Advice please

• Thread starter Deleted member 15662
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance
Really? Do I take it with me or send it in advance? What kind of letter? An apology?
Really? Do I take it with me or send it in advance? What kind of letter? An apology?
I wrote this for you a week or so ago and also you were given advice by others on here about solicitors etc .

Did you actually get any legal advice
Did you tell your employer ?

There’s no point asking people to help and then not being proactive and helping yourself . Then coming on here asking the same questions again having done nothing.

Sorry to be blunt but it’s how you come across .
…………………………………………………..

I can see your anxiety is through the roof and understandably so . Your trail of thought is going out of control .
As some one with pretty major mental health problems myself I was exactly the same .
No body here can answer the question on your career. My advice would be speak to your head or deputy head or who ever is designated. Be open , sincere and honest with them as to what’s happening. If you do this then they will respect you and help you if they value you as an employee. That is one massive part dealt with. .

As for legal advice then you will be open to being ripped off by solicitors etc it’s par for the course . As a few have said I’d contact the courts and see who they have on the day etc . Or as I have done just use the duty solicitor on the day . I would recommend doing a pre prepared statement for the solicitor to hand to the magistrate.
If your supervisor at work knows in advance then a statement or character ref from them will go along way . You are now in a damage limitation process and so as such need to build a defence based on your previous good character and your career and life etc .

I take it this is your first offence and are of previous good character etc etc . You are In a high pressure job and have as we all have been through a very trying time in recent times with the covid situation.

Are you on medication and under a doctor for mental health problems or is that a wild card you hoped to throw in as means to get off the charge . If so it’s a crap card to play as it will definitely hinder you as far as the return of your licence .. trust me I’m very experienced in that field .

Today or as soon as possible speak to your colleague and get this out and dealt with . It’s hard and awkward but we are all human and prone to mistakes .

Try to think rationally please.. and get back to us should you need any further advice .

People in here are firm but fair so DO NOT TAKE ANY COMMENTS PERSONALLY..

Take care and please stay strong

I wrote this for you a week or so ago and also you were given advice by others on here about solicitors etc .

There’s no point asking people to help and then not being proactive and helping yourself . Then coming on here asking the same questions again having done nothing.

…………………………………………………..

I can see your anxiety is through the roof and understandably so . Your trail of thought is going out of control .
As some one with pretty major mental health problems myself I was exactly the same .
No body here can answer the question on your career. My advice would be speak to your head or deputy head or who ever is designated. Be open , sincere and honest with them as to what’s happening. If you do this then they will respect you and help you if they value you as an employee. That is one massive part dealt with. .

As for legal advice then you will be open to being ripped off by solicitors etc it’s par for the course . As a few have said I’d contact the courts and see who they have on the day etc . Or as I have done just use the duty solicitor on the day . I would recommend doing a pre prepared statement for the solicitor to hand to the magistrate.
If your supervisor at work knows in advance then a statement or character ref from them will go along way . You are now in a damage limitation process and so as such need to build a defence based on your previous good character and your career and life etc .

I take it this is your first offence and are of previous good character etc etc . You are In a high pressure job and have as we all have been through a very trying time in recent times with the covid situation.

Are you on medication and under a doctor for mental health problems or is that a wild card you hoped to throw in as means to get off the charge . If so it’s a crap card to play as it will definitely hinder you as far as the return of your licence .. trust me I’m very experienced in that field .

Today or as soon as possible speak to your colleague and get this out and dealt with . It’s hard and awkward but we are all human and prone to mistakes .

Try to think rationally please.. and get back to us should you need any further advice .

…………………………………………………..

Actually I’ve done nothing else since it happened. I’ve found a solicitor, who is slow to answer my questions.
I’ve read conflicting things on here, hence asking questions for clarification. Some say don’t bother writing anything, others say to write to the magistrate. I’m trying to gauge the consensus and make a judgement.
Sorry I come across as having done nothing, but on the contrary, I’ve done so much I’ve barely slept. I thought this was a forum for help and advice…?
You know nothing about my life and stresses. It’s natural to get repetitive and panic, given what’s happened.

Actually I’ve done nothing else since it happened. I’ve found a solicitor, who is slow to answer my questions.
I’ve read conflicting things on here, hence asking questions for clarification. Some say don’t bother writing anything, others say to write to the magistrate. I’m trying to gauge the consensus and make a judgement.
Sorry I come across as having done nothing, but on the contrary, I’ve done so much I’ve barely slept. I thought this was a forum for help and advice…?
You know nothing about my life and stresses. It’s natural to get repetitive and panic, given what’s happened.
Fair enough….
I don’t know you and your life no your correct . However I did have the good intention to give you my time and advice based on experience and try to get you to look at things in a calmer way .

As you have pointed out I don’t know you etc then I won’t bother wasting any more time on you and that big chip on your shoulder .

Get on with it !!

I’ve found this thread very helpful.
Noangel25 gives good advice.
I haven’t sorted out my solicitor yet (I’m guilty of trying to bury my head in the sand) so you’re ahead of me there SS1234, well done. Do you have any tips for finding a solicitor? I blew over 100, had my young child in the car, and hit 3 parked cars so am on very much the worse end of the spectrum.
I can get character references from work so will ask for that, and will do a letter of apology.
I’ve already apologised to the people whose cars I damaged, and I apologised to the police. (And I will be forever apologising to my child).

Fair enough….
I don’t know you and your life no your correct . However I did have the good intention to give you my time and advice based on experience and try to get you to look at things in a calmer way .

As you have pointed out I don’t know you etc then I won’t bother wasting any more time on you and that big chip on your shoulder .

Get on with it
I’ve found this thread very helpful.
Noangel25 gives good advice.
I haven’t sorted out my solicitor yet (I’m guilty of trying to bury my head in the sand) so you’re ahead of me there SS1234, well done. Do you have any tips for finding a solicitor? I blew over 100, had my young child in the car, and hit 3 parked cars so am on very much the worse end of the spectrum.
I can get character references from work so will ask for that, and will do a letter of apology.
I’ve already apologised to the people whose cars I damaged, and I apologised to the police. (And I will be forever apologising to my child).
Accusing me of having a chip on my shoulder and telling me to get on with it is not helpful. People on here are very vulnerable and emotionally unstable. Sorry to hear what you are going through. I’m struggling myself. I did find this forum helpful, but don’t come on here to be told I have a chip on my shoulder. I’ve found it hard to take everything in and can’t remember what advice I’ve been given. My head’s spinning.

As you’ve noticed , there is a lot of advice , quite a bit conflicting, but all genuine . The problem with soliciting advice , and checking and rechecking ( I do this , it’s anxiety), is that you get more and more confused . There is no set rule . I personally don’t feel a letter to the Court will serve any purpose in terms of the sentencing exercise . If , however it makes you feel better do it . If you really want to do it, you’ll know what to put . It will sort itself out .

I don’t think it ‘counts against you’ to not have references to hand in, but it does put you in a better light with the magistrates.

Could it go against me if I don’t have any? I really don’t know who to ask. I’m not brave enough to face anyone yet!
Good Afternoon,
I hope you feel better today. I can only echo each of the previous advice you have received on this Forum. The people on this Forum are not here to blame or to treat you differently. We are all in the same pot, more or less. I have had my Court date last Wednesday with very high readings of 235mg blood, no accident nor damage involved, but because I was on the other side of the road when a good citizen made me stop and called the Police, I was not only classed a HRO, but also been told I could of caused an accident, which is probably the same thing with actually causing an accident.
I have got a solicitor - paid £1040 with VAT- I know, very expensive, but I used my instinct and chose to pay more to obtain what I wanted- No community order. I am a mother of 2 ( 14 and 5 yrs old), working 30 hours per week and also a full time student, so a community order was something I was really after...The ban itself would of reduced, but the main thing for me was to be able to look after my children.

The solicitor has sent me some guidelines on how the character references should be worded, but I am sure any reference will help. I have got one from my employer which realistically should have been on a company headed paper, but wasn't and no one from my next door neighbour, as a friend and neighbour. My employer and my next door neighbour are the only people that know about my offence, it will be my decision if I want to find a reason for not driving or tell people.

Anything that is relevant about you and your family commitments will help the Court to look at you in a better light. English is not my first language and I am very emotional, but if you feel that you are strong enough you could possibly represent yourself. I would of done a good job if I was a native British or not so emotional. Take the advices you feel it will help you. I now have a 24 months which will be reduced to 18 months if I complete the course offered by the Court without my solicitor even asking them, no community order, but a £417 fine- which I can pay.

I was in your position a week ago, but once you will get a railcard and a bus pass, you will find that it's not too bad.

Good Luck xx

I don’t think it ‘counts against you’ to not have references to hand in, but it does put you in a better light with the magistrates.
Good Afternoon,
I hope you feel better today. I can only echo each of the previous advice you have received on this Forum. The people on this Forum are not here to blame or to treat you differently. We are all in the same pot, more or less. I have had my Court date last Wednesday with very high readings of 235mg blood, no accident nor damage involved, but because I was on the other side of the road when a good citizen made me stop and called the Police, I was not only classed a HRO, but also been told I could of caused an accident, which is probably the same thing with actually causing an accident.
I have got a solicitor - paid £1040 with VAT- I know, very expensive, but I used my instinct and chose to pay more to obtain what I wanted- No community order. I am a mother of 2 ( 14 and 5 yrs old), working 30 hours per week and also a full time student, so a community order was something I was really after...The ban itself would of reduced, but the main thing for me was to be able to look after my children.

The solicitor has sent me some guidelines on how the character references should be worded, but I am sure any reference will help. I have got one from my employer which realistically should have been on a company headed paper, but wasn't and no one from my next door neighbour, as a friend and neighbour. My employer and my next door neighbour are the only people that know about my offence, it will be my decision if I want to find a reason for not driving or tell people.

Anything that is relevant about you and your family commitments will help the Court to look at you in a better light. English is not my first language and I am very emotional, but if you feel that you are strong enough you could possibly represent yourself. I would of done a good job if I was a native British or not so emotional. Take the advices you feel it will help you. I now have a 24 months which will be reduced to 18 months if I complete the course offered by the Court without my solicitor even asking them, no community order, but a £417 fine- which I can pay.

I was in your position a week ago, but once you will get a railcard and a bus pass, you will find that it's not too bad.

Good Luck xx
Also, try not to go too much into your personal circumstances... If you have mental issues or alcohol problems...

I can relate to a lot of your story. The not knowing is the worst part. If you were caught red handed I assume you'll plead guilty. That means disqualification is unavoidable but it makes the case a little more straightforward so solicitor's fees shouldn't be more than £400 as stated above. Just call a few local solicitors and ask them.

With my case I was found sleeping in a car park. I can't remember driving but assume I was. I got a solicitor who advised me to not admit driving if I couldn't remember doing it but he was very clear that I should not deny it either. It was then left to the police to prove. In the end they couldn't prove I was driving so I was done for drunk in charge which allowed me to keep my license. For that reason the solicitor was a massive help.

My case also didn't make the paper. Maybe that charge doesn't make as good a story but I'd decided to hold off telling anybody until it made the paper. In the end nobody ever found out except one close friend who I confided in. I also found this forum to be of great help.

Looking back I think the important thing is to not do anything too hastily. It's an awful experience so maybe get a friend who you trust and talk through it with them. You might decided to then tell your whole family or not.

Personally I'd recommend you get a solicitor. It could mean you don't even need to attend court. Thankfully I didn't.

Also ask any questions on here. Unfortunately we all know too well that your going through.

Best of luck and remember that as bad as it is it'll blow over.

“Personally I'd recommend you get a solicitor. It could mean you don't even need to attend court. Thankfully I didn't.”
not sure that is the case in Northern Ireland but it certainly is not the case in England, you cannot get your case dealt with in your absence here by just getting the solicitor to go for you.

“Personally I'd recommend you get a solicitor. It could mean you don't even need to attend court. Thankfully I didn't.”
not sure that is the case in Northern Ireland but it certainly is not the case in England, you cannot get your case dealt with in your absence here by just getting the solicitor to go for you.

You can get a solicitor to go for you in Northern Ireland if you have a good reason as to why you can't attend. I was not present for my court case as I was in rehab.

Differences again with Northern Ireland, Grice!
The English courts take the view that they want you in front of the magistrates when you are disqualified so there is no doubt that you have been told, and informed of the consequences of driving whilst banned.
Imagine getting a letter in Northern Ireland from your solicitor saying “To confirm the I was in court for you that you were disqualified 4 days ago……
“But I was driving yesterday and was stopped by the police and asked to produce my documents….!!!!”

I actually wonder what difference getting character witness statements makes to the court.

For my first offence in 2017, I blew 124 at the Police Station on a Friday evening. I was then kept in police custody all weekend due, according to them, to the high reading and went to court on Monday direct from custody.

No time for references.

Plead guilty and was given a 20 month ban and a £400 fine, which in Scotland is bang on the guidelines for my reading.

Aren’t actually any guidelines for scotland, just the same minimum 12 month ban as in England and then at the discretion of the Sheriff.
That is why a lot of bans in Scotland are for just 12 months, so I would agree that references for there may not be particularly relevant, but they can make a difference in England and Wales.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off