1 year renewal

Convicted Driver Insurance

MaryM123

Well Known Member
Hi all

Trying to get my ducks in a row so to speak.

My 1 year licence comes to an end in October. Do I just wait for something in the post or can I trigger this process sooner?

I believe with my GP‘s consent I can continue to drive in the meantime? Is this just a letter I need that I carry with me when driving? Do I need to speak to my insurance company?

Does the same process and therefore the same delays I experienced last year apply to this process too, I.e. CDT test and then back to my GP for a report?

I will have over two years sobriety logged with my GP by the time October comes…from experience will I be looking at another years licence or longer?

Thanks

MM

Hi all

My 1 year licence comes to an end in October. Do I just wait for something in the post or can I trigger this process sooner?

I believe with my GP‘s consent I can continue to drive in the meantime? Is this just a letter I need that I carry with me when driving? Do I need to speak to my insurance company?

Does the same process and therefore the same delays I experienced last year apply to this process too, I.e. CDT test and then back to my GP for a report?

I will have over two years sobriety logged with my GP by the time October comes…from experience will I be looking at another years licence or longer?

Thanks

MM
Same question. My "90 days" is approaching in 2 weeks time and I fully intend on getting a form from the post office if nothing is sent to me in time.

Insurance worries me the most! Like what do I put without a valid licence?! I'm not set on staying with the same company, I'm a "whatever is cheapest" kinda gal, so if I have to change providers, that worries me

Hi all

Thanks

MM

Mary

If your 12 month licence expires in October, you need to send off a D1 renewal form now. You can get a D1 from your local Post Office. Make sure it is sent via recorded delivery then the DVLA cannot use the old chestnut 'it has been lost in the post'.

You can continue to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, when your licence expires. However, you do need to seek advice from your own GP, before your current licence expires.

As it has been raised countless times on here, most GP's will not give you a definitive answer as they are sitting on the fence most of the time with the their decision making.

I would simply ensure you approach the GP and get any communication documented in your medical records. The GP will invariably throw the ball back in your court about whether you are suitable to continue driving.

My own 12 month driving licence expired in January 2022 and I have been driving under Section 88 for the past 7 months, with no date for my second DVLA medical. The DVLA are just in a complete shambles.

Hopefully you'll get your next licence sometime in 2023!!!!

CJ

Mary

If your 12 month licence expires in October, you need to send off a D1 renewal form now. You can get a D1 from your local Post Office. Make sure it is sent via recorded delivery then the DVLA cannot use the old chestnut 'it has been lost in the post'.

You can continue to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, when your licence expires. However, you do need to seek advice from your own GP, before your current licence expires.

As it has been raised countless times on here, most GP's will not give you a definitive answer as they are sitting on the fence most of the time with the their decision making.

I would simply ensure you approach the GP and get any communication documented in your medical records. The GP will invariably throw the ball back in your court about whether you are suitable to continue driving.

My own 12 month driving licence expired in January 2022 and I have been driving under Section 88 for the past 7 months, with no date for my second DVLA medical. The DVLA are just in a complete shambles.

Hopefully you'll get your next licence sometime in 2023!!!!

CJ
7 months?! Jeez! You’ve not heard anything?

I’ll get On it come Monday. Here was me thinking it might have gotten easier! 🙄

7 months?! Jeez! You’ve not heard anything?

I’ll get On it come Monday. Here was me thinking it might have gotten easier! 🙄

Mary

I had a letter through the post at the end of May telling me they were writing to my GP. Not heard anything since then - I would have thought my GP would have made contact with me by now as they usually contact patients if they are releasing personal medical information to the DVLA.

One of the other forum members on here stated to me he was eventually allocated a DVLA doctor to conduct a medical, but there is a waiting list for appointments because of their workload. I can see Christmas on the horizon at this rate for me. The DVLA are just awful aren't they?

CJ

C J 1980..

Have you chased up your GP as I had to,do you remember the first year when I had the fiasco of my GP wouldn't reply to DVLA until they had been paid,and DVLA refused to pay until they had received the reply from my GP?

I eventually paid my GP surgery personally (against the advice of DVLA telephone advisors) to get the ball rolling so to speak,from memory it was £40 or £60,cash, which I didn't get refunded..

Fast forward I had a medical, not with the Ist GP surgery as they couldn't offer me an appointment,the same with you,and this year they replied to DVLA without speaking to me,or even telling me the information issued, though I asked to see this..

My wait for a medical was similar to yours (License expired 20/12/21,and DVLA offered me a medical, their reply was dated 29/6/22,again as you are aware the appointed surgery could not offer me a date for this,so eventually secured another GP not too far away to do the medical, with a provisional date 18/08/22.

This means I was,and still am using the section 88,and have not been able to take 2 job applications further as both could not put me on their company insurance due to not having a current license..

I have replied publicly as other forum members may have the same delays as we have,and you must be due a medical imminently..

This year my GP surgery must have ammended their policy of replying to DVLA, although I would have preferred to be informed of any information given to DVLA, even though the only times I saw them over the last year was for confirmation of fitness to drive via section 88!

My advice would be to contact your GP now you know they have the paperwork.. hopefully DVLA will have received the reply,if not then push them,it's the nightmare that never ends!

Fingers crossed CJ!

C J 1980..

Have you chased up your GP as I had to,do you remember the first year when I had the fiasco of my GP wouldn't reply to DVLA until they had been paid,and DVLA refused to pay until they had received the reply from my GP?

I eventually paid my GP surgery personally (against the advice of DVLA telephone advisors) to get the ball rolling so to speak,from memory it was £40 or £60,cash, which I didn't get refunded..

Fast forward I had a medical, not with the Ist GP surgery as they couldn't offer me an appointment,the same with you,and this year they replied to DVLA without speaking to me,or even telling me the information issued, though I asked to see this..

My wait for a medical was similar to yours (License expired 20/12/21,and DVLA offered me a medical, their reply was dated 29/6/22,again as you are aware the appointed surgery could not offer me a date for this,so eventually secured another GP not too far away to do the medical, with a provisional date 18/08/22.

This means I was,and still am using the section 88,and have not been able to take 2 job applications further as both could not put me on their company insurance due to not having a current license..

I have replied publicly as other forum members may have the same delays as we have,and you must be due a medical imminently..

This year my GP surgery must have ammended their policy of replying to DVLA, although I would have preferred to be informed of any information given to DVLA, even though the only times I saw them over the last year was for confirmation of fitness to drive via section 88!

My advice would be to contact your GP now you know they have the paperwork.. hopefully DVLA will have received the reply,if not then push them,it's the nightmare that never ends!

Fingers crossed CJ!

Chrism

I remember you telling me about the cost implication with the GP surgery at the end of your ban, but we are now in the second round of this nonscene after a period back on the road. Therefore, we should not be paying anything for getting our licences back this time!

If the GP surgery refuses to respond to DVLA requests because they wanting paying for the privilege, then that is between them & the DVLA to sort out. I am more than prepared to wait it out for the time being as I am not as necessarily reliant on driving as much these days with my current job.

I do know your own circumstances are different to mine, so I completely understand you are eager to get your next licence. I'll probably give my GP surgery a tinkle this week just to see if they've had anything through from Swansea.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off