6 months after my ban should have ended...revoked

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hello everyone!
I didn't expect to cause such a fuss. When I saw Gary's post, my response was shock and anger and then...well, is that how people see drunks and drug addicts anyway? So I just didn't come back- I didn't want to see what anyone else had piled in with. Somewhere in my mind, I expected something like that might happen. That's why I have not spoken to anyone about this all this time.

I am not sure what to make of the all comments but I am responsible for my mistakes. I didnt always feel like that, I used to be much angrier deep down and whilst I didn't say so out loud, I used to blame others for everything - at least it made me feel a bit better. Anyway, thank you for everyone who was so kind and nice to me - that did help me a lot, I mean that sincerely. I don't think I've felt like I have had a single soul defend me or be nice to me for ages - certainly not about this awful thing.

To bring you up to speed, if you are curious, the DVLA decision to refuse my license was wrong and should be challenged. It seems and having approached a few solicitors I have now appointed one to represent me. Essentially, to decide that I am not complying with everything the DVLA wants (I dont drink and I am still on the last part of an opiate treatment programme) simply because they found zopiclone once is unfair...especially given that I was prescribed it. This one instance was taken to mean "evidence of persistent and ongoing drug abuse" - which is a bit of a stretch unless you put me in the lying drug addict box and make that assumption. Why didn't I declare it? Well, I also take omeprazole and have b12 injections and take flecainide and I didn't mention those. They are all in my medical notes and I didn't know it was considered 'dodgy' - a bit naive. Well now I do, so it seems to be a case of getting some medical proof of that (ie: there is nothing in my body other than what is supposed to be in there) and having the solicitor approach the DVLA. From every solicitor I spoke to, it seems that the DVLA will invariably just make whatever decisions and simply ignore you. It is only when there is the looming threat of a magistrates appeal that things get re-examined.

Hello everyone!
I didn't expect to cause such a fuss. When I saw Gary's post, my response was shock and anger and then...well, is that how people see drunks and drug addicts anyway? So I just didn't come back- I didn't want to see what anyone else had piled in with. Somewhere in my mind, I expected something like that might happen. That's why I have not spoken to anyone about this all this time.

I am not sure what to make of the all comments but I am responsible for my mistakes. I didnt always feel like that, I used to be much angrier deep down and whilst I didn't say so out loud, I used to blame others for everything - at least it made me feel a bit better. Anyway, thank you for everyone who was so kind and nice to me - that did help me a lot, I mean that sincerely. I don't think I've felt like I have had a single soul defend me or be nice to me for ages - certainly not about this awful thing.

To bring you up to speed, if you are curious, the DVLA decision to refuse my license was wrong and should be challenged. It seems and having approached a few solicitors I have now appointed one to represent me. Essentially, to decide that I am not complying with everything the DVLA wants (I dont drink and I am still on the last part of an opiate treatment programme) simply because they found zopiclone once is unfair...especially given that I was prescribed it. This one instance was taken to mean "evidence of persistent and ongoing drug abuse" - which is a bit of a stretch unless you put me in the lying drug addict box and make that assumption. Why didn't I declare it? Well, I also take omeprazole and have b12 injections and take flecainide and I didn't mention those. They are all in my medical notes and I didn't know it was considered 'dodgy' - a bit naive. Well now I do, so it seems to be a case of getting some medical proof of that (ie: there is nothing in my body other than what is supposed to be in there) and having the solicitor approach the DVLA. From every solicitor I spoke to, it seems that the DVLA will invariably just make whatever decisions and simply ignore you. It is only when there is the looming threat of a magistrates appeal that things get re-examined.
You will need deep pockets george

Well I am sorry what I said if he’s been on drugs like heroin and drink he’s got no chance of getting he’s license back until he can prove he’s off them altogether then if he goes to counceling the dvla will write to them and ask what treatment he’s getting and dvla will tell him he’s got to be clear of all drugs and drink for a whole year
Prick

Hello everyone!

Zopiclone are a controlled substance prescribed by a GP,so let's assume you didn't need them for a while,then maybe whilst waiting for a medical you had sleepless nights,so you took your prescribed medication...as we all would...I can't see anything wrong with that, unless you were buying them online from wherever...not that I'm accusing you btw,just evidential proof...good luck mate

Hi there. Was your CDT test ok? Maybe try and phone them to see if you could go for another medical or what you are supposed to do. I feel for you I used to be so stressed over silly things in life and now going thru this trying to get my license back has shown me what real stress is. We have surfed our punishment and I don’t think anybody that has not been thru this understand the emotional torture this is. It is making me so upset my hole life feels like it is falling apart. The ban was nothing compare to this proses it is actually weighing heavily on my marriage and the atmosphere at home worrying about my little boy and husband that is being punished by this more than I am🥲. Just don’t give up start the proses and take it one step at a time. Some days I just want to give up but we can’t. I don’t know a lot but this forum has helped me so much for the first time I feel some relief because no one understands what we are going thru than the people on this forum. Hang in there.
CDT test all ok ...bu they also give you a drug's creen at another assessment. I passed eecept they found this undeclaired (but presribed drug). Now you would think that they would ask me to retest (at my expense) to rule out persistent use as well as check wit the GP. My solicitor says, they just make decisions as fast as possible to clear the backlog

Essentially, same here. Cleared/boxed ticked - waiting list reduced. So now you either wait 12 months or challenge via a solicitor. That, including the £XXX it will be for ongoing tests will be easily £2-3k. Incidentally, if you fail the DVLA can go after you for costs. However, if you win, you cannot claim them back. So they basically answer to no one other than legal measures and there is little you can do unless you are fortunate enough (or angry enough) for forgo a family holiday. There is no end to the ramifications of drinking and driving.

There are plenty of good law firms who will help you. Very often the first letter to the DVLA from them, will result in them reconsidering. So I am fingers crossed. Its still not cheap - which is so unfair as not everyone can just find this kind of money to defend themselves. Good luck

So how many more people complete their CDT test then go on, if needed, to pass their drugs screen only for them to find something completely different. Instead of assuming the worst, why not accept our offer to pay to be retested should we have been found to be taking something prescripbed yet failed to disclose?

Hi there. Was your CDT test ok? Maybe try and phone them to see if you could go for another medical or what you are supposed to do. I feel for you I used to be so stressed over silly things in life and now going thru this trying to get my license back has shown me what real stress is. We have surfed our punishment and I don’t think anybody that has not been thru this understand the emotional torture this is. It is making me so upset my hole life feels like it is falling apart. The ban was nothing compare to this proses it is actually weighing heavily on my marriage and the atmosphere at home worrying about my little boy and husband that is being punished by this more than I am🥲. Just don’t give up start the proses and take it one step at a time. Some days I just want to give up but we can’t. I don’t know a lot but this forum has helped me so much for the first time I feel some relief because no one understands what we are going thru than the people on this forum. Hang in there.
Hello...my CDT is fine. The only way forward for me was to stop drinking completely which 2 years on is so normal to me now that rarely even think about it. The opiates have also gone (but i did need a bit of help in doing that). The sole reason given for the refusal (6 months after my ban was up) was the undeclared sleeping tablet. I had no luck in trying to get the DVLA to listen to me and so I appealed it via a solicitor. So the situation now is awaiting the DVLAs processing of a new application (which presumably will require another CDT and drug screen). So my ban should have ended in May 2022 but here I am. From what I can tell this is going to probably take me over a year past my ban ending -so it will be at least some point in 2023 if they deem me fit to drive. now. The thing is I do understand the DVLAs position on this. If you are abusing those types of meds its going to seriously impact your ability to drive. What is upsetting is having to pay for legal help just to be reconsidered.

It is bad enough with the stigma of being disqualified. Your situation must be very painful so do keep your chin up. Its been so long now that ive had to let go of the outcome as it was also causing me to not sleep, irritability and all the rest of it. Thank you for your support and I really hope you get your life back soon. It does feel like life on pause and a very high level of scrutiny doesnt help.

Zopiclone are a controlled substance prescribed by a GP,so let's assume you didn't need them for a while,then maybe whilst waiting for a medical you had sleepless nights,so you took your prescribed medication...as we all would...I can't see anything wrong with that, unless you were buying them online from wherever...not that I'm accusing you btw,just evidential proof...good luck mate
Yes. I honestly didnt even think it was an issue for the very reason that I was prescribed them. With the appeal, I have been invited to reapply (so back to the beginning!) so I am not going to take any medications of any sort just in case!

what is rather painful is the presumption of guilt - that I must be doing something wrong. And given no chance to explain myself or the chance of simply repeating the test which would show that there is nothing in my system

Many GP's are reluctant to prescribe Zopiclone because of the implications of driving and certain jobs which are safety conscious. I've had problems with my sleeping for a while now and I've tried various 'over the counter' tablets from Boots and Superdrug. Unfortunately, I might as well swallow a couple of polo mints before bed for all the use they are.

Interestingly, many people reckon that once you stop drinking heavily, your sleeping improves - I've been teetotal now for over three years now and my sleeping is worst now than it was when I was drinking 10+ cans a day!!!!

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off