1 year licence renewal.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dob280

Hi. After serving a ban in march of 2019 I was issued a one year medical restricted licence. Because I confided in my gp I had problems with alcohol due to a berevament in my family in the same period. Which created the rigmarole when the dvla asked to see my medical records. In December I sent off the renewal letter. And the dvla said they will write to my doctor I have drove a car for a year for no problems. I don't even drink alcohol anymore. I never even go to the doctors as I don't need to and I work in excess of sixty hours a week. Do you think I would get another 1 year licence or possibly my full licence back?

If you have been classed as dependent then it is advisable to supply another two liver function tests to support your reapplication for your driving licence, once running on a temp licence they can run from 1/6 years I'm afraid, they are in place to make sure there are no relapses during this time, and if not then `you could well get a full 10 year licence but only when DVLA are satisfied that `you are no longer a threat with alcohol, it's good advice to have kept in touch with your GP so when DVLA do write to your GP then with the LFTs these would of supported your application that there are no further problems therefore issuing another 1year licence, make an appointment now to record with your GP there are no problems, if he hasn't seen you for a year for all he knows you could of relapsed.....

Hi mate

I'm still serving my ban as a HRO and I've looked into this & spoke to another convicted HRO drink driver who kindly gave me his advice from his experience several years ago.

Both of us fall under the umbrella of being alcohol dependant and I believe the DVLA first grant a 1 year only licence. They then go through a further medical a year later. After the second medical, the DVLA can issue a five year licence subject to review. Once the five year licence comes to an end, the DVLA should in theory 'sign' you off as a competent responsible driver again (although the DR10 marker will remain for a few more years).

Please don't take this for granted as I'm sure everyone's circumstance is different.

I have already had a liver function test done recently and it has come back fine. I'm planning on doing another one later in the year during the last few months of my ban so it is documented that I have been abstaining from alcohol for over a year.

Certainly during this 'probation' period the DVLA will still expect assurances that you have not slipped back into your old ways. I would therefore suggest just keeping a regular health check with your GP every 6-12 months so your progress is documented.

I also find that GPs and surgery staff are more than happy to accommodate people like us because we are doing something positive for our health.

Good luck.

CJ

If you have been classed as dependent then it is advisable to supply another two liver function tests to support your reapplication for your driving licence, once running on a temp licence they can run from 1/6 years I'm afraid, they are in place to make sure there are no relapses during this time, and if not then `you could well get a full 10 year licence but only when DVLA are satisfied that `you are no longer a threat with alcohol, it's good advice to have kept in touch with your GP so when DVLA do write to your GP then with the LFTs these would of supported your application that there are no further problems therefore issuing another 1year licence, make an appointment now to record with your GP there are no problems, if he hasn't seen you for a year for all he knows you could of relapsed.....

I wasn't classed as dependant. Its a strange situation. I had passed the dvla medical at the same time my bereavement had happened. The outcome was I had to show six months of controlled drinking. I had blood tests with my gp. All normal. I undertook the dvla medical second time. Passed with flying colours. I was issued a one year licence. And a letter of apology for the dvla as they did not respond to evidence as quick as was available. I guess its just a waiting game

There was no alcohol abuse. Apart from drinking heavy after a bereavement back in August 2018 which coincided when the dvla were writing to my doctor when I passed the first medical

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off