Advice welcomed

Convicted Driver Insurance

Benros91

I drink drove on Monday morning 3am and crashed into a parked car, got some injuries but luckily no one else was involved. Fully co operated with police and think I blew 109 at the station (in Scotland) I’ve been given a court date on the 8th of April and have been in touch with a solicitor, this is my first offence but I’ve never been so scared of what will happen and there is a big chance I could lose my job as I work in dental. I’ve informed my employer who are being very understanding and supportive but in the end it’s not up to them, I think what happens in court could have a big impact and I’m just looking for any advice anyone has? I also realise I will have to pay for damage to the parked car as my insurance (1st central) will ask for this back and I’m scared if I have no job there will be no chance I can pay it. Thank you

Dont know how the accident will affect your case....but i blew 111,used the duty solicitor and had my ban and fine reduced by a 1/3 because i pled guilty......banned for two years, reduced to 18 months after solicitor asked for drink driving awareness course, and fined £210.....was in court for less than 10 minutes and only spoke to confirm name and address and plead guilty....dress smartly and look remorseful,let the solicitor do the talking.....good luck

I was concerned how I could pay my fine as I only work part time. However the court gave me a means test form and I paid £50/month. I used the duty solicitor and the court case was really short. In and out.
However I did not do the drink aware course as it was an added expense and as I had written my car off it would be some time before I intended to drive. Also I was mortified what I had done, learnt my lesson, and did not feel the need for a course to re-educate me.
May I say how very brave you are telling your employers. That must of taken some doing. I wish you well, and try not to worry.

One thing I learned from my DD conviction is that it works in stages. First is the horror of event (and the stress/ anxiety that comes with it), then the court case, then going through the ban and then, just like yourself, dealing with the insurance problems afterwards. But you will get through it.
A ban is inevitable so you have time to prepare for the practicalities of that - alternative means of transport etc. It's great that your work has been supportive, so keep them close. Unless your primary work involves driving, I have not heard of people losing their jobs for DD.
In terms of insurance, I strongly recommend reading the thread here - there are some horror stories about 'bully' tactics used by the companies to get payment back. This is the stage I am going through now and my crash was 2 years ago. As everyones case is different, I would suggest getting advice before replying to any correspondence from the insurance company - a good place to start is here.
Best of luck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off