Awaiting results... didn’t really abstain

Convicted Driver Insurance

HROgirl

I had my medical last week, my ban has ended now so I’m just waiting for my results. I’m a healthy 30 year old female, average weight, exercise regularly and eat healthily, I do enjoy a drink, probably have a few too many once a week (in the week).

I haven’t really abstained from alcohol and I’ve had a few binges prior to my medical, now I think maybe I’ve been a bit stupid and I’m concerned. It was a celebration so i had a bottle of wine 5 days before my medical, then maybe 2 bottles 3 days before. I tend to drink more at the weekends and have maybe a few beers in the week.

I’m interested to hear if anyone passed their medical after having a few drinks like me? Or if they’ve failed also. After reading posts on here I’m a bit concerned, I thought the test was just to prove if you have liver damage or are an alcoholic? Otherwise I’d have abstained from alcohol. I will keep you posted on how I go on as I’m hoping to help others.

Hello can I suggest you read the posts on this forum as there are some good points
From what I have read it may be an issue with your blood results but as I say read from the experts

I had my medical last week, my ban has ended now so I’m just waiting for my results. I’m a healthy 30 year old female, average weight, exercise regularly and eat healthily, I do enjoy a drink, probably have a few too many once a week (in the week).

I haven’t really abstained from alcohol and I’ve had a few binges prior to my medical, now I think maybe I’ve been a bit stupid and I’m concerned. It was a celebration so i had a bottle of wine 5 days before my medical, then maybe 2 bottles 3 days before. I tend to drink more at the weekends and have maybe a few beers in the week.

I’m interested to hear if anyone passed their medical after having a few drinks like me? Or if they’ve failed also. After reading posts on here I’m a bit concerned, I thought the test was just to prove if you have liver damage or are an alcoholic? Otherwise I’d have abstained from alcohol. I will keep you posted on how I go on as I’m hoping to help others.
So depending on strength of wine you had 1 bottle of wine within 5 days of medical and then "maybe" 2 bottles 3 days before, depending on strength of wine you had near enough 27-30 units, (double weekly recommendation). I don't understand the "maybe" 2 bottles bit. Did you declare these binges at your medical if you didn't declare and doctor could feel your liver and your bloods are borderline how can I phrase this you could well be screwed!

And the bit at the end of the post about you wanting to help folk, thats sound but I wouldnt want you to suggest to anyone to drink 3 bottles of vino a week before a medical is extremely helpful.

Sorry to be blunt

So depending on strength of wine you had 1 bottle of wine within 5 days of medical and then "maybe" 2 bottles 3 days before, depending on strength of wine you had near enough 27-30 units, (double weekly recommendation). I don't understand the "maybe" 2 bottles bit. Did you declare these binges at your medical if you didn't declare and doctor could feel your liver and your bloods are borderline how can I phrase this you could well be screwed!

And the bit at the end of the post about you wanting to help folk, thats sound but I wouldnt want you to suggest to anyone to drink 3 bottles of vino a week before a medical is extremely helpful.

Sorry to be blunt

I’m just giving an honest view, yeah I declared :) I’ll let you know the outcome. I’ve probably made another bad decision I agree. The doctor said I look healthy and it should be ok,he was positive,as I said I’m a fit,functioning active 30 year old.

This is not having a few drinks in the run up, this is having a few bottles. You consumed twice the weekly reccomended amount of units, within one week, before a medical exam that you knew would be testing for recent alcohol use. If this was a one off you may get off with it, but if this is your weekly habbit then your CDT will be raised. No two ways about it.

If you told the doctor at the medical that that is what you had to drink the last time you drank then you're in a bad place now. As binge drinking is considered misuse. There have been cases of users being revoked for reporting drinking less units than you have just listed here. Like this one - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/

I don't mean for this reply to be as blunt as it is either, but it's the reality of the situation.

This is not having a few drinks in the run up, this is having a few bottles. You consumed twice the weekly reccomended amount of units, within one week, before a medical exam that you knew would be testing for recent alcohol use. If this was a one off you may get off with it, but if this is your weekly habbit then your CDT will be raised. No two ways about it.

If you told the doctor at the medical that that is what you had to drink the last time you drank then you're in a bad place now. As binge drinking is considered misuse. There have been cases of users being revoked for reporting drinking less units than you have just listed here. Like this one - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/

I don't mean for this reply to be as blunt as it is either, but it's the reality of the situation.
I’ll let you know. Thanks

From what I know - if you are a HRO and your CDT reading is above 1.7% it is an automatic fail by the DVLA. If I am incorrect here - please feel free to put me right!!!

The two issues you then have to prepare yourself for are - a minimum further 6 months off the road (this is classed as 'revoked' as the ban has ended) and you will have to do another HRO medical further down the line.

My understanding is that you will have to pay the £100 odd quid to the DVLA doctor again!!!

It is completely foolish drinking heavily so close to a HRO medical. You really need to weigh up what is the most important priority in your life at present - your driving licence or that bottle of wine?

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off