Driving in to oncoming traffic

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jax Marks

Hi,
I have a clean UK driving license for 15 years, but today a stupid thing happened.

I was driving on dual carriage way. At one point the road was divided into two. The left lane was single and right lane was dual. This means that the cars can come on both right lanes.
Somehow, instead of going to the left from the fork I ended up going to the right. I thought that the two right lanes are actually one for outgoing and one for incoming traffic. I was not under any alcohol or drugs influence.

I realized my mistake. Some cars flashed the headlights. Some honk the horns. Luckily there were not a lot of cars

I thought I drove 500 yards. I stopped the car and made a 3 point turn and drove correctly.

There were no cameras and no police cars, but I am afraid that someone might report me for careless or dangerous driving.

Please let me know if there is a possibility of something bad happening and what I can do in advance?

Thanks for any help

The police aren't out to get everyone mate, if they do come out then you can just explain that it was an honest mistake.

If someone has reported you then what would happen is the police would come out to you tonight in the next few hours to the address the car is registered to, do a breath test and if you passed that they would tell you to be careful in future and they would be on their way.

Unless someone has dashcam footage, and are prepared to go to court to testify against you, or have an independent witness, both of whom are prepared to go to court, you should hear nothing further.

Unless someone has dashcam footage, and are prepared to go to court to testify against you, or have an independent witness, both of whom are prepared to go to court, you should hear nothing further.

Even with the dash cam footage it would be hard for the prosecution to argue that this was intentional dangerous driving. Without the presence of a failed breath test or a witness statement saying they seen OP leaving a pub in his car then this wouldn't even make it to court.

Even with the dash cam footage it would be hard for the prosecution to argue that this was intentional dangerous driving. Without the presence of a failed breath test or a witness statement saying they seen OP leaving a pub in his car then this wouldn't even make it to court.

Agree - worst case scenario it would be Due care, but highly unlikely even that.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off