Advice please

• Thread starter Deleted member 15662
  • Start date
Convicted Driver Insurance
It’s the first time I’ve ever had a total memory blackout. I drank less than I’ve had before, so this is what’s really disturbing me.
As you say, alcohol affects the mind differently at different stages in life. I’ve had the year from hell - incredibly stressful - so I guess that has something to do with it. I can’t explain it any other way.
I’ve already decided to cut it out completely. I can’t risk this ever happening again. It’s terrified me!
Thank you.
Good idea to cut it out completely. What were your readings (?) as if they put you into the HRO category; then this will be expected of you anyway. Also I’d be careful of mentioning the total blackout off this site: I wouldn’t want it to fuel any further reason to not return your licence. Obviously, if you don’t think it was alcohol related then you seriously need to get this checked out though x

I have my court day this Wedneaday and I have been in bed for 3 days… all I want is to sleep. I was so stressed about the night I was arrested as I didn’t knew what I did, but read the Police statement and God, even being intoxicated I have cooperated and been ever so polite, but still..it will affect our lives to a certain degree. Take care
Mine’s the week after. I haven’t seen the police statement yet. Good luck. I’m so worried about the effect on my children too. They must be so ashamed of me! Let me know how it goes…

Good idea to cut it out completely. What were your readings (?) as if they put you into the HRO category; then this will be expected of you anyway. Also I’d be careful of mentioning the total blackout off this site: I wouldn’t want it to fuel any further reason to not return your licence. Obviously, if you don’t think it was alcohol related then you seriously need to get this checked out though x
It was 62 in the police station.
I don’t know how to get round the memory loss. The truth is, I can’t remember any of it! But that could, seemingly, go against me!

I don’t know how to get round the memory loss. The truth is, I can’t remember any of it! But that
I don’t know how to get round the memory loss. The truth is, I can’t remember any of it! But that could, seemingly, go against me!
what the other poster was aluding to , I think , is that the DVLA can withdraw licences on a range of medical grounds, and unexplained blackouts could be one of these . I’d say, in terms of your account to the court , keep it simple . You drank too much , have little recollection and you’re sorry. Your memory loss is not mitigating what you did , so I’d say don’t dwell on it.

Thank you. That makes sense.
I’m so horrified as it’s not something I’ve ever done and can’t remember doing! Yet I was behind the wheel and can’t dispute that! I don’t know how I’d have got through the last week without this forum! Thank you x

How does an early guilty plea work? When do you plead guilty to qualify?

Hi,

The 1st time at court is when you get the chance. Quote "If you plead guilty or indicate a plea of guilty at the first available opportunity (usually your first appearance at the magistrates' court) you will normally be given 1/3 credit, i.e. a one-third reduction in the sentence which would otherwise have been imposed if you were found guilty at trial."

Unfortunately a minimum 12 month ban is going to happen regardless (if pleading guilty) -25% if you take the Drink Driving rehabilitation course but this must be requested in court (if not offered).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Stu

Last edited:
Hi,

The 1st time at court is when you get the chance. Quote "If you plead guilty or indicate a plea of guilty at the first available opportunity (usually your first appearance at the magistrates' court) you will normally be given 1/3 credit, i.e. a one-third reduction in the sentence which would otherwise have been imposed if you were found guilty at trial."

Unfortunately a minimum 12 month ban is going to happen regardless (if pleading guilty) -25% if you take the Drink Driving rehabilitation course but this must be requested in court (if not offered).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Stu
Thank you. So would you get 1/3 off and then a further 25% reduction for completing the driving course?

Thank you. So would you get 1/3 off and then a further 25% reduction for completing the driving course?
Hi,

12 month ban -25% = 9 month ban.
The 1/3 will reduce the fine mostly and you will make the magistrates life a bit easier, which may go in your favour.

Kind regards,

Stu

The discount for your early guilty plea will reduce any fine by 1/3 and will ensure the court costs are lower. Also the magistrates may be more lenient as you are not wasting their time.

The early guilty plea WILL NOT however reduce any ban length. Yes you can get up to 25% off the ban length with the course, but the guilty pleas will only reduce the financial side of things.

The discount for your early guilty plea will reduce any fine by 1/3 and will ensure the court costs are lower. Also the magistrates may be more lenient as you are not wasting their time.

The early guilty plea WILL NOT however reduce any ban length. Yes you can get up to 25% off the ban length with the course, but the guilty pleas will only reduce the financial side of things.
This is legally correct. The District Judge who dealt with me , however , expressly stated he was reducing the ban ( not by much ) on account of the EGP

This is legally correct. The District Judge who dealt with me , however , expressly stated he was reducing the ban ( not by much ) on account of the EGP
Ah, the variance that District Judges bring to a case!!!!!!!!
They are entitled to take all matters into account when deciding the length of a ban for drink driving but should normally stay within the sentencing brackets that are given to them, and magistrates.
They can give 1/3rd off the fine for an early guilty plea, but What they cannot do is give 1/3rd off the ban for an early guilty plea (or rather they cannot admit that they are doing that, just that they have decided to sentence at the bottom of that relevant bracket)

They are entitled to take all matters into account when deciding the length of a ban for drink driving but should normally stay within the sentencing brackets that are given to them, and magistrates.
They can give 1/3rd off the fine for an early guilty plea, but What they cannot do is give 1/3rd off the ban for an early guilty plea (or rather they cannot admit that they are doing that, just that they have decided to sentence at the bottom of that relevant bracket)
Quite : he specifically stated he was reducing it . We knew it was not legally correct but he was a formidable individual and neither I nor my solicitor were likely to argue 😜

Do I need character references? I haven’t told anyone except family and my employer (agency)
I can’t face telling anyone at the moment. I wanted to wait until I’ve been to court. I’ve struggled with friendships - ostracised from a friendship group as my daughter’s autistic - long story. Life has been very difficult.

They are not essential, they just help balance things a bit.
They hear all the bad things about what you did, so nice things about you helps put it in perspective as it being a ‘one off’.

They are not essential, they just help balance things a bit.
They hear all the bad things about what you did, so nice things about you helps put it in perspective as it being a ‘one off’.
Could it go against me if I don’t have any? I really don’t know who to ask. I’m not brave enough to face anyone yet!

Could it go against me if I don’t have any? I really don’t know who to ask. I’m not brave enough to face anyone yet!
Ask your employer pressuring you told them . It all helps with getting across your good nature . Your not a career criminal you made a mistake .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off