Arrested 6 Months Ago Drink Driving - No Contact Since - Am I In The Clear

Convicted Driver Insurance

Idiotic

I was arrested 6 months and 1 day ago, for suspicion of drink driving. I wrecked my van into a wall, and had a nasty cut to my lip so could not do a breathalyzer.

I was given a blood test around 3+ hours after the accident, i sent off for my own blood to be tested, and it came back with a BAC reading of 0.38mg/100ml of blood, so over 50% under legal limit.

I thought they may still try and chase a back calculation, because I left the scene of the accident.... they did initially plan to charge me with leaving the scene, but I explained that a bunch of young lads were filming me whilst injured on there phone, so I left because it was late at night, and they were being idiots, so they dropped this, and interviewed me in regards to the drink driving. I admitted I had drank around 8x cans of low strength cider over the period of the whole day (4%) and that I felt as though i was guilty of drink driving.... I did not understand at the time however, how BAC levels work, and that it would have been leaving my system over time, as I had consumed them over a long period, i did not feel drunk when driving, im quite a big guy... I jst assumed I was way way over limit, maybe I would have been just over the limit if they tested me 3 hours earlier?

anyhow, they have not contacted me, and I didn't bother contacting them over the 6 months, as I didn't want anyone looking any deeper into this... I have not been charged with anything, and I went to collect my blood a few days after the crash, and the officer who handed it to me saying I had no bail terms.

I have not changed my phone number or address in this time either. should I contact the police next week, or should I just carry on about my life now?

Don’t contact the police. They have 6 months to lay information about the offence to raise a summons, which can be served later than the 6 months. You have to sweat it out for another 6-8 weeks to see if a summons arrives.
Having said that, given your own reading you obtained, I very much doubt that there will be any action against you

Don’t contact the police. They have 6 months to lay information about the offence to raise a summons, which can be served later than the 6 months. You have to sweat it out for another 6-8 weeks to see if a summons arrives.
Having said that, given your own reading you obtained, I very much doubt that there will be any action against you

So you think it's highly doubtfel that they have contacted the cps in relation to this. I wonder why they didn't contact me with the blood results to tell me no further action.

I thought i was in the clear, but for instance if they DID submit the info lets say last week, then it extends the time by another up to 2 months.

But surely they would need to actually charge me within the 6 months of the offence before laying out a case to the cps, I have never actually been charged.

You would not be charged, that only happens when you are in custody or appear to answer bail.
as neither of these apply to you, the police raise a summons via the court procedure and then serve it on you, summoning you to attend court.
It is only at that time that they also submit a file to the CPS who handle the actual prosecution.
It is the raising of the summons that has to be done within 6 months of the offence if they want to proceed, otherwise they are time barred.

You would not be charged, that only happens when you are in custody or appear to answer bail.
as neither of these apply to you, the police raise a summons via the court procedure and then serve it on you, summoning you to attend court.
It is only at that time that they also submit a file to the CPS who handle the actual prosecution.
It is the raising of the summons that has to be done within 6 months of the offence if they want to proceed, otherwise they are time barred.

if I came back as under the limit, then surely the police would need to contact me for information of a back calculation before they can submit a court summons, or it would just collapse (e.g. height & bodyweight, time of consumption, how many consumed, strength of drink, what time I was tested for alcohol after the incident etc etc)

also, if it has now been over 6 months, would it be harm to contact police to check they haven't made a summons? as they have now ran out of time even if they was to try now, after me phoning them

also, if it has now been over 6 months, would it be harm to contact police to check they haven't made a summons? as they have now ran out of time even if they was to try now, after me phoning them

Maybe I'm being cynical, but doesn't this risk them conveniently saying they have already laid information in time (when they haven't) then do it and pretend they did it in time?

Maybe I'm being cynical, but doesn't this risk them conveniently saying they have already laid information in time (when they haven't) then do it and pretend they did it in time?

The information is laid electronically and time / date stamped so that could not happen.
Idiotic, you could ring them for peace of mind if you want, but bearing in mind your own resultI cannot see that they will be taking any action, They should have let you know, but some officers are not good at giving out good news, only bad.....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off