6 months after my ban should have ended...revoked

Convicted Driver Insurance

Georgee

Hi All

I am new to the site so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I was banned in November 2018 for 3.5 years for drink driving; I am ashamed to say it is not my first such conviction - hence the long ban. As normal in these covid times, the reapplication process has taken forever. If things had gone to plan, I would have been unbanned in May 2022. I went for both the medical/blood (CDT) test and then a drug screen. I was a little nervous about this one as I am also on a treatment program to recover from opiate addiction from prescription pain meds. However, I declared all that and it seems that my particular instances and mild treatment are acceptable to the DVLA for driving.

However, what has happened is that they found another drug in my blood test: the sleeping tablet zopiclone. This was something prescribed to me over a year prior to this and the sort of thing you take rarely. I had taken one about 5 days to a week prior to the blood test and didn't give it any thought. That was June. After many calls and no news, I got a letter yesterday saying that my license is revoked and that the zopiclone was detected and not declared- thus evidence of persistent drug misuse. That's it. I have to basically prove I am 'clean' of that for 12 months.

Aside from being completely angry with myself for not thinking about the possibility that sleeping tablet might cause a problem I am also a bit heartbroken. I have waited nearly 4 years for my license. This being the second time in my life I had let alcohol get the better of me, I have finally managed to completely give up drink for over two years. At the same time, I realised I was addicted to the co-codamol I had been getting for back pain and got treatment for that. So I thought I had things pretty much all straightened out. Now I just feel a bit numb. I have written to the DVLA with this, but as my GP says - anyone can just buy these things online, so why would they believe me? Why would they believe a convicted drink driver and an ex-opiate addict? Any advice greatly appreciated.

There’s a easy solution to that it’s your own fault for being a drink driver and your fault for using heroin you have got no chance of getting your license back now mate

Hi All

I am new to the site so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I was banned in November 2018 for 3.5 years for drink driving; I am ashamed to say it is not my first such conviction - hence the long ban. As normal in these covid times, the reapplication process has taken forever. If things had gone to plan, I would have been unbanned in May 2022. I went for both the medical/blood (CDT) test and then a drug screen. I was a little nervous about this one as I am also on a treatment program to recover from opiate addiction from prescription pain meds. However, I declared all that and it seems that my particular instances and mild treatment are acceptable to the DVLA for driving.

However, what has happened is that they found another drug in my blood test: the sleeping tablet zopiclone. This was something prescribed to me over a year prior to this and the sort of thing you take rarely. I had taken one about 5 days to a week prior to the blood test and didn't give it any thought. That was June. After many calls and no news, I got a letter yesterday saying that my license is revoked and that the zopiclone was detected and not declared- thus evidence of persistent drug misuse. That's it. I have to basically prove I am 'clean' of that for 12 months.

Aside from being completely angry with myself for not thinking about the possibility that sleeping tablet might cause a problem I am also a bit heartbroken. I have waited nearly 4 years for my license. This being the second time in my life I had let alcohol get the better of me, I have finally managed to completely give up drink for over two years. At the same time, I realised I was addicted to the co-codamol I had been getting for back pain and got treatment for that. So I thought I had things pretty much all straightened out. Now I just feel a bit numb. I have written to the DVLA with this, but as my GP says - anyone can just buy these things online, so why would they believe me? Why would they believe a convicted drink driver and an ex-opiate addict? Any advice greatly appreciated.
I have a rather more constructive response to you than the other individual who has posted, and who in my opinion added nothing of value . Well done firstly for remaining sober . Also , you seem to have some good insight into your past issues and risk factors . Your achievements re sobriety are worth it for their own sake , regardless of your licence status. Others on here will have more informed advice , but what is key is that you establish a constructive relationship with a GP, have your sobriety noted on your medical records, and as far as possible without impeding any treatment, avoid having to be prescribed / take drugs that are likely to be problematic. You may want to access counselling / alternative therapies for help with any sleep issues . This is really disappointing for you , but it need not be a catastrophe : truly. There is a lot of really good support on this forum. I’m sure that someone will give very good , informed advice . It may not be exactly what you want to hear , but it will be helpful and constructive . We’ll done for posting .

Hi All

I would echo every word of Pollys response. I can’t offer anything more than support to you, as I know nothing of opiates etc. I do see Dvla’s actions as incredibly harsh. To make a decision that because of that non disclosure you were maybe not being honest or hiding it, in my opinion is abhorrent. Like you, I’d be incredibly angry. But I’m afraid, the dvla are a one way street. Once they’ve made their decision, unfortunately it’s time to get your head down and make the best of it. Just reading your post I’m gutted for you. It could happen to any one of us. Good luck matey, I hope you get the support you need, and eventually return to the world of driving.

I think I must be ignoring Gary Wheeler as I’m not seeing his comments. Just as well, I don’t do very well with keyboard warriors

Georgee

Sorry to hear about your problems at this time. My own advice for what it's worth is - speak to your GP and arrange regular blood tests every few weeks to prove their are no drugs in your system.

To be frank with you - you probably won't get your licence back until next year at the earliest, so you need to be prepared for the long game, but make it work in your favour.

I would also abstain from alcohol and maybe ask your GP about having a regular liver function test. It's all about proving to the DVLA that you are staying clean and proving you are eligible for your licence.

CJ

Well I am sorry what I said if he’s been on drugs like heroin and drink he’s got no chance of getting he’s license back until he can prove he’s off them altogether then if he goes to counceling the dvla will write to them and ask what treatment he’s getting and dvla will tell him he’s got to be clear of all drugs and drink for a whole year

Hi All

I am a little confused you said they found traces of zolpidome in your blood to the best of my knowledge I could be wrong the blood test is for measuring cdt levels not for drugs or medication did you have a urine sample taken 🤷

I am a little confused you said they found traces of zolpidome in your blood to the best of my knowledge I could be wrong the blood test is for measuring cdt levels not for drugs or medication did you have a urine sample taken 🤷
Why are you so argumentative and rude? Fact of the matter is we’re all on here because we’ve made mistakes. You seem to be on a high and mighty
Not cool
I’ve got my licence back how ever I recall how horrible it felt to feel so vulnerable
kindness costs nothing
You can be a lil more nice rather than be so abrupt

And yes you’re going to most likely attack me now…go ahead
Hate self entitled hypocritical bullies

And yes you’re going to most likely attack me now…go ahead
Hate self entitled hypocritical bullies
You again and again you have jumped on a simple question as for bullying are you for real do you actually read my posts or just see my name and think I will make myself look stupid.

I asked a straight forward question about the blood test is it for testing cdt levels, but could be wrong.

And you come back with calling me a self centred hypocritical bully.

My advice to you would be get a life and stroll past my posts 👋👋👋

You again and again you have jumped on a simple question as for bullying are you for real do you actually read my posts or just see my name and think I will make myself look stupid.

I asked a straight forward question about the blood test is it for testing cdt levels, but could be wrong.

🙄

I’m referring to your post prior…read back and reflect on your words a few times if you really believe you were being humane

Last edited:

Ohhh…I confused you for Gary wheeler…many apologies…sorry
I’m genuinely sorry
My comments were to him, not you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off