8 years, 4 months, 8 days

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jetsetter

Since I was caught drink driving and have been sober since. I feel excited about hitting the 10 year mark. Since that night 27/7/13 that shattered my world for a few years after, I feel it has been one of the best things that happened. I was the the type of drunk that'd go to the pub alone, finish glasses of alcohol, whether it be wine, beer, or spirits on vacated tables. AA never did anything for me, but getting banged up in a cell for the night and thinking I was going to jail really made me do a U turn. I still have my breath reading print off from the police station, laminated, kept as a stern reminder not to fall back into ways of old.

Having had a lot of time to reflect on it, I now realise just how seflish it truly was. I was lucky not to have injured or killed somebody. The really selfish part was I only cared what was going to happen to me, the thought at the time was not about anyone, or anything else.

Work colleagues often go to the pub on a Friday after work in their cars. The few I've made aware of my conviction call me unlucky and say they know their limit. I've been called boring for my rare attendance with them and having a diet coke. I hope they do know their limits. 'Boring' brings a whole new meaning, 12 hours in custody on a Saturday night.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few occasions where being caught drink driving was the catalyst to finally address a persons drinking habits, so in that respect you were lucky as you say…. To get the wake up call and no one was hurt.
The problem for your friends of course is that ‘their limit’ is not the one that counts when they are stopped, or the police arrive after a collision that might not have been their fault.

Since I was caught drink driving and have been sober since. I feel excited about hitting the 10 year mark. Since that night 27/7/13 that shattered my world for a few years after, I feel it has been one of the best things that happened. I was the the type of drunk that'd go to the pub alone, finish glasses of alcohol, whether it be wine, beer, or spirits on vacated tables. AA never did anything for me, but getting banged up in a cell for the night and thinking I was going to jail really made me do a U turn. I still have my breath reading print off from the police station, laminated, kept as a stern reminder not to fall back into ways of old.

Having had a lot of time to reflect on it, I now realise just how seflish it truly was. I was lucky not to have injured or killed somebody. The really selfish part was I only cared what was going to happen to me, the thought at the time was not about anyone, or anything else.

Work colleagues often go to the pub on a Friday after work in their cars. The few I've made aware of my conviction call me unlucky and say they know their limit. I've been called boring for my rare attendance with them and having a diet coke. I hope they do know their limits. 'Boring' brings a whole new meaning, 12 hours in custody on a Saturday night.
They don't know their limit.

I can guarantee they are driving over the limit every time they do this.

2 pints of beer can be all that it takes.

this post has really resonated with me- thank you so much

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off