Ban up on Jan 15th 2020

Convicted Driver Insurance

sam9001

Well Known Member
My ban is due to be finished on the 15th Jan 2020, I was a Hgv driver before I got banned, this is my 2nd ban, first in 2010, am I likely to get my hgv licence back?

What will happen will depend on your circumstances.
Were you driving a HGV for either of these offences? If you were, it could make it much harder to get your HGV back.
If the last offence was failing to supply this could make it harder.
Presumably you got a 3 year ban. I would expect you to be asked to appear at a conduct hearing before your Traffic Commissioner to explain what happened. If you seem suitably contrite (they like to hear you have done a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course)

What will happen will depend on your circumstances.
Were you driving a HGV for either of these offences? If you were, it could make it much harder to get your HGV back.
If the last offence was failing to supply this could make it harder.
Presumably you got a 3 year ban. I would expect you to be asked to appear at a conduct hearing before your Traffic Commissioner to explain what happened. If you seem suitably contrite (they like to hear you have done a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course)

Neither of the offences were in a Hgv, both in a car, and yes the second time I got 40 months, reduced to 30 with the drink drive course, which I have completed. I also provided samples both times. So no refusal to give.

The likelihood is that the Traffic Commissioner will tell you this is not what they expect from a professional driver and your HGV licence will be withheld for a further 2-3 months after the ban is up, but then it will be reinstated.

I have received my letter from the Traffic commissioner stating they are aware of my ban, and giving me an option whether to attend in front of them regarding my hgv licence. My question is, would it be better for me to attend in person, or write them a letter stating my apologies for such a stupid mistake?

I would Always attend. If they read your letter and have queries, they will have to make a best guess and will only go on what is in the letter. If you are there and they have any queries you can answer them straight away. A sincere personal apology works best!

I would Always attend. If they read your letter and have queries, they will have to make a best guess and will only go on what is in the letter. If you are there and they have any queries you can answer them straight away. A sincere personal apology works best!

Do you think I've anything to worry about seriously?, I.e will they ban me from HGV's for life?

NO NO NO. They will not ban you for life, but if you get a third conviction they may well do so best behaviour in the drinks front for life......
You will get a delay in the HGV element, your aim is to keep that to a minimum. As I said before, 2-3 months is a good result for you, but your car licence part is not delayed.

NO NO NO. They will not ban you for life, but if you get a third conviction they may well do so best behaviour in the drinks front for life......
You will get a delay in the HGV element, your aim is to keep that to a minimum. As I said before, 2-3 months is a good result for you, but your car licence part is not delayed.

Phew, I was worried that they would reject my HGV licence, I can live with a delay on the return of my HGV as I am in a job I actually like at the moment... so no big rush to return to the trucks.

No, it is an informal meeting. Have a solicitor there will be an unnecessary expense. The TC will want to hear from you in person rather than what someone says on your behalf.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off