Appealing second drink driving offence at 2 year point of 3 year ban

• Thread starter Deleted member 13184
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance

Deleted member 13184

Hi all, as per the title I have been a monumental idiot. For the second time. I have suffered from mental health the majority of my adult life im 55 now. As a result of not seeking help and massive trauma issues and near death experiences, relationship breakdowns etc I used alcohol as a crutch.
I'm happy to say I am now free of alcohol completely. I'm not in denial, but I've never classed myself as an alcoholic, never a persistent drinker. But never sought help for my mental health issues. This has also been rectified. I didn't need drink, so it wasn't a drama giving it up.
Now for the good bit, I'm going to appeal to maybe reduce the 3 year sentence, or to have my licence returned at the 2 year point. I am aware my chances are slim to none. It is what it is, ill embrace the 3 years and do the time. Its been a massive disadvantage, as its supposed to be. I've lost maybe 120,000 in work earnings. And obviously socially my life is completely different. My wife walked away when the cars and the money etc etc dried up. Blessing in disguise. I'm now a voluntary worker for the Salvation army delivering furniture as a second man on a van,and I also deliver food parcels on foot. Both the furniture and food parcel delivery would be much enhanced if I had the capability to drive. I was a self employed HGV driver. This is my second DR10. No trucking company worth their salt will touch me now. So this is not about gaining employment etc. Its genuinely about giving back to the public. Any thoughts help or advice would be much appreciated.

As you say, you can apply after a minimum of 2 years, subject to half your ban having been served.
You apply to the court that banned you last. Some courts allow you to apply, ready to have a hearing after the 2 year mark, some only allow the application to be submitted once the 2 year period has been reached.

You are right that 2 drink drive convictions, as well as past mental health issues, would be a major obstacle to you getting a class 2 licence again. After the Glasgow bin lorry incident they are very careful about granting HGV licences.

You are also right that the thrust of your application should be about the benefit to others, that is what the magistrates like to hear. They are likely to ask: “how are you managing to deliver food parcels at the moment... why cannot you continue in this way? How does being able to share the driving instead of just being in the vehicle enhance the work of the Salvation Army?”
If you can get the Salvation Army to confirm that if you had a licence, they would be able to put another vehicle on to do their work then that would show a benefit to society.
Even if you are successful in getting a reduction, you still have the DVLA medical process to go through before you can drive, which could well take several months to explore the mental health side as well as the alcohol, but at least you would have started the process instead of waiting at the end of your ban.

Hi thanks, no its an alias. But thank you.
Anyone who would want my real identity would be very desperate lol

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off