12 month CDT Tests prior to medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Alybongo!

Hi All,
I just wondered if it is worth getting private CDT tests to prove no longer drinking now before medical in 12 months?
Lot of posts where people have to prove absenteeism for another 12 months after ban.
Thank you

Hi All,
I just wondered if it is worth getting private CDT tests to prove no longer drinking now before medical in 12 months?
Lot of posts where people have to prove absenteeism for another 12 months after ban.
Thank you
Waste of money as the dvla will not accept them. Get in touch with your GP and get them to write it on your medical records also if you are HRO ask them to do a liver function blood test every 3 months to help prove you are not drinking.

Hi All,
Thank you

To answer this question - NO.

As topchippyles has stated - you need to initiate contact with your GP and arrange for a Liver Function Test (LFT) every three months while you are banned.

One thing I would focus on now, is addressing any issues or naughty habits you have with alcohol. I know you used the phrase 'absenteeism' when preparing for your DVLA medical - this would entirely depend on your background history with alcohol and whether the DVLA have labelled you 'dependant' or a 'misuser'.

If you are unfortunate enough to fall into these two categories, you need to adopt a zero attitude to alcohol until you have completed the CDT at the medical. I appreciate its a very tall order this one, but the longer you abstain the more confident you will be at passing the medical and getting your licence back.

The comment about proving absenteeism 12 months AFTER the ban is an interesting one. If you are labelled a HRO who is 'dependent' or a 'misuser' - the DVLA can keep you as a 'live' medical case for six years or more. If you are very, very unlucky you will have to do a DVLA medical every 12 months, but this is very rare.

I fell into the DVLA misuser category and got a 12 month temporary licence after passing my first HRO medical in November 2020. During the last 18 months, I have continued to have the LFT's done as the DVLA are writing to my GP a second time.

I am hoping (fingers crossed) that once I have finally completed my second DVLA medical (that is long long overdue because of the DVLA backlog!) I will get awarded a longer driving licence (maybe 3 years). At least then, I can maybe pull back on having the LFT's and not feel guilty if I indulge with the odd glass of beer once in a while.

CJ

Last edited:
Hi All,
Thank you
If you have to abstain then your drinking was obviously serious. Was this advice from DVLA or GP? If so then the advice given stands. If not and it's a decision from yourself then great if you can absolutely abstain for that time.
I was a heavy drinker and decided myself to cut down. I was pretty desperate to do so. After a heavy session I decided that was it! I abstained for 4 wks then went on to stay within the recommended units. I did this for 14 months. A week before my CDT test I completely abtained again. My result was 0.5%

Hi All,
Thank you
The only bonus of doing a private test is to gauge your current levels and work from there. The dvla would not accept that as proof as they appoint approved doctors to perform medicals or cdt tests.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off