Advise please -

Convicted Driver Insurance

Naish90

Hi, I crashed my car into the back of a lorry last week and I blew 100. I am waiting on court and I am terrified I am going to prison due to the circumstance and my reading. I can’t sleep or eat I haven’t left my house. The lorry was not damaged just the front of my car quite bad. No one was hurt which I am so grateful for! Will I go to prison? I don’t care what punishment I get re fine or ban I deserve it completely, I just can’t get prison out of my head. The police officers were really nice to me as I was a nervous wreck and I was straight up and honest with them from the second it happened. They really looked after me! Does anyone have any advice? I have never been convicted for anything in my life never had any issues with the police I’m terrified.

Welcome to the forum.
Straight answer, you will NOT be going to prison.
You will face a ban of 23-28 months and a community penalty.
The ban can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course.

Think about getting 2 character references from, perhaps, your workplace… and someone of some standing in the community (not a relative) these can be handed into the court to show that this was not your usual behaviour.

Welcome to the forum.
The ban can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course.

Think about getting 2 character references from, perhaps, your workplace… and someone of some standing in the community (not a relative) these can be handed into the court to show that this was not your usual behaviour.
Thank you for your reply, have you had a similar case? I’m so worried about the crashing part and being 3x over. I have asked a friend who works for a governing body and will be asking my director. I drive for a job but work have said they will work around my ban (not deserved at all) will that help mentioning in court?

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, also what is a community penalty?

If your employer gives you a reference saying they think highly of you enough to find you an alternative job rather than sack you from a driving job, that will look good.
A community penalty is something the court gives people at a certain level of offence. Your reading ‘qualifies’ you for that.
It can take the form of help, like a mental health or alcohol treatment order if the person needs it, or, as in your case, in the form of punishment by requiring you to complete a certain number of hours community service.
This can range from working in a charity shop to helping paint a community centre or whatever service is needed in the area that you are in.

Last edited:
If your employed gives you a reference saying they think highly of you enough to find you an alternative job rather than sack you from a driving job, that will look good.
A community penalty is something the court gives people at a certain level of offence. Your reading ‘qualifies’ you for that.
It can take the form of help, like a mental health or alcohol treatment order if the person needs it, or, as in your case, in the form of punishment by requiring you to complete a certain number of hours community service.
This can range from working in a charity shop to helping paint a community centre or whatever service is needed in the area that you are in.
Ok thank you for your help. One last thing I have a holiday booked for end of December… would any of this stop that from happening? Obviously if it does I completely deserve it but I can maybe pay to send a family member on it instead of myself. Last question I promise. You have been a great help.

If you did get a community penalty with ‘community service’ , there will be a set amount of hours for you to complete in a fixed time, but there would be leeway for prior commitments so a booked holiday will be no problem.

It doesn’t have to be the last question…. Feel free to ask more as and when issues come to mind.

Would a letter from myself be beneficial?
Ye
Yes definitely write to the magistrate. They do read it and they do listen . Don’t worry to much it’s plain to see you’ve lots of regret and remorse . Also you have got a great employer by the sounds of it and these things go heavily in your favour .

It’s a bump in the road and a mistake that hopefully you won’t do again .

Stop worrying and prepare your defence and apologies etc .

Good luck

NO, you are there, speak to the magistrates yourself and express remorse. Smartly dressed.
If you feel you will be stuck for what to say then by all means write it down to read out yourself, but do not write a letter to hand in.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off