4th nerve palsy

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mimo2008

Hi all hope someone can advise me but cut a long story short i went to bed one night and woke up in the morning with double vision also had focusing issues at long distance been hospital a few times as opticians sent me because they couldn't see any problems with my actual eye-balls had a CT scan MRI scans etc all clear..

But my wife said i should notify dvla about my condition which i have had to fill out medical information but some of the questions was hard to answer because my condition is starting to get better I've tried calling dvla but no luck on getting through. So would anyone know if they would call you regarding your application?

Thanks
For anyway wants to know i been told I have 4th nerve palsy which either a infected nerve leading to a muscle around the eye or the muscle is paralysed which can take weeks to a few months to clear its been over a month now and my double vision only happens when I look down with just the eye balls when I tilt my head down its fine and i no longer have focusing issues...

DVLA will not call you, or even give advice on the phone about a visual impairment. You have to fill in a V1 form that will cover your condition because there are sections for “other” where you can explain if none of the quoted examples fit. They will then make enquiries with your consultant.

In the meantime I don’t think you should be driving. If you get double vision glancing down, that will cause problems with checking your instruments, including your speedometer. The form does point out that it is an offence to drive with eyesight problems and, more importantly that you would be held liable if you were involved in a collision.

DVLA will not call you, or even give advice on the phone about a visual impairment. You have to fill in a V1 form that will cover your condition because there are sections for “other” where you can explain if none of the quoted examples fit. They will then make enquiries with your consultant.

In the meantime I don’t think you should be driving. If you get double vision glancing down, that will cause problems with checking your instruments, including your speedometer. The form does point out that it is an offence to drive with eyesight problems and, more importantly that you would be held liable if you were involved in a collision.
Thanks for the reply i have filled out the form and already sent it... i did put some question marks on it because we didn't know how to answer them but i will try and contact them and explain more over the phone. Only problem i have noticed that they have gone on strike.

You will not get hold of anyone to explain your circumstances to.
The call centre people there can access driver details, but that is it. They are not medically trained.
The medical section do not answer the phone themselves and you cannot be put through to discuss your form with a medical advisor.
DVLA will write to you when they have assessed your V1 and tell you what they are doing about it, including writing to your consultant.

You will not get hold of anyone to explain your circumstances to.
The call centre people there can access driver details, but that is it. They are not medically trained.
The medical section do not answer the phone themselves and you cannot be put through to discuss your form with a medical advisor.
DVLA will write to you when they have assessed your V1 and tell you what they are doing about it, including writing to your consultant.
Ah ok thankyou.

Thanks for the reply i have filled out the form and already sent it... i did put some question marks on it because we didn't know how to answer them but i will try and contact them and explain more over the phone. Only problem i have noticed that they have gone on strike.
Mimo,

Price1367 answered your main questions perfectly so i cannot add any more, but just a heads up - as of now 07.20am on sunday 14th march, DVLA have voted for strike action IF management do not change working conditions. They are considering the next move, so not actually on strike mate. This could, obviously, change but in my opinion it won't slow anything down as much as covid has done! I'm now driving under a re-newed section 88 as i've been waiting for a medical and now the DVLA decision for 12 months and 3 days!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off