Applying for jobs

Convicted Driver Insurance

Lizzie

Well Known Member
Hi everyone

I'm just after some advice regarding applying for jobs?

The jobs I am looking at more than likely need a DBS check.

At what point did you / do you think you should inform your possible new employer?

I'm sure there will be a post somewhere but I've searched and couldn't find anything.

Many thanks 😊

You need to be up front about a drink drive conviction…… but maybe no too upfront!
When you apply for the job, either by letter or an application form then (unless there is a specific question on the application form) then it would pay to not mention it. Then if you get an interview, you should tell them then, certainly not until the DBS check is requested or even worse when it comes back…..
I have had experience as the Chair of Governors at a school of interviewing for a new head teacher a couple of times. Given the nature of the extended interview process we felt only able to interview 3 people, but 7 applicants seemed ideal. Although this was for a head teacher role, we ended up looking at their A level results and the topics that they had chosen to help us whittle down who to interview.
I will leave you to guess where a candidate would have been in the list had one declared an unspent drink drive conviction. It is quite possible that person could have been the best candidate, but that is the nature of the interview selection process. After the interviews if a conviction was disclosed we would have looked at it in context to inform our decision as to offering the job.

Thanks Price that's what I thought. This particular job is via a CV so if I get to interview stage I shall contact them before and be upfront about my conviction. Just to clarify - is it best to be upfront before interview or just after?

Thanks again

During, not before or they may not suddenly need you for interview. Sell yourself, if it is going well then tell them towards the end, gives you chance to explain the circumstances and put it in context.

During, not before or they may not suddenly need you for interview. Sell yourself, if it is going well then tell them towards the end, gives you chance to explain the circumstances and put it in context.
Even better thank you 😊🙏

Lizzie

From applying for a few jobs myself - you need to declare the drink driving conviction for five years after the date of your conviction.

My understanding of the conviction is that it isn't too much of a barrier to most jobs unless it involves professional driving. My brother (who has been a professional driver most of his working life) has stated that you will never be employed as a bus/coach driver with a DR10 on your driving licence. You will need to wait 11 years to apply for it being removed by the DVLA. I think you can count train driving into that equation too - it all fall downs to public liability at the end of the day! Would you want to be a passenger on a coach knowing the driver has recently been potted for drink driving?

A small handful of other jobs are a no-no with a drink driving conviction. The one that springs to mind is becoming a police officer - aside from 'unspent' convictions, I don't think any Home Office police force accept candidates with 'spent' convictions these days. They do a enhanced DBS check which can flag up all historic cautions/reprimands from X number of years ago.

Most other jobs are fine - you just need to be honest on your application! Even jobs working with children or vulnerable adults are not out of reach. If say you apply for a school based role - the application will be referred to the board of governors who might review the circumstances and make any recommendations.

One major factor is when you are still banned from the road. The prospective employer might ask about how you will commute to work? If you have been re-instated with your driving licence, but the conviction is still 'unspent' - make sure you mention you are back driving again if your licence has been returned.

Drink driving is a criminal offence, but it is kind of like a 'high end' traffic offence. There is no act of malice or dishonesty which impacts on your true character so therefore, it shouldn't create problems in jobs where you are responsible for finances or looking after other people (position of trust).

Good luck anyway.

CJ

If its in the Healthcare sector I wouldnt worry about it to much I would mention it at the interview but in my experience they are not fussed

Lizzie

From applying for a few jobs myself - you need to declare the drink driving conviction for five years after the date of your conviction.

My understanding of the conviction is that it isn't too much of a barrier to most jobs unless it involves professional driving. My brother (who has been a professional driver most of his working life) has stated that you will never be employed as a bus/coach driver with a DR10 on your driving licence. You will need to wait 11 years to apply for it being removed by the DVLA. I think you can count train driving into that equation too - it all fall downs to public liability at the end of the day! Would you want to be a passenger on a coach knowing the driver has recently been potted for drink driving?

A small handful of other jobs are a no-no with a drink driving conviction. The one that springs to mind is becoming a police officer - aside from 'unspent' convictions, I don't think any Home Office police force accept candidates with 'spent' convictions these days. They do a enhanced DBS check which can flag up all historic cautions/reprimands from X number of years ago.

Most other jobs are fine - you just need to be honest on your application! Even jobs working with children or vulnerable adults are not out of reach. If say you apply for a school based role - the application will be referred to the board of governors who might review the circumstances and make any recommendations.

One major factor is when you are still banned from the road. The prospective employer might ask about how you will commute to work? If you have been re-instated with your driving licence, but the conviction is still 'unspent' - make sure you mention you are back driving again if your licence has been returned.

Drink driving is a criminal offence, but it is kind of like a 'high end' traffic offence. There is no act of malice or dishonesty which impacts on your true character so therefore, it shouldn't create problems in jobs where you are responsible for finances or looking after other people (position of trust).

Good luck anyway.

CJ
Thanks CJ 😊

That's good to know, thank you. Am I right in thinking for NHS jobs they ask in the application process?
They do, but all I was asked is was there any more convictions or was that it? They then want an informal chat when the DBS comes back. I am working with people with mental health issues so don't let it put you off applying.

My understanding of the conviction is that it isn't too much of a barrier to most jobs unless it involves professional driving. My brother (who has been a professional driver most of his working life) has stated that you will never be employed as a bus/coach driver with a DR10 on your driving licence. You will need to wait 11 years to apply for it being removed by the DVLA.
Not 100% true in the HGV world, there are plenty of drivers out there with the code on the license some firms will out and out say no, but there are a few out there that will, it's more to do with the insurance policies than anything else, plenty of info about it in the relevant groups on FB and the like, for those that are interested, Granted it is twice as hard to get a job in that 11 year period but it most certainly is do able.
Bus/Coach probably is a different story no information so I can't comment.

Hi,

Becoming a Police Officer with a conviction seem's it does not stop you from becoming part of the Police Force (Not sure if they are spent convictions but guessing they must be).

I know a few Officers, All Great folks with a heart of gold (You aswell John!)

Regards,

Stu

Last edited:
olks with a heart of gold (You
Hi,

Becoming a Police Officer with a conviction seem's it does not stop you from becoming part of the Police Force (Not sure if they are spent convictions but guessing they must be).

I know a few Officers, All Great folks with a heart of gold (You aswell John!)

Regards,

Stu
you have to wait 10 years to apply to be a cop with drink driving https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAs...tective-constable/cautions-convictions.v4.pdf

I am flabbergasted by this post waiting that long to be charged never mind go to court poor folks if it wasn't bad enough that we had made the mistake must be like torture waiting that long for any kind of progression I feel for you people 😔

Not 100% true in the HGV world, there are plenty of drivers out there with the code on the license some firms will out and out say no, but there are a few out there that will, it's more to do with the insurance policies than anything else, plenty of info about it in the relevant groups on FB and the like, for those that are interested, Granted it is twice as hard to get a job in that 11 year period but it most certainly is do able.
Bus/Coach probably is a different story no information so I can't comment.
Yes. There are. Someone has been classed as HRO with 97 or 98 breath, and is back working as an HGV driver after his ban ended and he got his driving licence back. I think that most people find it difficult if they have been logged as having an alcohol issue..my opinion xx

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off