to have follow the protocols in Northern Ireland that only apply there post ban? I don't know, you would be best to get legal advice on that but if you were involved in a serious collision where enquiries were made I would anticipate Possibly some serious questions being asked about your eligibility to drive on the Dutch licence.
Good reply as always thanks mr price (y)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off