2nd Medical? 12 month temp license

Convicted Driver Insurance
So thanks for everyone’s responses. So since I’m on a temp license I’m no longer HRO? Is there any written info on this as my parents are telling me I cannot drive under section 88?

This will be my 4th (temp) yearly license, The first two times I had to do a medical (all passed), last year because of Covid, no medical, they just wrote to my Doctor, Doctor called me asked me asked some questions on the DVLA form - all ok,

I am still waiting for my 4th, I don't think I will have to do another medical, My Doctor called me back in August. I periodically check on DVLA License Status online, also call them a couple of times a month - They say they have a backlog. I am driving under Sec 88. DVLA know, so does my Doctor.

So thanks for everyone’s responses. So since I’m on a temp license I’m no longer HRO? Is there any written info on this as my parents are telling me I cannot drive under section 88?

Show them this link, it clearly says that you CAN drive under S88 unless you are a HRO, you have had your licence revoked or cancelled for medical grounds, providing your complete and correct application has been received and your GP has no objection to you driving. Once you have received a temporary licence for the first time, you are no longer viewed as a HRO but on a “temporary medical licence”

Show them this link, it clearly says that you CAN drive under S88 unless you are a HRO, you have had your licence revoked or cancelled for medical grounds, providing your complete and correct application has been received and your GP has no objection to you driving. Once you have received a temporary licence for the first time, you are no longer viewed as a HRO but on a “temporary medical licence”

That’s so helpful thanks, January is approaching and I’ve heard nothing, what is it I need from my Doctor as i’ll get this. I can’t get through to the DVLA for advice!

You should get an appointment with your GP and get him / her to record on your notes that they have no objection to you driving, from a medical standpoint.
Appointments can be hard to get at the moment, so a phone call could achieve the same result.

The actual wording on the gov website say

i’m just worried as it says; to continue to drive under section 88, you must meet the criteria - you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 13 june 2013” that sounds contradictory to what you’ve said? Sorry im just so scared i’ll drive and get arrested for driving without a license!! I appreciate your hell truly.
“ you were

It means that people can drive under S88 if they meet the criteria…. But that exemption does NOT apply to someone who is a High Risk Offender convicted after 1st June 2013.
A HRO being someone who has had 2 convictions in 10 years, blown over 87 in breath or failed to supply.

It means that people can drive under S88 if they meet the criteria…. But that exemption does NOT apply to someone who is a High Risk Offender convicted after 1st June 2013.
A HRO being someone who has had 2 convictions in 10 years, blown over 87 in breath or failed to supply.
I blew over 87 and was a HRO

But I have just seen that you have been granted a 1 year licence already, and this is about a renewal.
Once you have been granted a temporary licence, you lose your status as a HRO and you are on a medical licence. You therefore CAN use S88 to drive

But I have just seen that you have been granted a 1 year licence already, and this is about a renewal.
Once you have been granted a temporary licence, you lose your status as a HRO and you are on a medical licence. You therefore CAN use S88 to drive
Thank you!

Cb101

Good afternoon

I am in exactly the same boat as yourself. I am a HRO banned who was banned in 2019. I was re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence on the 21st January 2021, therefore I am approaching the expiry date. I sent my D1 driving licence renew through the post via recorded delivery on the 25th October, then I received some medical forms earlier this month that I completed and returned via recorded delivery (too).

As Big Tom has said, it is very much a repeat process of what we went through last year. One of the main things here is that the DVLA want to verify there have been no new medical issues in the last 12 months since they gave us the temporary licence. That is why they write to the GP (again!).

Like yourself - my last drink was in August 2019. I have contacted the GP a couple of times this year just to arrange LFTs and continue to prove my sobriety. I am anticipating I will be using Section 88 come the 21st January 2022, however I am going to book in with my GP for a health check in early January just to cross the t's and dot the i's with the Section 88 process.

I am not worried in the slightest by all of this. I am hoping that I will be granted a longer driving licence next time round, so at least I don't have to go through this all again in another year's time.

CJ
I don’t really think mine was due to alcohol, i passed my CDT and never had any alcohol issues but I did have illegal use of diazepam due to depression which is why I assume I got this 12 month temporary license, I’ve never gone back to my dr about diazepam as I recovered from my addiction years ago so im hoping they will see that and award my license as im not a drinker at all.

im worried about driving under sec 88 as a previous hro and also confused how im meant to renew my insurance with no valid license.

I don’t really think mine was due to alcohol, i passed my CDT and never had any alcohol issues but I did have illegal use of diazepam due to depression which is why I assume I got this 12 month temporary license, I’ve never gone back to my dr about diazepam as I recovered from my addiction years ago so im hoping they will see that and award my license as im not a drinker at all.

im worried about driving under sec 88 as a previous hro and also confused how im meant to renew my insurance with no valid license.
You say you "never had any alcohol issues", but you were convicted of drink driving and was branded with the HRO status. DVLA will see this as an issue with alcohol. On top of this there is evidence of illegal drug use. I presume when you did your medical before, you carried out a blood test and a urine test? They issued a 1 year licence as they were not fully convinced that you were eligible to have a full licence, therefore the need for the medical again.

You have not been back to the GP, so probably the last notes the GP has on file says that you are a misuser of illegal substances. If you don't see the GP and let them know that you are no longer a user, they will not know and when DVLA write to them they will just tell them what is on their notes, you are a misuser!

As Price has already said to you, you are now on a medical licence and not HRO, so the S.88 rules do apply, and you can carry on driving as long as you have fulfilled all of the criteria set down by DVLA.

To renew your insurance, you don't necessarily need your licence. If you speak to the insurer and explain that you are driving on a S.88, they will (generally - depending on the insurer) be OK with this and issue the insurance.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off