Advice needed hro medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mama_A

I’ve read so many posts on here but still unsure on what the right thing to do is regarding my medical. Basically I was banned over 20 years ago (I wasn’t driving but I did take the blame which resulted in a ban, I’ve left it this long because I’ve never had the desire to drive until now)
So I quit all alcohol back in May and sent off my application. I was told 10 weeks later everything was delayed by probably months so I had a few bottles of wine over about the space of 9/10 days my letter arrived Monday! I know I have 6 weeks which takes me to mid September but the doctor doing it goes on 2 weeks holiday from 14th August then there’s the bank holiday. Do I wait until 1st week in September and completely abstain or maybe stock to Saturday night bottle of wine with the exception of the week before or would I be okay to book it in for the 14th? I have lots of occasions coming up where I would like a drink before September and husband said if it was himself he would get it done as he thinks I will pass, but he’s not a medical professional! So from May 10th to 21st July I had zero alcohol. I had a bottle of wine 10units on 22nd, 24th, 26th and half a bottle on 23rd July, nothing on 28th & 29th nothing on 31st a bottle of Prosecco 8.6 units on 1st and 2nd of August then nothing since. I’m thinking typing that it sounds like a lot but catching up with friends and family after lockdown has added more than I thought. So do I take the test on 12th or 13th of this month or do I wait until 2nd September?

If you want your licence back then you need to stop drinking NOW, if you tell the DVLA what you have been drinking once you attend the medical on the alcohol questionarre (as on the forum) then more than likely a refusal will apply, the CDT test can pinpoint little to none alcohol, so basically you want the `lowest reading possible, if they find any indications alcohol issues are present they will investigate....so fundamentally you need the furthest away date possible.....

Agree with honestman.
Go for the later date and DO NOT DRINK in the meantime.
You have drunk almost 4 times the weekly recommended amount of units, in 10 days, knowing you would be having a medical soon, and there are a few events coming up where you would like a drink..
You have to decide which is more important in your life, alcohol or your driving licence.....

Hello. I am HRO and happy to report I got my medical booked for 17th August 2020 after my ban expired 6th July. I haven't been using alcohol but I have enjoyed Nosecco and some 0.05% and 0.5% 'alcohol free' alternatives over the past 10 weeks or so. I know these are low and well below the recommended unit limits but I am not sure if these will upset my CDT. I rather stupidly read the 'alcohol free' large print on my alcohol free alternatives but not the 'contains alcohol lower than 0.5% or 0.05%' until last Monday. Any advice greatly appreciated.

You would drown in liquid before those drinks increased your CDT level...!

Thank you price1367. I have been worrying like mad! The moral of the story is to always read the small print of course. I did work out my alcohol units as shown on the course to reduce my disqualification and it is very low but I don't want to jeopardise anything after a long time not driving.

Dearie me 🙈. And did you have to chase chase chase post lockdown or did the medical letter just arrive out of blue?
HI I had to chase. Loads of unsuccessful calls to DVLA but one day i did get through and on stressing I was a critical keyworker I seemed to get somewhere.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off