Admiral Insurance Drink and Drugs policy

Convicted Driver Insurance
Oh i would be going tooth and nail fighting this one!

Firstly, i would be responding saying this isnt enough detail for me to form an opinion on, things to get in more details which admiral WILL have on file :-

1. Any personal injury claims
2. a full and detailed breakdown of the damage to the third party car, including costs for parts/labour down to the last spray of paint!
3. Hire Car - 90 days? Why was it 3 months, what damage was incurred to warrant a car being off road for 3 months? You say light damage, get the full SP of the damage, another major major point, the new hire vehicle, was it like for like? If the car written of was a bog standard i dont know Toyota yaris and Mr taxi driver has been driving round in a lamborghini costing a lot more monthly, why was this allowed to happen?

I put admiral on their arses with my case dug my heels in wanted the thread to the needle, argued everything questioned everything and my own incident went from a lot of money down to a more affordable amount, dont take their word for it, become a PI and like i say question every man mortal detail which YOU are entitled to know!
It infuriates me, I get its us that has made the mistake, but when they are sending through quotes with life changing sums of money without reasonable and justifiable explanations its criminal, you wouldn't buy anything without knowing the price and just pay whatever sum the seller deems fit. Boils my P*ss

Oh i would be going tooth and nail fighting this one!

Firstly, i would be responding saying this isnt enough detail for me to form an opinion on, things to get in more details which admiral WILL have on file :-

1. Any personal injury claims
2. a full and detailed breakdown of the damage to the third party car, including costs for parts/labour down to the last spray of paint!
3. Hire Car - 90 days? Why was it 3 months, what damage was incurred to warrant a car being off road for 3 months? You say light damage, get the full SP of the damage, another major major point, the new hire vehicle, was it like for like? If the car written of was a bog standard i dont know Toyota yaris and Mr taxi driver has been driving round in a lamborghini costing a lot more monthly, why was this allowed to happen?

I put admiral on their arses with my case dug my heels in wanted the thread to the needle, argued everything questioned everything and my own incident went from a lot of money down to a more affordable amount, dont take their word for it, become a PI and like i say question every man mortal detail which YOU are entitled to know!
Absolutely agree with this thanks for the vote of confidence!

Another interesting point: admiral originally offered the credit hire company (Proximo) £5k for the credit hire costs based on the amount paid out in the Hussain V EUI case, within 1 EMAIL they jumped to £7000 on a bid to “see an end to the matter”…so it’s clear evidence that they had no interest in mitigating costs.

I’ve emailed Proximo directly too to try and glean a precise timeframe of the agreement from them as I doubt admiral will be fourth coming.

We shall see what comes of it!

Hi Depressed Dad, hope you're well.

I clipped an oncoming car back in June 2021 and blew 51 at the scene then the evidential test had me at 49 so was banned for 12 months and had costs to pay.

At the time, once I had informed my insurer, they sent me a Indemnity form which I signed but I added some conditions around allowing me to put my case (I've never had that opportunity) and to defend the claims and to be kept informed on a regular basis. They never responded to my signed form.

I have not heard anything for nearly 3 years (and have never chased) and this week I received a letter confirming they had settled the claim of £15K and they were seeking recovery from me.

I realise this is a very long and useful chain but its long so could you in summary confirm what actions you and your son took to frustrate and eventually evade the recovery of the settlement from him. The Insurer (First Direct) have given me 10 days to respond. I am going to get an opinion from a solicitor but could you give me a summary of the actions you took.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi,

I'd start with asking why they've ignored the extra conditions you added to the indemnity form. See how long you can drag it out for before you start asking for the full breakdown of costs.
Push any deadlines they set to the limit. Or beyond depending on your risk appetite.
I did it all by letter which also slows it down.

Ask them to explain why they don't follow the Road Traffic Act. They've denied you a day in court with the third party.

Whilst the general advice on here is not to sign the indemnity form (it seems pointless) there is an opportunity to string it out for a while and then perhaps just tell them they've not complied with your signed form and it doesn't count anymore. Bank it for a FOS complaint.

Solicitors willing to get involved are hard to find. It's a very niche area. I did find a barrister willing to chat for an hour for £500+.

Hi TBT,

From past experience having dealt with and being in your situation, it is a straight 6 years from the incident and claim being filed, 3 years for personal injury claims, once this time has elapsed it is then into the grounds of statute barred, this information came directly from Admiral hence why i know this.

If it was the case of 6 years from "last interaction" it would go on forever well above and beyond 6 years.

You literally have two months to drag it out further, a good point made by depressed dad ANY correspondence send back within time but do it via second class recorded post a few days before the reply "deadline".

I hope things work out for you!
Thank you very much TCB1989,

Apologies for not responding sooner but I have only seen this now. I have recently received a response to my complaint in which Diamond have upheld my complaint and given me a cheque for £75 compensation and provided the below detail, which in effect confirms that due to a technical error I did not receive the SAR as previously requested. I am still yet to to receive a copy so the 6 year deadline of August should definitely be fine.

2. Unhappy you have not received the Subject Access Request as previously asked for.
On review of your claim file, I can see that the information rights team did send you an email on
16/11/23 however you did not receive this. In turn, another email was sent to you on 11/03/24
which the information rights team stated a new email was used.
As such, due to technical difficulties with the emailing system I will be upholding this aspect of
your complaint. I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. If you require any further
information, please let us or the information rights team know.

Within their latest correspondence they have confirmed the accident date of 5th August 2018 and have said that my file has been passed to the claims collection team and have asked me to provide documentation to support my financial position by the 8th Aug 2024, so have seemed to ignore the 6 years. My response will state that I have still not had an opportunity to review the SAR as i have not received it but just wondered if there was anything else I can do, probably not a good idea to ignore anything.

When you say the information of the 6 year statute came directly from Admiral, was this provided by Admiral themselves to you or did you research and find it yourself? should I reference the 6 year statute in my return correspondence or just continue to be awkward and let it run and see what happens? as you've been in the same situation I'm just wondering how you played it?

I know @Bad_karma stated that he was still being credit checked after 6 years and referenced that he has spoken with someone on another site who was still being chased 7 years after the crash. As well as that, there is someone on the site who is currently going through the courts with a trial date set, the case was brought over 6 years after their crash and despite apparently mentioning this to the judge it has still progressed to trial which is very unnerving, so just wondered how yours both went away ... did it just go silent, was there confirmation from Admiral/Diamond or did your last response to them contain something that made them think better about progressing?

Many thanks again, this forum has been a god send and has helped my mental health massively and I'd go as far as to say helped my family still be together with a special thank you going out to my original point of contact Depressed Dad and now both yourself and bad_karma it really is very much appreciated.

Hi All, It has been over a year since Admiral requested I sign the indemnity from (I did not) I requested further information relating to the claim, they drip fed through a few minor details and informed me that it was ongoing and with loss adjusters. I requested to kept informed and see breakdowns of costs etc but didn't get a response.
it is about 2.5 years on now and I have now received a total settlement figure approx 15k comprised of 4 claims, this includes 3 vehicles (1 total loss) and property damage with no further details. I was unaware of any property damage, I have CCTV footage albeit not the clearest but it is very hard to understand what property damage would have been caused. I plan to respond within the 28 day period requesting a breakdown of the costs and further evidence to support these claims I was unaware of. I assume that admiral should have all records of 3rd party insurance claims, loss adjuster records & police reports, also evidence of how Admiral has made every effort to ensure the costs are reasonable as stated. I plan to dispute these costs as they seem excessive for the nature of the incident. any advice on how to approach this going forward, there is a lot of info in here and it has been a god send at times, I am just unclear on how far I am able to dispute the claims made and what information admiral will even provide,, I gather this could drag on for several more years. 15k is not a lot in the grand scheme compared to some other peoples situations however since the incident I have family of my own and not in a position financially to be able to afford this. thanks in advances for any advice,

Hi All, It has been over a year since Admiral requested I sign the indemnity from (I did not) I requested further information relating to the claim, they drip fed through a few minor details and informed me that it was ongoing and with loss adjusters. I requested to kept informed and see breakdowns of costs etc but didn't get a response.
it is about 2.5 years on now and I have now received a total settlement figure approx 15k comprised of 4 claims, this includes 3 vehicles (1 total loss) and property damage with no further details. I was unaware of any property damage, I have CCTV footage albeit not the clearest but it is very hard to understand what property damage would have been caused. I plan to respond within the 28 day period requesting a breakdown of the costs and further evidence to support these claims I was unaware of. I assume that admiral should have all records of 3rd party insurance claims, loss adjuster records & police reports, also evidence of how Admiral has made every effort to ensure the costs are reasonable as stated. I plan to dispute these costs as they seem excessive for the nature of the incident. any advice on how to approach this going forward, there is a lot of info in here and it has been a god send at times, I am just unclear on how far I am able to dispute the claims made and what information admiral will even provide,, I gather this could drag on for several more years. 15k is not a lot in the grand scheme compared to some other peoples situations however since the incident I have family of my own and not in a position financially to be able to afford this. thanks in advances for any advice,

Same advice to anyone in this situation is to keep challenging the costs. Demand the breakdown and all the reports.

Use GDPR to request all the info they have about you and your case.

Be a pain in the backsides and drag it out in the hope they find easier cases. 6 years is the target although it seems unclear when statute of limitation kicks in.

Pretty sure they will ask for a reduced amount if you are resilient and persistent.

Hi all

Had a similar, albeit nuanced situation to a lot of people on here. Had an accident, blew over at roadside, taken to hospital, after 12 tries at hospital no bloods could be taken. Admiral cancelled policy etc, received the Indemnity paperwork, didn't sign. Admiral came back telling me they settled with the other side but are now looking to reclaim the costs from me as per their T&Cs:
Compensation: £20,000.00
Costs: £6,891.00
Investigation costs: £122.30
Our total outlay in respect of this claim is £ 27,013.30.

I asked them for a detailed breakdown of costs and received the following:
"We apologise for any misunderstanding, but the lack of engagement referenced the fact that the Consent and Indemnity form had not been signed and returned. We can see that whilst the relevant form has not been competed you have co-operated throughout.
We are pleased to note that you would like to resolve this matter as would we. We will arrange for our RTA team to contact you to discuss payment options that may be available.
We note that you seek details of the costs paid. Whilst specific breakdowns cannot be provided, we can confirm that the large proportion of the investigation’s costs were incurred by securing the police report.
The other costs were those incurred by the claimant’s solicitors. They were limited to fixed cost-plus disbursements which related to the costs of medical reports required to evidence their claim.
Liability to recover the sum sought arises by virtue of section 148 of the RTA (sub-sections 1 to 4) coupled with our policy wording. General Condition 6 of our policy wording provides that right:
6. Right of recovery
If an incident occurs which is not covered by this policy and we are required by the law of any country to make a payment [i.e. section 148 of the Road Traffic Act 1988], we can recover that amount from you or any other insured person.
We trust that this clarifies our position."

Then they passed the claim onto the Collection Team.

Should I request more information regarding costs breakdown as this really hasn't been provided at all and they want close to £30K from me?

Thanks for any advice here.

Based on the many previous cases on here it doesn't seem to matter if the indemnity form is signed or not. They are obliged to settle the third party claim irrespective of the drink and drugs clause.

They'll typically settle without involving you.

Did they ask for your version of events?

Blowing over at the roadside is enough for Admiral to cancel the policy.

Can you recall how many people were injured?
Can you recall if they showed signs of injury at the time.

Soft tissue damage (whiplash) is an open door for some free compensation. Very difficult to prove or disprove.

Did Admiral offer pre-medical settlement?

Who did the medical examination? I'm guessing it's a medic paid for by a claims management company rather than Admiral checking the claim is valid.

Basically it's a blank cheque and they expect you to pay it.

Make the point that you need to see she detailed breakdown to validate the claim is fair and accurate.

Thanks for your reply.
Did they ask for your version of events? Yes this was provided early on by myself willingly.
Can you recall how many people were injured? 3, including myself quite considerably (not that that has any standing with Admiral)
Can you recall if they showed signs of injury at the time.- no, but I was put into an ambulance pretty sharpish.
Did Admiral offer pre-medical settlement? No idea- this has never been disclosed by Admiral
Who did the medical examination? I'm guessing it's a medic paid for by a claims management company rather than Admiral checking the claim is valid. No idea, this has never been disclosed by Admiral
Make the point that you need to see she detailed breakdown to validate the claim is fair and accurate. I did try and ask for this in my response to Admiral, before receiving their response I posted above.

Yes it does feel a bit like a blank cheque that they expect you to pay. If it had been the other way round I'm sure they would be hounding for a breakdown of costs...

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off