Applying for new licence

Convicted Driver Insurance
One of the questions asks: Within the last 6 years have yo been told you have liver disease or damage?

I would have to answer yes to that, a quick check with my GP would confirm to them if I was lying.

Just reading the DR1 letter it states:

As your previous driving licence was revoked for medical reasons you will need to include any relevant medical evidence to support your application. Without this evidence, your application will be refused.

This is where I'm struggling. The GP who submitted the DVLA form confirmed that I am fit to drive and my medical condition does not affect my driving ability. It would appear that ticking the box 'yes' to misuse of alcohol was the catalyst for the revocation. I can understand why but I'm struggling to understand why they're requiring medical evidence for a condition that doesn't affect my driving.

For me, no definite diagnosis when other causitive factors are possible is a grey area, what are you doing regarding the alcohol related illnesses box then?

I have also just noticed that there is a note on the form not to alter any answers, so be clear on the answer that you believe applies to you

With regards to your earlier thread, alongside alcohol you are also going to have to explain how your mental health is now stable I would say. Are you still taking the meds that caused insomnia and the subsequent bump?

Also, the DVLA panel do not always make a decision solely on the opinion of the g.p, they will look at all underlying facts.

I'm off the medication that caused the insomnia, took myself off it after the accident. Only on medication that I've been stable on for some time. This is why it all feels so unjust, if it wasn't for the medication I wouldn't be in this situation.

There must be sooooooo many people that fall into the persistent alcohol misuse/drug use category yet hold a licence, its when you fall under the dvla risk categories that the problems come in like curve balls, what I found most troubling is the figures for successful appeals if taken to a magistrates court, its like the dvla are an unchallenged monopoly when it comes to end decisions.

There must be sooooooo many people that fall into the persistent alcohol misuse/drug use category yet hold a licence, its when you fall under the dvla risk categories that the problems come in like curve balls, what I found most troubling is the figures for successful appeals if taken to a magistrates court, its like the dvla are an unchallenged monopoly when it comes to end decisions.
I've considered an appeal due to the accident being due to the medication but decided that because they've also used alcohol misuse as a reason for revocation and that I clearly drank more than the government guidelines that it would be a straightforward win for them and I'll be saddled with their costs.

Dont tick the box for alcohol related illness regarding liver fibrosis unless you have been directly told alcohol was the causitive factor. The questionnaire is scored and you would be opening a real can off worms.
I had to answer yes on the dvla medical questionnaire, to liver disease, as I have stage 0 NAFLD none alcoholic fatty liver disease. But also have 3 years perfect LFT’s

Hi,

I have been on this forum for a while this is my opinion.

1: The DVLA has failed to do it's task when it comes to guidelines.

2: They will blame covid.

3: Anyone that paid for a 25% redutction, then that well have past that time frame, was not re-inbursed the fee for said reduction (Drink Driver Awareness Course).

4: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZ8SqKcNwk&ved=2ahUKEwjI88iehLH6AhWHAxAIHdmQAokQwqsBegQICRAF&usg=AOvVaw0u58gr21v1kKNGxFuPcczf

Keep your head up!

Kind Regards,

Stu

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off