Admiral reducing my 8 years no claims to 3 years, but said they would put it back up to 8 once i've paid them back?

Convicted Driver Insurance

jashley94

Hi All,

I stupidly got done for drink driving back in May 2021. I crashed into a parked car and ended up writing both mine and their car off too. Admiral cancelled my policy, paid for the other persons car and then come for me for the payments of the 3rd party car (£2800 in total).

I could not afford to pay that all in one go, so I set up a direct debit payment plan up with them paying back £250 a month (due to be paid off in May next year). I still have just under 4 months left of my ban but have started looking at insurance quotes just to get an idea of what I will be paying.

However I read on a few sites that our no claims wouldn't be affected due to the fact that I have not claimed and I am reimbursing Admiral for the pay out that they made for the 3rd party vehicle. I contacted them to confirm & they have emailed me the following;

I can confirm you had 8 years No Claims bonus before the above incident but unfortunately this was reduced down to 3. Once the claim costs have been settled in full, we will put it back up to 8 and send out your proof of No Claims Bonus.

Does this sound right? Just unsure whether to put 8 years NCD or 3 years when looking for quotes, and in all fairness Admiral have done nothing but be difficult!

Thanks in advance

In my opinion, as you have stated there is no claim. Therefore how can your NCD be affected.
The FOS upheld my complaint on this and as policyholder (not the driver) they ordered Admiral to remove the accident from the shared insurers database.
Consider an official complaint to Admiral and follow it up with a complaint to the FoS to see if they agree with you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off