admiral insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tess1234

Hi
I know this has been asked before but does anyone hace any info on admiral recouping costs back as a result of an accident through DD?
I made the biggest mistake of my life on Sunday morning and drove drunk. I was involved in a crash (no one hurt thankfully) but my car was written off and the other vehicle damaged (but not too badly)
I’m not claiming in my own policy. Going to court on 21.11.2018 so already worried sick over that now have the added anxiety over Admiral’s policy on recovering third party costs. I realise this is all my own fault so not looking for sympathy.
I know there were several threads a few years ago on this but wondering if anyone has any update on what happened?
TIA

Admiral are somewhat infamous for chasing costs. They have to pay third party costs, as required by law, but are allowed to then recover the costs from you, as was ruled on by European judges in 2011.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:61994CJ0129&from=en

The only sensible advice is if they approach you get a solicitor and get everything in writing. They will seek to recover costs as well as damage which can mount very quickly.

If you read the accounts online it seems Admiral tend to probe to see if you actually have the money, there is no point them throwing more money just to get you bankrupt. A good solicitor should be able to deal with their approaches. If you do have assets - house etc. - then if they took you to civil court it would probably be an easy win.

Admiral are somewhat infamous for chasing costs. They have to pay third party costs, as required by law, but are allowed to then recover the costs from you, as was ruled on by European judges in 2011.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:61994CJ0129&from=en

The only sensible advice is if they approach you get a solicitor and get everything in writing. They will seek to recover costs as well as damage which can mount very quickly.

If you read the accounts online it seems Admiral tend to probe to see if you actually have the money, there is no point them throwing more money just to get you bankrupt. A good solicitor should be able to deal with their approaches. If you do have assets - house etc. - then if they took you to civil court it would probably be an easy win.

Thank you very much for replying TipsyNurse. I have found several others through various forums who are/have been in a similar position but no recent updates.

When I spoke to admiral regarding the crash they didn’t mention the clause; i then asked for the current stance on it and they advised they may recover costs.

My latest correspondence states that the case is with the underwriters to assess and make a decision.

I’ll update this forum with any further developments...

Thanks, as you say there seems to be very few completed cases online. It is quite possible that they end in out of court settlements.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off