Applying for a mortgage...

Convicted Driver Insurance
My home insurance is with Nationwide and I called and asked this very question. I have 2 convictions and was worried it might preclude me from their home insurance policy. However they said that this would not affect my premiums (I'm not so sure as they have just jumped £50 a year,) and I also managed to get that in writing from them

Getting it in writing is a very good idea too Luna2000....a good tip !

These posts are interesting. I have had my home contents insurance with Admiral for the last two years and had never been asked about criminal convictions. On this occasion I was, and my application was denied.
I then contacted Swinton, who insure a property we own that is rented out. I have always let them know about my conviction and this has never been an issue. I think I only changed because I did an internet price check last year.
Swinton were happy to underwrite my home insurance, and were adamant ( even though I know from what Price says, and my own experience of DBS checks, that it isn’t the case ) that any motoring offence, including failure to produce a sample for breathalyser, is not regarded by them as a criminal conviction.
I think John Price commented that different companies may have differing views about DD, and this seems to support that view.
I guess the point is to check carefully, make sure insurance companies are fully aware of our circumstances, and to feel quite sure that we are covered. The fact that most conversations are recorded is an additional safety measure.

Faced with a problem. I didn't have enough money on deposit to take out a mortgage, and my sister went to the bank to take out a loan for me but was turned down.

This is not a financial advice forum. For that I would google money saving expert forum and make a post on their house buying, renting and selling board .

However just as a side note, if your sister told the bank she was taking out a loan to pay her sisters mortgage deposit then of course they would have turned down the loan, that's irresponsible lending.

As an update....

I called the broker I was with for Building and Contents insurance. They had to go away and check with the underwriter.... who immediately cancelled my policy.

So I've just spent the last 30 mins on Compare the Market and was directed to Intelligent Insurance. You put all your details online as usual, and I of course included showing a "criminal conviction" for a "motoring offence" and that i have had insurance "refused" (due to the reason above) and it actually came back with quote that was quite high, but also asking to call them, which i did.

The lady on the phone was great, immediately went through it with me, and told me they class drink driving as a motoring offence rather than criminal, also told me that as far as they were a concerned I had my previous policy cancelled instead of refused which she amended as we spoke and it immediately dropped the price to pretty much what I was paying before.....entered my payment details....sorted. Really impressed....so far anyway.

Oddly enough I also have a salary protection policy with another broker. That's the one I thought would bite me, but surprisingly they were fine and advised it doesn't affect my policy.... very happy about that.

Anyway, I would urge everyone to please check your insurance if you haven't already and if you aren't sure or it isn't clear then call them. That niggly bit of anxiety you may feel about having to talk about your conviction to someone over the phone (I was a bit anxious for 2 mins), ignore it and get dialling. Once again as I have found out the person on the end of the phone really doesn't care. Actually I've spoken to 4 people today and they were all spot on and that last lady at Intelligent Insurance was good as gold and ended up saving me money.

Good luck!

Hi grice

Hope you are well

That's exactly what I was thinking....they will use any excuse they can. I would just never have made the connection that a drink driving isn't a motoring offence but a criminal offence. Once again, thank god for this forum, I'll be onto my insurance company tomorrow.

And I hope other people read this and realize the same.
I've never made a home insurance claim, but I know relatives that have and not one was asked to provide a DBS check or such like when they made the claim.

I've never made a home insurance claim, but I know relatives that have and not one was asked to provide a DBS check or such like when they made the claim.

It's part of the disclosure form while making a claim, I had to do it with a car insurance claim and a contents cover insurance claim. It's nothing to do with DBS. The insurance industry can check the accuracy of your statement of fact under fraud-prevention legislation without the DBS process.

It's part of the disclosure form while making a claim, I had to do it with a car insurance claim and a contents cover insurance claim. It's nothing to do with DBS. The insurance industry can check the accuracy of your statement of fact under fraud-prevention legislation without the DBS process.
It is also a question asked when you take the policy out in the first instance « do you or anyone else in the household have criminal convictions ». Some insurers will not care , others will decline to insure you. Some do not regard drink driving as a criminal conviction, even though it is . Whether or not they expressly ask about it at the point a claim may be made, if any information on the basis of which the policy was set up is inaccurate, any claim could be rejected .

It really is worth checking if you aren't sure. Like I said earlier the underwriters I was with up until a couple of days ago immediately cancelled on me. If you look deep into the T&C's on a lot of policies it will mention something along the lines of having to inform them of any changes in personal circumstances. A statement like that is open to interpretation of course but its better to be safe etc then ending up not having the insurers pay up if something happens to your home

What you have to think is do they even check? What’s the likelihood of the bank carrying out a DBS check…vanishingly small I’d say. Having said that it shouldn’t really affect the application, you’re allowed to be drunk in your house after all

What you have to think is do they even check? What’s the likelihood of the bank carrying out a DBS check…vanishingly small I’d say. Having said that it shouldn’t really affect the application, you’re allowed to be drunk in your house after all
Two observations about this post;

1. Correct that the bank or insurance company will not carry out a DBS check - cause they are not entitled to do one!
What they could do, if a claim is made and they had suspicions about the claim, is require the claimant to ask the police for a criminal record check, and share the result with the insurance company. For simple claims this is not going to happen, but the bigger the claim, the more likely they are to investigate. This would include a check on local newspapers to see if there was anything ‘iffy’ about the claimant or his / her family. This could throw up court cases.

2. You are allowed to be drunk in your own house, I agree, but if you are drunk and accidentally set fire to your house, they insurance would not pay out. It is for reasons like that you find some insurance companies decline to cover someone with a drink drive conviction……… “you have done something silly whilst in charge of your car after drinking, we don't want to cover your house in case you do the same at home.”

I find with insurance companies is that they can sometimes make up their own rules as they go along and manipulate the Terms & Conditions to suit them.

The insurance industry is built on making money through people's premiums and NOT having to pay out when things go wrong.

As someone has said previously - this forum is not really here for claimant or financial advise.

One thing I have learned since my DD conviction and reading this thread is that if the house insurance company doesn't ask about previous cautions or convictions - raise it with them anyway to save face (if you do have unspent convictions).

Its almost like being upfront and transparent, but ultimately you are turning the tables on the house insurer and making it that little bit harder to wiggle out of paying up if something goes wrong in the future.

CJ

Totally agree be upfront and I asked for them to record it & let me have a copy. As the posts have said some companies dont classifying DD as criminal but legally it is. Better to be safe than sorry to find a claim gets rejected
Several companies won’t cover DD so best to check before application

When I had trouble getting a mortgage, I turned to a mortgage broker. He helped me find a bank that was willing to give me a mortgage on favorable terms. I had a pretty low credit rating and almost all banks refused me a mortgage, but there is always a way out. Perhaps you too should contact a mortgage broker. At the very least, it's worth a try. I used to pay £1100 for rent every month, and now I'm paying £1100 for a mortgage. But it will be my apartment in the future, so I thought it was a very worthwhile investment.

I used to pay £1100 for rent every month, and now I'm paying £1100 for a mortgage. But it will be my apartment in the future, so I thought it was a very worthwhile investment.

I have to say £1100 a month on rent/mortgage alone, without the council tax & utilities included seems eye watering. Do you manage to eat each month?

CJ

These posts are interesting. I have had my home contents insurance with Admiral for the last two years and had never been asked about criminal convictions. On this occasion I was, and my application was denied.
I then contacted Swinton, who insure a property we own that is rented out. I have always let them know about my conviction and this has never been an issue. I think I only changed because I did an internet price check last year.
Swinton were happy to underwrite my home insurance, and were adamant ( even though I know from what Price says, and my own experience of DBS checks, that it isn’t the case ) that any motoring offence, including failure to produce a sample for breathalyser, is not regarded by them as a criminal conviction.
I think John Price commented that different companies may have differing views about DD, and this seems to support that view.
I guess the point is to check carefully, make sure insurance companies are fully aware of our circumstances, and to feel quite sure that we are covered. The fact that most conversations are recorded is an additional safety measure.
My home insurance used to be through Nationwide but their premiums became so expensive I decided to switch. I am now ith Admiral and I was up front in telling them about my 2 DUI's.

They said they classified these as motoring offences and it wouldn't be a problem insuring me.

It was different for car insurance as they won't insure you if you have had a ban longer than 24 months.

When I had trouble getting a mortgage, I turned to a mortgage broker. He helped me find a bank that was willing to give me a mortgage on favorable terms. I had a pretty low credit rating and almost all banks refused me a mortgage, but there is always a way out. Perhaps you too should contact a mortgage broker. At the very least, it's worth a try. I used to pay £1100 for rent every month, and now I'm paying £1100 for a mortgage. But it will be my apartment in the future, so I thought it was a very worthwhile investment.
Good for you Jessica

My home insurance used to be through Nationwide but their premiums became so expensive I decided to switch. I am now ith Admiral and I was up front in telling them about my 2 DUI's.

They said they classified these as motoring offences and it wouldn't be a problem insuring me.

It was different for car insurance as they won't insure you if you have had a ban longer than 24 months.

Admiral and Hastings are two car insurance companies who won't entertain anyone with a DR10 on their licence, so it's a little surprising to see that they are okay to provide house insurance.

CJ

Admiral and Hastings are two car insurance companies who won't entertain anyone with a DR10 on their licence, so it's a little surprising to see that they are okay to provide house insurance.

CJ
I asked for a transcript of the conversation I had with their agent. Here it is with name removed.

"Good afternoon

Robinson: How can I help?

Me: Good afternoon. I am considering taking out home and contents insurance cover with Admiral, but I have a Drink Driving convistion from 12th July 2019. I was banned for 27 months anad fined £400. The ban has now expired, but would like to clarify if this is a motoring offence.

Robinson: This is a motoring offence and it is fine for you to setup Home Insurance.

Me: That's great. Thanks. Can you confirm this to me either via email or with a transcript of this conversation. My email address is ??

Robinson: If you would like a copy of this chat, you will be able to request one in this window once it has ended. Please remember to check your junk mail folder.

Robinson: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: No thanks. That's fine.
Robinson: No problem.

Robinson: By the way, we are able to offer you a discount through our multi-policies by adding additional vehicles or properties, would you like me to send you information on how you can get a quote?

Me: Yes thanks. I will have a look at that.
Robinson: Great, would you be interested in a quote for adding a car, a home or a van?

Me: Not sure yet. I will need to think about that.
Robinson: Sure ??, you can check back with us whenever you like.
thumbs_up.png

Robinson: It's been a pleasure talking to you today, thank you for your patience. If you could spare some time at the end of the chat, you are able to leave comments on the service you have received today, any feedback would be greatly appreciated."

I also asked separately about Car Insurance and was told that because my ban was in excess of 24 months, they would not consider me, so below that you would get a quote.

I asked for a transcript of the conversation I had with their agent. Here it is with name removed.

"Good afternoon

Robinson: How can I help?

Me: Good afternoon. I am considering taking out home and contents insurance cover with Admiral, but I have a Drink Driving convistion from 12th July 2019. I was banned for 27 months anad fined £400. The ban has now expired, but would like to clarify if this is a motoring offence.

Robinson: This is a motoring offence and it is fine for you to setup Home Insurance.

Me: That's great. Thanks. Can you confirm this to me either via email or with a transcript of this conversation. My email address is ??

Robinson: If you would like a copy of this chat, you will be able to request one in this window once it has ended. Please remember to check your junk mail folder.

Robinson: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: No thanks. That's fine.
Robinson: No problem.

Robinson: By the way, we are able to offer you a discount through our multi-policies by adding additional vehicles or properties, would you like me to send you information on how you can get a quote?

Me: Yes thanks. I will have a look at that.
Robinson: Great, would you be interested in a quote for adding a car, a home or a van?

Me: Not sure yet. I will need to think about that.
Robinson: Sure ??, you can check back with us whenever you like.
thumbs_up.png

Robinson: It's been a pleasure talking to you today, thank you for your patience. If you could spare some time at the end of the chat, you are able to leave comments on the service you have received today, any feedback would be greatly appreciated."

I also asked separately about Car Insurance and was told that because my ban was in excess of 24 months, they would not consider me, so below that you would get a quote.
Exactly. House and Car insurance are quite different. I too obtained a transcript confirming that I had disclosed and that the XS alcohol was regarded by them as motoring.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off