Admiral reclaiming third party costs

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jdrums

Hi All,

I've seen a few threads on this but thought i'd post my own. I was done for drug driving 6 months ago, I hit a parked car and totalled both our cars. His was a car worth around £4k.

So far Admiral say their outlay is £6.5k but they are disputing hire car costs, apparently one day worth of hire car costs they are disputing! Solicitors are involved in this, which I assume I'll be paying for! Could I argue that using solicitors to argue a days worth of car hire is not working in my best interest.

The drug test results took 6 months, so In their eyes I was innocent for 6 months. I don't know if this plays in my favour or not! As far as them trying to keep the costs down.

also as its been 6 months, I'm hoping most of the costs are in and I won't be paying a huge amount more than £6.5k, but who knows!

Anyway I'll keep people posted as it was helpful to me to read the other peoples stories on this.

Hi All,

I've seen a few threads on this but thought i'd post my own. I was done for drug driving 6 months ago, I hit a parked car and totalled both our cars. His was a car worth around £4k.

So far Admiral say their outlay is £6.5k but they are disputing hire car costs, apparently one day worth of hire car costs they are disputing! Solicitors are involved in this, which I assume I'll be paying for! Could I argue that using solicitors to argue a days worth of car hire is not working in my best interest.

The drug test results took 6 months, so In their eyes I was innocent for 6 months. I don't know if this plays in my favour or not! As far as them trying to keep the costs down.

also as its been 6 months, I'm hoping most of the costs are in and I won't be paying a huge amount more than £6.5k, but who knows!

Anyway I'll keep people posted as it was helpful to me to read the other peoples stories on this.
Are you sure your insurance isn’t void? Most policies will cancel on a drug/drink offence and refuse to pay out. I hope you aren’t looking at £6k+ of costs.

Are you sure your insurance isn’t void? Most policies will cancel on a drug/drink offence and refuse to pay out. I hope you aren’t looking at £6k+ of costs.
Yes I think they tend to void the insurance but still have to pay the third party costs by law. Then they come after you for that amount. The third party costs add up to £6.5k so far. I lost a £15k car but I knew that was part of the deal in a drug driving offence, but I only recently found out I'll be paying for third party costs too! They didn't void my insurance for 6 months because I didn't have my police drug results for 6 months.

Yes I think they tend to void the insurance but still have to pay the third party costs by law. Then they come after you for that amount. The third party costs add up to £6.5k so far. I lost a £15k car but I knew that was part of the deal in a drug driving offence, but I only recently found out I'll be paying for third party costs too! They didn't void my insurance for 6 months because I didn't have my police drug results for 6 months.
Get you now however I’m not sure about the hire car issue: could you elaborate?

Get you now however I’m not sure about the hire car issue: could you elaborate?
When i crashed I wrote off the other guys car, so he was entitled to a hire hire whilst his was being replaced. These prices can get massively inflated by insurance companies, and from what I've seen tend to be around £3-8k for under a months use!

My insurance company say they are currently in dispute with the third party insurance company over costs of the car hire. Problem is, I'll be paying for this dispute they are having as they are using solicitors and I am liable for every cost that Admiral incur. e.g. Car hire costs, car damage, admin, legals, personal injury claims, medical bills, police reports etc.

There is a monster thread on this in the insurance section here:

DepressedDad may not thank me for the reference but he's a bloody helpful guy on this topic. He's given some excellent advice, and he's one of the few who's made it through and won after it timed-out. There must be others, but tales of either successful CCJs or conversely the **** in the Hat backing down are both rare as rocking-horse shit.

The Ombudsman often rules in Admiral's case over complaints. Not necessarily the actual court case though, should it ever progress to that. But that must lend weight, which is why that route should be way down the line.

I can't recall anyone on here saying they were being taken to court. I'm sure it has happened, though. I do recall posts on notice of intention to prosecute. If that ever hits your doormat it's time to get a brief pronto. But again, you are some way away from that, and they don't jump to prosecute. You get a ream of frighteners first.

Your best bet pal is to spin this one out as long as you can, and the link to thread above is a great source of info on how. Good luck.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off