Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
No, just received the letter yesterday, I may just leave it till after Christmas to reply.

No, just received the letter yesterday, I may just leave it till after Christmas to reply.
Don’t forget to ask for a breakdown of costs, how they came to the amount etc like other users have mentioned in the forums don’t just accept the figure!!

Reactions: GGG
Don’t forget to ask for a breakdown of costs, how they came to the amount etc like other users have mentioned in the forums don’t just accept the figure!!
I don’t think you are obliged to send them information re your finances . Can you ho to CAB or even get a free solicitor consultation ( some firms do this )

My boyfriend was convicted of DD yesterday, received a ban. His insurance had already paid out for his vehicle as it was a write off as well as for damage to property. Is he liable to repay the sum that was paid out for his car?

My boyfriend was convicted of DD yesterday, received a ban. His insurance had already paid out for his vehicle as it was a write off as well as for damage to property. Is he liable to repay the sum that was paid out for his car?
It depends on his insurer, who was he insured with?

Every insurer only covers third party in the case of DUI, it's in every set of policy documents so really any insurer chase payment for any payout made. However there are only a few insurance companies who actively start proceedings to recoup the loss. Knowing who he's insured with will help.

It depends on his insurer, who was he insured with?

Every insurer only covers third party in the case of DUI, it's in every set of policy documents so really any insurer chase payment for any payout made. However there are only a few insurance companies who actively start proceedings to recoup the loss. Knowing who he's insured with will help.
He was insured with Quotemehappy they're an online based company, I am not sure who they are owned by.

Quotemehappy have already paid him out in full for his car being a write off. Do the DVLA make the insurers aware of the DD conviction?

He was insured with Quotemehappy they're an online based company, I am not sure who they are owned by.

Quotemehappy have already paid him out in full for his car being a write off. Do the DVLA make the insurers aware of the DD conviction?
DVLA do not, but he should, and he should have disclosed the circumstances when he submitted the claim.
It seems he set out to mislead the insurance company by failing to disclose paternal facts about the accident…..

DVLA do not, but he should, and he should have disclosed the circumstances when he submitted the claim.
It seems he set out to mislead the insurance company by failing to disclose paternal facts about the accident…..
That's exactly what I thought, he tells me they didn't ask him and that all he had to do was submit a form online but I am not sure why or how he failed to tell them as the police had to recover his vehicle.

That's exactly what I thought, he tells me they didn't ask him and that all he had to do was submit a form online but I am not sure why or how he failed to tell them as the police had to recover his vehicle.
The quote key apply policy says they will NOT provide cover for repairs to the policy holders vehicle under certain circumstances, this is one of them:

Any accident, injury, loss or damage which happened whilst you or any person insured to drive your car as named on your certificate of motor insurance was driving your car and was arrested and charged with:
– being over the legal limit for alcohol or drugs
– driving whilst unfit through alcohol or drugs, whether prescribed or otherwise
– failing to provide a sample of breath, blood or urine when required to do so, without lawful reason.

I cannot see what the claim form says because you have to log in to see it, but when you go to the page that talks about making a claim, it says you have to put: “ Specifics about what happened and the damage to your car”
He has a duty to disclose ALL material facts, and being arrested for being over the limit is CERTAINLY a material fact.
It is no good saying “well they didn’t ask” (which I doubt is true anyway) his obligation is to disclose ALL material facts about the claim.
At the worst end of these circumstances, he has obtained money from the insurance company by deception - a criminal offence.

The quote key apply policy says they will NOT provide cover for repairs to the policy holders vehicle under certain circumstances, this is one of them:

Any accident, injury, loss or damage which happened whilst you or any person insured to drive your car as named on your certificate of motor insurance was driving your car and was arrested and charged with:
– being over the legal limit for alcohol or drugs
– driving whilst unfit through alcohol or drugs, whether prescribed or otherwise
– failing to provide a sample of breath, blood or urine when required to do so, without lawful reason.

I cannot see what the claim form says because you have to log in to see it, but when you go to the page that talks about making a claim, it says you have to put: “ Specifics about what happened and the damage to your car”
He has a duty to disclose ALL material facts, and being arrested for being over the limit is CERTAINLY a material fact.
It is no good saying “well they didn’t ask” (which I doubt is true anyway) his obligation is to disclose ALL material facts about the claim.
At the worst end of these circumstances, he has obtained money from the insurance company by deception - a criminal offence.
The insurance company has also paid out nearly £50k worth of damages to the property crashed into although I understand he wouldn't have be liable for that as that is third party isn't.

I wonder if they will somehow be notified of his conviction now take legal action to recover the funds paid to him for his car.

It is essentially fraud isn't it.

It will show up on the motor insurance database when he comes to reapply for insurance, so it depends if quotemehappy join up the dots.
£50k is a LOT of money for gates and a post…. We’re they cast iron gates and a mobile phone pole?? I think that explains why they did a back calculation to try to prosecute him.
He is also not in the clear over the damage he caused, this is also what the policy says:

“If convicted of any of these offences, our liability under Section 2, will be restricted to meeting obligations
under the Road Traffic Acts. In those circumstances we will recover from you and/or the person insured driving your car all sums paid in respect of any claim arising from the accident.
I think it highly likely that given the cost of the damage, the insurance company will get a copy of the police accident report and of course that will include his arrest for drink driving.”

What will he say when he try’s to get insurance at the end of his ban?
They will ask “Do you have any points or disqualifications in the past 5 years?” He has to disclose his conviction.
“Have you had any accidents in the past 5 years?” He has to disclose this accident, the circumstances and the value. Will he try to lie about the circumstances on the new application?
He really has dug a hole for himself and if the circumstances end up on the Motor Insurers Database, he could find himself virtually uninsurable for years.

I thought it may also become an issue when he goes to cancel his insurance because of the ban as surely they will ask why.

He ended up pleading guilty on Monday as once the solicitor had gathered everything together and he told them the truth about how much he had to drink they suggested he does so. They also said he was lucky that he wasn't being charged with dangerous driving.

Yes, they were cast iron gates, he also hit other property as well as the pole so these could have been mobile phone poles I am not sure.

I am surprised they haven't already obtained a copy of this report unless they were waiting for the court case to be over.

I imagine he will have no choice but to declare it in a years time but I think his thinking is that this premium will go up not that any funds will be clawed back. I don't even know if he has considered this at all, I am just worrying.

He has really got himself into a pickle however I hate to say it but it is down to his own doing isn't it.

You are right, he will have no choice but to declare the conviction and the accident when he applies for insurance at the end of his ban.
He will also have to declare it on the home insurance, but some companies are not so bothered about a drink drive conviction.
None of this is your fault, but you are the one doing the worrying and asking on here for advice.
Can I suggest that you, with him, log into the claim online and see just what he has put in the claim? I have looked at several claim forms and they all say similar to this: “ Any prosecution pending/resulted?” if so, he must have answered ‘No’ to this, so a clear attempt to deceive on the claim.
He can try to front it out and pray that nothing comes to light, but if he does, he runs the rest that it is escalated into a criminal offence of deception if it comes to light, and this would be disclosable for 5 years or for life, (depending on the type of employment) and could heavily impact on his employment for that period of time. Or he can come clean and negotiate with the insurance company, saying that there was not an ‘impending prosecution’ until the back calculation was confirmed, he believed that he was under the limit so that is why he did not say at the time in his claim.
That would be painful financially, but end the worry for you both about the circumstances coming to light and events turning much, much worse.

I know, I seemed to have shouldered a lot of the worrying during this process. It's a very selfish thing to say as I am happy to be there for him but I have probably had more sleepless nights than him over it.

I think because he blew under at the station and was RUI he probably put no.

I completely agree that this would be the right course of action however when I have bought up the subject of insurance he has said it is all fine so I think I should perhaps stop trying to meddle and what will be will be.

I think it is unlikely anything will come to light immediately however I imagine it is likely when he renews his car insurance - although given the cost of the claim for his car and the cost of the claim for the damage totalling near on £80k perhaps the police will make sure his insurers know.

They may well do, and burying heads in the sand will only make things much worse if they do. At the least the Motor Insurers database record for him would reveal the deception, and make insurance crippling.
I have seen all to often where a cover up that could be resolved leads to far worse consequences later and people think “if only….” It could even end up as prison time with £80,000 being obtained by deception.
I cannot offer any fourth we advice on this, the choice is yours (I say yours meaning both of you as the impact from this would affect both of you)

You are right, he will have no choice but to declare the conviction and the accident when he applies for insurance at the end of his ban.
He will also have to declare it on the home insurance, but some companies are not so bothered about a drink drive conviction.
None of this is your fault, but you are the one doing the worrying and asking on here for advice.
Can I suggest that you, with him, log into the claim online and see just what he has put in the claim? I have looked at several claim forms and they all say similar to this: “ Any prosecution pending/resulted?” if so, he must have answered ‘No’ to this, so a clear attempt to deceive on the claim.
He can try to front it out and pray that nothing comes to light, but if he does, he runs the rest that it is escalated into a criminal offence of deception if it comes to light, and this would be disclosable for 5 years or for life, (depending on the type of employment) and could heavily impact on his employment for that period of time. Or he can come clean and negotiate with the insurance company, saying that there was not an ‘impending prosecution’ until the back calculation was confirmed, he believed that he was under the limit so that is why he did not say at the time in his claim.
That would be painful financially, but end the worry for you both about the circumstances coming to light and events turning much, much worse.
I’m struggling to follow this scenario. When I committed an offence there was no damage to either my car or the third party car . I provided my details to them of course . I did not tell the insurance company at that time as I got rid of car instantly and the policy was due to end in 3 weeks time anyway. What then happened was that after my sentencing the third party ambulance chasing insurance claim company put a large claim in with my insurer. £100 damage and whip last apparently. The insurer rang me and I told them the full tale. They were throughly decent to be honest, wrote to me, and told me that they would deal with everything and not to worry. . Fortunately by then, I’d got my act together and was able to give a coherent account, and lots of info. I gave the police details too as they had confirmed that it was “ a bumper touch, no damage “. I never heard any more from anyone. When I got my licence back and wanted insurance , I fully disclosed the scenario as I understood it to be, and three companies who quoted me accessed a data base and all said that a claim had been submitted, but had been rejected, and nothing had been settled.

I cannot understand how a claim could be made without there being questions asked that , if answered, would prompt disclosure re police involvement . Can of worms that needs dealing with somehow I’d say. No implied criticism by the way.

I’m struggling to follow this scenario. When I committed an offence there was no damage to either my car or the third party car . I provided my details to them of course . I did not tell the insurance company at that time as I got rid of car instantly and the policy was due to end in 3 weeks time anyway. What then happened was that after my sentencing the third party ambulance chasing insurance claim company put a large claim in with my insurer. £100 damage and whip last apparently. The insurer rang me and I told them the full tale. They were throughly decent to be honest, wrote to me, and told me that they would deal with everything and not to worry. . Fortunately by then, I’d got my act together and was able to give a coherent account, and lots of info. I gave the police details too as they had confirmed that it was “ a bumper touch, no damage “. I never heard any more from anyone. When I got my licence back and wanted insurance , I fully disclosed the scenario as I understood it to be, and three companies who quoted me accessed a data base and all said that a claim had been submitted, but had been rejected, and nothing had been settled.

I cannot understand how a claim could be made without there being questions asked that , if answered, would prompt disclosure re police involvement . Can of worms that needs dealing with somehow I’d say. No implied criticism by the way.
£ 3000 damage that should have said. Sorry.

Hi,

No I agree, I think he has told a fib to me and perhaps lied to his insurance policy when that question was asked. I am assuming he did that because at this point he had been released from the station under investigation and was later charged based on a BAC calculation that had been done.

Hello

My wife had an accident a while ago now,

I have the claim from Admiral of around £10k.

She hit a van and this in turn hit a car.

The van has since been repaired but the car was recorded as a total loss.

On the bill the Car has total loss and full cost next to it. I have just received the photographs and the damage does not look significant. It looks to me that the car could easily be repaired and put back on the road.

Unfortunately They will not give me the registration number for me to check.

Normally when a car is a total loss the owner gets paid out which has happened in this case and then the car ownership passes to the Insurance company who then sell it or scrap it.

Seeing as the Insurance company are not paying the total loss I am, Who would the vehicle belong too?

Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off