Applying for a mortgage...

Convicted Driver Insurance

supernova48

In the next couple years I'm hoping to have enough money for a deposit to get a mortgage. I couldn't find any solid information on the internet, but will having a DR10, or more to the point- a criminal record for this affect my chances?

The only information I could kind of find is a question that is asked about having to declare a criminal record that is not related to motoring offences?

Could anyone shed some more light on this?

Thanks

For the purposes of answering a question about criminal convictions, drink driving does not come under motoring offences, it IS a criminal conviction so you would have to declare it for 5 years from the date of your conviction.
Having said that, it is unlikely to affect the application for a mortgage.

Okay, thanks again, Price. From what I've read its going to have more of a factor on home insurance premiums. I guess its kind of black and white with insurance companies and I've read that home insurance premiums can increase by quite a bit with an unspent conviction.

Home contents insurance can be a bit hit and miss. Yes, drink driving is disclosable for this, some companies hike the premium, others are not bothered.
Some take the view that if you have been irresponsible in your car through alcohol then you may be irresponsible with your house and contents after drinking and use this as an excuse to charge more. Certainly if you do not declare the conviction, usually for 5 years, then you run the rust of seeing a claim reduced or declined for ‘Non Disclosure.’

Thanks again, Price. I've managed to find a bit more information since posting this thread, and it all pretty much lines up with what you've said in your previous post.

Are you able to shed any light on the insurance companies? My renewal is up shortly and this is all new to me.
Thanks!

It is down to reading the small print. If they ask “ have you, or anyone living in your household, any criminal convictions”? Then the answer is yes if you have been convicted of drink driving in the past 5 years, but explaining to the insurance company will,produce mixed results. Some will bump up the premium, some will not be bothered. All of them will be bothered if you make a claim and they find that you have lied.......

and the punishment continues even after you have served your sentence !

didnt think for one moment it would effect anything more than car insurance

I guess we must get used to being convicted criminals and pay for it for the rest ofour lives

Last edited:

I guess we must get used to being convicted criminals and pay for it for the rest ofour lives

You do understand drink driving is a criminal offence not a motoring offence??

In the next couple years I'm hoping to have enough money for a deposit to get a mortgage. I couldn't find any solid information on the internet, but will having a DR10, or more to the point- a criminal record for this affect my chances?

The only information I could kind of find is a question that is asked about having to declare a criminal record that is not related to motoring offences?

Could anyone shed some more light on this?

Thanks
I think your criminal record will not affect the approval of the mortgage, well, better to consult with a lawyer

If I want to get a mortgage and I violated traffic laws, it won't affect me in any way?
Most motoring offences will have no effect at all, but if you are asked about a criminal record then drink driving has to be declared because whilst it is a ‘motoring offence’ it is a criminal conviction that will appear on checks.

Many mortgage application forms will ask whether you have a criminal record and, if your conviction was within 5 years, you are legally obligated to detail this (after 5 years you are not obliged due to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act [ROA]).

In the majority of cases it won't be an issue, they are generally looking for convictions like fraud and the like, but if you do not declare it, and for some reason it comes out at a later stage, you could be accused of mortgage fraud!!!

Afternoon

Price1367 & Big Tom have already made valid points. I hope no-one minds if I have my two pen'ith.

What I would say myself about mortgates & house insurance - drink driving HAS TO BE declared as long as it is an unspent conviction.

Any corporate money lender looks at their applicant's background history when considering loans or mortgates. It is almost like an integrity test - if you don't declare a DD conviction and the financial company does a check and finds out - it shows an ellement of dishonesty on the applicant.

Lets be frank - a bank or building society is not going to lend money to dishonest people!?!?!?!?!

As for house insurance - you give the insurer your money to pay a premium. However, insurance companies hate paying out money for claims. If there is any way of invalidating your insurance when you make a claim - insurance people are tricky characters and they will find something trivial if there are any discrepancies.

If you are unlucky to suffer water damage in the home through a burst pipe and the insurance company discover you have a undeclared DD conviction - they will automatically invalidate your insurance and you will have to cover thousands of pounds of damage to your home!!!!

Generally, declaring a DD conviction should have no relevance to mortgates, loans or house insurance - the biggest one is of course car insurance which is very very relevant to drink driving.

My parting comment is, for the sake of a couple of lines on a application form - is it really worth the trouble of not declaring it?

CJ

I learned about this on the TTC course . My insurance company isn’t bothered.

This is very interesting, and glad it came up.

It has prompted me to have a look at my building and contents insurance which has just automatically renewed.

One section of the policy regarding personal history asks:

Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offence (other than motoring offences) or have any prosecutions pending?

The answer was: No

Now of course I have been convicted of drink driving so the answer should be Yes because it is a criminal offence rather than a motoring offence...would you agree?

This is very interesting, and glad it came up.

It has prompted me to have a look at my building and contents insurance which has just automatically renewed.

One section of the policy regarding personal history asks:

Have you ever been convicted of any criminal offence (other than motoring offences) or have any prosecutions pending?

The answer was: No

Now of course I have been convicted of drink driving so the answer should be Yes because it is a criminal offence rather than a motoring offence...would you agree?

In the event of a claim, your insurance would likely use this "false declaration" as grounds to reject your claim. Citing the owness being on you to ensure everything in the policy assumptions are correct at renewal. Contact your insurance to have this corrected.

Okay, thanks again, Price. From what I've read its going to have more of a factor on home insurance premiums. I guess its kind of black and white with insurance companies and I've read that home insurance premiums can increase by quite a bit with an unspent conviction.
My home insurance is with Nationwide and I called and asked this very question. I have 2 convictions and was worried it might preclude me from their home insurance policy. However they said that this would not affect my premiums (I'm not so sure as they have just jumped £50 a year,) and I also managed to get that in writing from them.

In the event of a claim, your insurance would likely use this "false declaration" as grounds to reject your claim. Citing the owness being on you to ensure everything in the policy assumptions are correct at renewal. Contact your insurance to have this corrected.
Hi grice

Hope you are well

That's exactly what I was thinking....they will use any excuse they can. I would just never have made the connection that a drink driving isn't a motoring offence but a criminal offence. Once again, thank god for this forum, I'll be onto my insurance company tomorrow.

And I hope other people read this and realize the same.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off