6 month rule

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rm0892

Has anyone had experience in the Yorkshire area of blood tests not coming back in time and the case being dropped?

Last edited:
You need to clear your head of possibilities like this. Focus on dealing with your current situation and sorting your life out.
You have only just been caught drink driving and you are clutching at straws about a very remote possibility in 6 months time.
Even if people say that there was no further action after 6 months, it does not mean that it timed out. Agreed People report enquiring after 6 months and being told that there were no proceedings against them, but in most of those cases the real reason was that the result came back under the limit and the officer in the case forgot, or didn’t bother, to tell them at the time and they only found out after they enquired after 6 months.
From what you have said on your other posts, you are certain to be over the limit and need to plan on that basis.

Sorry to be blunt, but once you start to think on that basis, you can begin to get clarity on what you can begin to plan for your future.

Reactions: TPR
You need to clear your head of possibilities like this. Focus on dealing with your current situation and sorting your life out.
You have only just been caught drink driving and you are clutching at straws about a very remote possibility in 6 months time.
Even if people say that there was no further action after 6 months, it does not mean that it timed out. Agreed People report enquiring after 6 months and being told that there were no proceedings against them, but in most of those cases the real reason was that the result came back under the limit and the officer in the case forgot, or didn’t bother, to tell them at the time and they only found out after they enquired after 6 months.
From what you have said on your other posts, you are certain to be over the limit and need to plan on that basis.

Sorry to be blunt, but once you start to think on that basis, you can begin to get clarity on what you can begin to plan for your future.
Agreed, should always be pessimistic, however I can't be the only one to have charges dropped due to 6 months expiring. Would be interesting to see some statistics on this. My bet is that it has risen in the last few years due to various reasons. But nonetheless the assumption should be that you will be charged.

There are a few occasions when drink drivers slip through the net when the police do not process them in the six month time limit but it is extremely rare.

Everything the cops do is recorded on computers and even if the arresting officer might have forgot to process your DUI file, I am sure there are other staff and supervisors who will monitor the investigation and give the arresting officer a kick up his/her backside if they haven't done anything with it for so long!!!

Alot of the time, the police are 'plate spinning' things like ongoing 999 calls, multiple crime reports and serious investigations that take priority over a summary offence like DUI - therefore it isn't necessarily at the top of their priority list. It is fair to say, most police officers are chasing their tail with the demands of the public.

I am sure many cops deliberately leave DUI offenders to stew for X number of months before submitting the prosecution file before the six month deadline.

As Pricey has stated, forget any illusions that you might get away with this, because I am more than confident it won't just disappear.

CJ

Reactions: TPR
Agre
There are a few occasions when drink drivers slip through the net when the police do not process them in the six month time limit but it is extremely rare.

Everything the cops do is recorded on computers and even if the arresting officer might have forgot to process your DUI file, I am sure there are other staff and supervisors who will monitor the investigation and give the arresting officer a kick up his/her backside if they haven't done anything with it for so long!!!

Alot of the time, the police are 'plate spinning' things like ongoing 999 calls, multiple crime reports and serious investigations that take priority over a summary offence like DUI - therefore it isn't necessarily at the top of their priority list. It is fair to say, most police officers are chasing their tail with the demands of the public.

I am sure many cops deliberately leave DUI offenders to stew for X number of months before submitting the prosecution file before the six month deadline.

As Pricey has stated, forget any illusions that you might get away with this, because I am more than confident it won't just disappear.
Agreed, they have more important priorities and they will let people sweating for months on end. However I did have someone tell me that they look at your background and if clean there is a chance they dont take any action, given that their quotas are full, as they realise that in some cases it is a genuine one off mistake and not worth ruining someones life over. I think they know that a lasting criminal conviction in certain cases is a bit over the top.

Agre

Agreed, they have more important priorities and they will let people sweating for months on end. However I did have someone tell me that they look at your background and if clean there is a chance they dont take any action, given that their quotas are full, as they realise that in some cases it is a genuine one off mistake and not worth ruining someones life over. I think they know that a lasting criminal conviction in certain cases is a bit over the top.
I think there is zero chance of the police “looking at your background and not taking action if it is clean”.
In the time they have made those enquiries they could have submitted the file wide over!
I also do not know of any police officer who thinks that a lasting criminal conviction is “a bit over the top” for a drink drive offence. (As a retired police officer I know quite a few)
With many forces, after the arresting officer has dealt with you, if there is further action needed - such as chasing up blood or urine results, then it is usually done by back room people, so there are no ongoing problems for the frontline officer to worry about.

Prepare for the worst - if you were over the limit you will get charged. The sooner you accept this the better
Grasping at straws will give you 6 months of false hope which will not help you
Get your paperwork ready for court, character ref, letter of remorse to the bench & decide if local solicitor etc
Also inform your work and sort local transport so it’s not a shock
Agree with Price police looking at background no way
Sorry to be blunt but 6 months hoping it will go away will make the time harder

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off