Advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

GGG

Well Known Member
Hi all

I was caught DD with collision at start of January and banned for 18 months at end of January, I rang my insurance (not part of admiral group) up prior to court hearing informing them I wanted to cancel policy due to the circumstances, (I made them aware I had an upcoming court date and expected to be banned, they informed me the claim would be paid out at full fault on me due to this) they were fine with this but informed me I would have to pay pro rata for remaining 4 months of my policy due to there being an active claim from the collision.
I payed this and was issued with letter stating my policy had been cancelled at my request.
I have now received a request from them that I send a copy of the court outcome to them so they can use with any correspondence from the 3rd party insurers or solicitors.
Do I have to send them this paperwork? Why would they need this? As far as I'm aware they have full access to my driving licence/record through DVLA database.

Hi GGG

Normally, most insurers will cover any costs associated your DD related to the other driver.

Whoever, they generally won't cover you for any costs related to repairing your own car, and if you damaged e.g. a lamp post, then the Council could come after you personally for the costs.

This could mean that you are left with an unusable and unsaleable vehicle that you may still be paying finance on as well as a debt to any other 3rd party.

That may be why they want a copy of the court verdict.

I hope not, but it could be.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off