How to prove abstinence to Dvla?

Convicted Driver Insurance
To the best of my knowledge, GPs don't do CDTs and the DVLA will not consider records of private CDTs because they basically cannot verify their integrity.

A private CDT is fine for your own piece of mind but I wouldn't be forking out £360 to have four done over the course of the year because it will not make a blind bit of difference to the DVLA.

The best solution to prove abstinence is getting it documented with your GP and request regular LFTs. It will be far cheaper and much more practical.

CJ

To the best of my knowledge, GPs don't do CDTs and the DVLA will not consider records of private CDTs because they basically cannot verify their integrity.

A private CDT is fine for your own piece of mind but I wouldn't be forking out £360 to have four done over the course of the year because it will not make a blind bit of difference to the DVLA.

The best solution to prove abstinence is getting it documented with your GP and request regular LFTs. It will be far cheaper and much more practical.

CJ
Will 4 LFTs be alright do you think?

Will 4 LFTs be alright do you think?

It should be. Just be mindful though - my last LFT came back slightly higher than it should be. This is despite the fact, I've not touched alcohol for over a year!

The problem with LFTs, sometimes they can be high for a multitude of reasons not connected to alcohol. I believe athletes can get high readings. I remember the guy from 'Super Size Me' developed severe liver problems just from fast food and no alcohol!!!!

The DVLA do put you between a rock & a hard place. On one side - if you don't have the LFTs done they may argue - well prove you've been abstinent for 12 months. On the other side, you have regular LFTs and for no apparent reason they could come back at elevated levels. The liver is such a complex organ - with the best will in the world it can be spouting out other issues that are not alcohol related.

The DVLA CDT is the golden ticket - if you've not consumed alcohol for X number months it is guaranteed to be a low reading which is the whole point of the test. If you pass the CDT, your half way there.

The only other sensible solution is maintaining a professional relationship with your GP. Get the sobriety documented and at least if you are insisting on the LFT, it's evidence that you have nothing to hide. The DVLA will write to your GP so it's important you keep in regular contact with him/her during your ban.

I hope my advice has been useful.

CJ

Hi i have just received my letter no details on when I can reapply. How do I know when i can reapply. I have not had any alcohol since February. This is documented with my gp.
Any advice would be appreciated

It should be. Just be mindful though - my last LFT came back slightly higher than it should be. This is despite the fact, I've not touched alcohol for over a year!

The problem with LFTs, sometimes they can be high for a multitude of reasons not connected to alcohol. I believe athletes can get high readings. I remember the guy from 'Super Size Me' developed severe liver problems just from fast food and no alcohol!!!!

The DVLA do put you between a rock & a hard place. On one side - if you don't have the LFTs done they may argue - well prove you've been abstinent for 12 months. On the other side, you have regular LFTs and for no apparent reason they could come back at elevated levels. The liver is such a complex organ - with the best will in the world it can be spouting out other issues that are not alcohol related.

The DVLA CDT is the golden ticket - if you've not consumed alcohol for X number months it is guaranteed to be a low reading which is the whole point of the test. If you pass the CDT, your half way there.

The only other sensible solution is maintaining a professional relationship with your GP. Get the sobriety documented and at least if you are insisting on the LFT, it's evidence that you have nothing to hide. The DVLA will write to your GP so it's important you keep in regular contact with him/her during your ban.

I hope my advice has been useful.

CJ
I'm not on a ban, I'm on a medical license and this time for renewal they've sent a DR1 form also, I had a detox 8 years ago and didn't drink for many years, I did drink for a few days in March 2019 but not to excess which is documented with my gp, I haven't had a drink since then, I had my first set of bloods done last week (FBC, GGT, LFT) They came back normal apart from my white cells being slightly raised but they're always up due to a skin condition I have, but the GGT and LFT are normal, I know about the CDT tests but I'm aware that the dvla won't accept private CDTs otherwise I would happily pay to get regular ones done as I have nothing to hide.

Hi i have just received my letter no details on when I can reapply. How do I know when i can reapply. I have not had any alcohol since February. This is documented with my gp.
Any advice would be appreciated

Calm - are you serving a ban?

JJ86 - I do believe the DVLA principles are similar for banned drivers and those drivers who haven't been banned but are subject to medicals as a result of alcohol issues. I just wanted to emphasise my point about the LFTs. No offence intended.

CJ

JJ86 - I do believe the DVLA principles are similar for banned drivers and those drivers who haven't been banned but are subject to medicals as a result of alcohol issues. I just wanted to emphasise my point about the LFTs. No offence intended.

CJ
None taken, I'm happy for the advice.

I have been refused as they say I am dependant, I they will consider my application from when I have been 1 year abstinent, I will be discussing this with my gp.
Thanks

Hi,
I'll give you a brief outline of my situation to see if anyone can help?
I had to declare mental health issues to the dvla in August 2019,they revoked my license until I was stable for 3 months, so I was issued a 1 year license in Nov 19, it's up for renewal in November 2020 but it has been extended to Oct 21 due to covid.
This time round they have sent a mental health questionnaire and a DR1, why have they sent this?
I was convicted of drink driving in 2003 but didn't have any alcohol issues at the time, unfortunately I became dependant on alcohol 9 years ago and had a community detox which was successful, I did not drink for 8 years until March 2019 when I had a couple of drinks over a few days but not to excess which is in my records.
My question is that the DR1 says before I reapply which will be Oct 21 I should make sure I can show I have abstained for 12 months which is fine as my last drink was March 19,I've rung my gp to ask if they can do tests to prove my abstinence for the next 12 months, they said they would do a liver function test now and one in 6 months, but I'm worried this won't be enough evidence for the DVLA, I'm considering getting private CDT tests done every 6-8 weeks, does anyone know if the Dvla accept private cdt tests?
Any help appreciated Thankss
The simple answer is to your question is NO, DVLA will only accept a DVLA registered appointed doctor with CDT or LFTs from your very own GP, two liver function tests is fine 4 is better, however they only refer to the last liver function test when offering medical eveidence on a DD2 medical report if all are showing normal throughout your 12 months, do stick with your original drink date as any information regarding alcohol consumption past this date will result in a revocation for yeh you guessed it 12 months......

My GP has stated LFTs dont prove abstinence, they only show liver function which can be affected by alcohol but also by many other factors.
The only test that prove this is a CDT test which the DVLA use and GPs dont provide them and DVLA wont accept private results.

He has also said he wont put on my medical record that I have been abstinent for over a year as there is no proof. so how the hell am I to prove I have been abstinent, they take our word we have an alcohol problem with no proof but they want proof if we say we havent had a drink, apparently our word is not good enough then - double standards

Can anybody provide a link to where it says LFT results are acceptable as evidence of abstinence for DVLA purposes - as I cant find anything on the DVLA or .gov sites - they just skirt round the issue by saying you need to provide evidence but then give no indication of how to achieve this and what methods are acceptable.

My GP has stated LFTs dont prove abstinence, they only show liver function which can be affected by alcohol but also by many other factors.
The only test that prove this is a CDT test which the DVLA use and GPs dont provide them and DVLA wont accept private results.

He has also said he wont put on my medical record that I have been abstinent for over a year as there is no proof. so how the hell am I to prove I have been abstinent, they take our word we have an alcohol problem with no proof but they want proof if we say we havent had a drink, apparently our word is not good enough then - double standards

Can anybody provide a link to where it says LFT results are acceptable as evidence of abstinence for DVLA purposes - as I cant find anything on the DVLA or .gov sites - they just skirt round the issue by saying you need to provide evidence but then give no indication of how to achieve this and what methods are acceptable.
GP is talking out of his arse.I have just completed 12 months of blood tests and a liver ultra sound to prove abstinence.

Rufus, It sounds like your doctor is not willing to help you with a reasonable request. He is right to say that LFT results can be affected by issues other than alcohol, but if you have a LFT at 3 monthly intervals and they are fine then it DOES show that you have no issues with alcohol. If they are bad, then he is right, it could be issues with your liver from other causes.
So good LFT results are what DVLA want to see, Bad LFT results raise concerns with DVLA, but COULD be due to another reason that they would want evidence of.
There is nothing in writing that says it MUST be LFT results for DVLA to be happy about misuse or dependence, it just says that they will make any enquiries they deem necessary to satisfy themselves that a person is fit to hold a licence. There is plenty of evidence to show that they want to see LFT results. You are right that GP’s will not do CDT tests, and private CDT toast with a private lab by post could have been submitted by anyone which is why DVLA do not accept them.
You should ask your GP at the very least to note on your medical records that you are reporting that you are alcohol abstinent each time you see him, and ask again for LFT‘s to be done.

Rufus, It sounds like your doctor is not willing to help you with a reasonable request. He is right to say that LFT results can be affected by issues other than alcohol, but if you have a LFT at 3 monthly intervals and they are fine then it DOES show that you have no issues with alcohol. If they are bad, then he is right, it could be issues with your liver from other causes.
So good LFT results are what DVLA want to see, Bad LFT results raise concerns with DVLA, but COULD be due to another reason that they would want evidence of.
There is nothing in writing that says it MUST be LFT results for DVLA to be happy about misuse or dependence, it just says that they will make any enquiries they deem necessary to satisfy themselves that a person is fit to hold a licence. There is plenty of evidence to show that they want to see LFT results. You are right that GP’s will not do CDT tests, and private CDT toast with a private lab by post could have been submitted by anyone which is why DVLA do not accept them.
You should ask your GP at the very least to note on your medical records that you are reporting that you are alcohol abstinent each time you see him, and ask again for LFT‘s to be done.

I think my GP is covering himself as he doesnt want any comeback should it be shown I have been drinking (which I havent). I have asked him to put on my record that "I, Rufus states" rather than himself but we will see what happens.
It is obviously to much to ask the DVLA for clear information what is classed as evidence - you state they will accept LFTs results as evidence but where is it stated that they will. This allows the DVLA to do as they wish turn and decline reissue for no good reason.

If the DVLA state I must provide evidence, thats fair enough, I dont have an issue with that as I havent drank for over a year but they should at least state what evidence would be acceptable (ie which tests and what results) be and how we ( HRO's) go about gathering this.
A blanket statement saying you must provide evidence but not stating what is acceptable is a waste of their time and ours as they will just get duff information.

You can still drink and have normal LFT results - I personally have had no issues with LFT results even before I gave up drinking, so they prove nothing.

How to pass DVLA medical
The DVLA medical exam that is required of high risk offenders is a thorough examination to ensure that you are physically and mentally fit to get behind the wheel again, if you’re not the results could be deadly for you and other drivers on the road.

Therefore it’s hard to cheat the DVLA medical and if you answer the questionnaire to the best of your ability and pass the medical examination with the doctor then you’ll pass the test and be safe to drive again.

The questionnaire goes into detail about your drinking habits, asking information about the amount of alcohol you drink each week, as well as questioning you about any past or present alcohol abuse. It also focuses on any misuse of alcohol or dependency problems you might face.

The physical part of the DVLA medical sees you provide a blood sample, sometimes a urine sample can be requested and a brief physical medical examination, this can include an eye test.

To pass the DVLA medical you need to show the doctor that there isn’t any evidence of persistent alcohol misuse in the last six months. You must also show that there isn’t any alcohol dependency in the last 12 months. You will fail to pass the DVLA medical if there is evidence of current alcohol misuse or dependency and this is something that can’t be hidden away discreetly.

You should show this to your GP, and you can cut and paste many examples from this site where people say they had to produce LFT results to satisfy evidence of controlling misuse or dependence.
There cannot be one set of what is required because it depends on circumstances about the offence, if there have been repeat offences, what is put on the medical questionnaire and any other information that has been supplied to DVLA.

How to pass DVLA medical
The DVLA medical exam that is required of high risk offenders is a thorough examination to ensure that you are physically and mentally fit to get behind the wheel again, if you’re not the results could be deadly for you and other drivers on the road.

Therefore it’s hard to cheat the DVLA medical and if you answer the questionnaire to the best of your ability and pass the medical examination with the doctor then you’ll pass the test and be safe to drive again.

The questionnaire goes into detail about your drinking habits, asking information about the amount of alcohol you drink each week, as well as questioning you about any past or present alcohol abuse. It also focuses on any misuse of alcohol or dependency problems you might face.

The physical part of the DVLA medical sees you provide a blood sample, sometimes a urine sample can be requested and a brief physical medical examination, this can include an eye test.

To pass the DVLA medical you need to show the doctor that there isn’t any evidence of persistent alcohol misuse in the last six months. You must also show that there isn’t any alcohol dependency in the last 12 months. You will fail to pass the DVLA medical if there is evidence of current alcohol misuse or dependency and this is something that can’t be hidden away discreetly.

You should show this to your GP, and you can cut and paste many examples from this site where people say they had to produce LFT results to satisfy evidence of controlling misuse or dependence.
There cannot be one set of what is required because it depends on circumstances about the offence, if there have been repeat offences, what is put on the medical questionnaire and any other information that has been supplied to DVLA.
so hes wrong - LFT's do prove abstinence and the DVLA do say they will accept LFTs as evidence

Playing with words, but LFT’s do not prove abstintence, but they do support the delaration that someone has not been drinking, or that they have been drinking in moderation, whichever is required by DVLA.

please explain how an LFT result supports that somebody has not been drinking - a heavy drinker can have normal LFTs, equally a non drinker can have abnormanl LFTs - the test relates to liver health only.

There is obviously no reference on what the DVLA regard as evidence as a link would have been produced by you already.
I appreciate you have vast experience in these matters and that LFTs have been put forward as evidence from others on this site but the only place that states LFTs are acceptable as evidence to the DVLA is this site.

If they do accept LFTs then they should say so on there website, is it that hard!

Which other site have you looked at that offers advice to drink drivers wanting their licence back?
If there are others, do they say not to bother with LFT’s because DVLA just take your word for it?
Try asking what they feel is necessary on other sites.
As I said before, it is at the discretion of DVLA what they feel is appropriate I. Individual circumstances, which is why they do not say”do xx or Yy” and you will get your licence back.

or maybe you could be the test case for this site. Don’t bother with LFT’s, just say to DVLA I don’t drink, honestly, please believe me” and report back
The outcome.....

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off