Advice on disclosing and conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

RSC

Established Member
Proving that DD is the ban that keeps on giving and not in a good way.

I'm undertaking an online adult tutoring course and have just been informed that the course supplier will not even consider employing me as my conviction is not yet spent. (an enhanced DBS was required). What is particularly galling is that they provide a lot of courses to ex-offenders. I have the enhanced DBS due to volunteering commitments. That organisation called me in to explain the circumstances and then had to defer to its Head Office for a final decision. Which was a yes by the way.

I have another adult education interview (non tutoring this time) coming up and as part of this, I have to disclose etc. Does anybody have any advice? I realise some companies/organisations take part in the Ban the Box scheme (whereby they don't ask about such things until an interview). I thought being honest and up front was the only thing to do but with some places having blanket policies - well I'm confused. Am I totally unemployable until it's spent?

Proving that DD is the ban that keeps on giving and not in a good way.

I'm undertaking an online adult tutoring course and have just been informed that the course supplier will not even consider employing me as my conviction is not yet spent. (an enhanced DBS was required). What is particularly galling is that they provide a lot of courses to ex-offenders. I have the enhanced DBS due to volunteering commitments. That organisation called me in to explain the circumstances and then had to defer to its Head Office for a final decision. Which was a yes by the way.

I have another adult education interview (non tutoring this time) coming up and as part of this, I have to disclose etc. Does anybody have any advice? I realise some companies/organisations take part in the Ban the Box scheme (whereby they don't ask about such things until an interview). I thought being honest and up front was the only thing to do but with some places having blanket policies - well I'm confused. Am I totally unemployable until it's spent?

They sound to have a very narrow view of things. Obviously it is necessary to declare for work , paid or voluntary, that would require a DBS check . However many organisations are more understanding / pragmatic / assess on a case by case basis . I volunteer in a centre for adults with learning disabilities and it was not regarded as an impediment at any stage . Don’t get disheartened.

Reactions: RSC
They sound to have a very narrow view of things. Obviously it is necessary to declare for work , paid or voluntary, that would require a DBS check . However many organisations are more understanding / pragmatic / assess on a case by case basis . I volunteer in a centre for adults with learning disabilities and it was not regarded as an impediment at any stage . Don’t get disheartened.
PS. Price will be able to advise , I’m sure , but I’d always be upfront . I’d be too afraid not to be. If you got employment based on a false declaration you could , if they found out , be dismissed or , exceptionally , be prosecuted for obtain by deception.

As you say the crime that keeps on giving !
Most educational organisations pride themselves on equality & diversity
So a couple of points to explore
A) who owns or funds the course provider - do the get any government or local authority grants
B) what is their ethos on equality & equal opportunities
This info will be on web sites
If they have charity status ( & a lot of even top universities have bits) they you will find their annual report to charity commission - that will be interesting to see re all the above
For the company that has just turned you down ask for a Copy of their equal Opps policy
You may be able to lodge a complaint especially if you find they have have grants
A local mp would love to take on board this as it’s very topical
Won’t help you for this post , but for others it may

For new applications perhaps contact organisations as a mystery shopper & ask for their policy
It may help guide your application & help you “drop in the “ that you want to work for x as they have xxxxx but also an equal Opps policy

I would after doing the above homework now ask for an informal interview & say at that point I don’t want to waste your time but xx
It way also be worth a call to the local probation service to see what they say
Keep looking ahead - positive head in etc

Reactions: RSC
Have to prepare and present a 30 minute lesson online. Know won't get the "offered" work shadowing and interview but seriously tempted to make it all about how demanding an ahem clean DBS is discriminatory. But I do want the qualification. Weighs up satisfaction.......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off