Ban almost served hoping to get back on the road

Convicted Driver Insurance

Charliekroker

Hi

if anyone could help with a few questions you would be a life saver. I got banned 2 and a half years ago. Fortunately no one was involved apart from myself and the car but I "blew" a unforgivable high reading and was kicking not to receive a custodial sentence.
Now I have just had a driver's license renewal form through the post and wondered what the next steps were.....

1 - Have a medical examination by a DVLA doctor? Do I have to remain sober for x amount of time i.e. Months?
2 - I will have to do a theory test even though these werent about when I first passed?
3 - I will have to retake my driving test?
4 - I will have to renew my license?
5 - (This is the big that I think may not the hardest) I have to get insurance as a HRO meaning I will be paying really high premiums either x4 or x5 what I was paying before?

It anyone has some good advice I'd really appreciate it. I made an unforgiveable mistake and take ownership of that but want to move forward and don't want this to hold me back.

Thank you

1. If you drink often you may want to abstain for 1-2 months before your medical to ensure a reading that wouldn't ring any alarm bells to the DVLA.

2-3. If you live in Northern Ireland you must re-do both parts of the driving test. In the rest of the UK you will only have to repeat the tests if the court ordered you to when you were sentenced.

4. When you apply for your new licence it works like a renewal, if you have no medical problems and no alcohol related problems you will be issued a 10 year licence.

5. I can only tell you what mine was, my insurance premium was 3x higher than what it was before my ban. £700 vs £2100 but I am 23 so age is a huge factor in the insurance game. You only have to declare your DR10 conviction for 5 years so when you are 5 years from the date of conviction you no longer have to declare and your insurance returns to normal.

1. If you drink often you may want to abstain for 1-2 months before your medical to ensure a reading that wouldn't ring any alarm bells to the DVLA.

2-3. If you live in Northern Ireland you must re-do both parts of the driving test. In the rest of the UK you will only have to repeat the tests if the court ordered you to when you were sentenced.

4. When you apply for your new licence it works like a renewal, if you have no medical problems and no alcohol related problems you will be issued a 10 year licence.

5. I can only tell you what mine was, my insurance premium was 3x higher than what it was before my ban. £700 vs £2100 but I am 23 so age is a huge factor in the insurance game. You only have to declare your DR10 conviction for 5 years so when you are 5 years from the date of conviction you no longer have to declare and your insurance returns to normal.
Thanks really appreciate the advice I'll get on it

Good advice from Grice96, I would just add that you can apply up to 90 days before your renewal date, on the form that DVLA send or via a D1 from the post office.
It is £90 to apply, plus you have to pay for the medical which is about £96.
It can pay to send a new photo with your application. If you do not do this, you will only get a licence for the remainder of the 10 years left since you last submitted one.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off