DVLA MEDICAL: GOOD NEWS AND ADVICE IF ANYONE NEEDS IT

Convicted Driver Insurance

ALEXF

I have received a call today from DVLA informing me that my license has been issued. With no restrictions or time limits etc.

I found the experience quite stressful. I am therefore willing to offer help to anyone who needs it. I have spent a lot of time looking into cdt testing etc and have taken the medical recently so hopefully i should be able to help. The DVLA also contacted my GP so if anybody has any questions about that then please ask.

I will give you an honest answer so plz be honest with me.

This site has been great. Some really nice people. But at times i wished i had never come across it. There are to many people who lie and cause others to worry. SO PLZ TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!

Good Luck

Well done m8:). I had no doubt you would pass with ease. Thank you for all your contributions to the forum. I got my medical next Monday, I have not had a drink for 4 days now, I did miss my weekend drink this weekend just gone but thought I would reluctantly abstain. There was no withdrawal symptoms because my consumption has mainly been just weekends the past 6 months. I will of had 11 clear days without alcohol by next Monday, unless I choose to have 4 cans Saturday afternoon while listening to the 1st football game of the season on the radio, hmmmm.

I was very surprised to hear that they phoned you and would also be interested to hear how you got the exact result of your CDT test!!!!

Well done m8:). I had no doubt you would pass with ease. Thank you for all your contributions to the forum. I got my medical next Monday, I have not had a drink for 4 days now, I did miss my weekend drink this weekend just gone but thought I would reluctantly abstain. There was no withdrawal symptoms because my consumption has mainly been just weekends the past 6 months. I will of had 11 clear days without alcohol by next Monday, unless I choose to have 4 cans Saturday afternoon while listening to the 1st football game of the season on the radio, hmmmm.

I was very surprised to hear that they phoned you and would also be interested to hear how you got the exact result of your CDT test!!!!

Thanks m8,

I fully intend to keep posting if anyone out there requires my help. This whole process is costly, time consuming and not to mention stressful. So the least I can do is try and offer some advice.

I was surprised they phoned me. My case had been marked as high priority as my promotion depended on it. When I called Fri the advisor said she would call me when a decision had been made but I thought she was telling me fibs to get me of the phone!!!

I got the exact test result by asking. Several times. I explained that I had paid for the test and they were in breach of several laws by not parting with the information. The advisor said she was not medically trained but I said that I just want the percentage and I will get someone who is medically trained to interpret it. And they gave it me.

I am sure you will be fine when it comes to the test itself. The amount of time you have abstained for should in theory be enough. More than enough. See if you can beat 0.8% :D

I have become a bit of an expert in CDT testing unfortunately. And I can confirm that its much "kinder" in this situation than a liver function test. Each persons situation is different but if your sensible in the 6 weeks leading up to the test and abstain for 14 days prior you will pass with flying colours barring any rare conditions that can cause a false positive.

A friend of mine did let me into a little secret though. Some alcoholics can have a "normal" CDT test score. So its not cut and dried by any means

any idea why the DVLA got in touch with your GP with cdt levels @ 0.8%???

Lance,

I know exactly why. I take an anti depressant called Mirtazepine. I made the doctor completing the medical aware of this and this prompted the dvla to send my doctor a document so they could assess my fitness to drive.

They asked questions about the side effects of the medication I take. MY GP gave me the impression that they wanted to know if I was stable etc. As I have said previously the cdt score is one part of the medical. If your unfortunate enough to suffer from an illness that could effect your ability to drive the DVLA reserve the right to make further enquiries.

They did in my case but I am over the moon that my license was issued.

p.s easy on the question marks

found this

i) Update on carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT) testing
The Panel agreed that CDT would become the sole test for assessing harmful use of alcohol in the HRO population, in conjunction with a thorough medical history and examination. A traffic light system would operate where CDT values up and equal to 2.5% are compatible for licensing, whilst values equal or greater than 3% should be considered an indication of harmful use of alcohol, and lead to licence refusal or revocation. CDT levels between 2.6 and 2.9% would trigger further enquiries with the High Risk Offenders’ general practitioner, although these numbers are still being finalised.

found this

i) Update on carbohydrate deficient transferrin (CDT) testing
The Panel agreed that CDT would become the sole test for assessing harmful use of alcohol in the HRO population, in conjunction with a thorough medical history and examination. A traffic light system would operate where CDT values up and equal to 2.5% are compatible for licensing, whilst values equal or greater than 3% should be considered an indication of harmful use of alcohol, and lead to licence refusal or revocation. CDT levels between 2.6 and 2.9% would trigger further enquiries with the High Risk Offenders’ general practitioner, although these numbers are still being finalised.

well i had my cdt test today, in and out the docs surgery in less than 10 mins, easiest dvla medical I have ever had "Ive had 8 medicals". Lets hope my score percentage is less than 2.5%.

If it is not or if I only get a 1 year licence this time around, I intend to take it to appeal.

Hi

I was banned in February 2012.

Since then I drank pretty heavily, although only at weekends. Anything up to about 40 units.

My ban ends next week and whilst I have sent my application to DVLA I have heard nothing from them (2 weeks ago).

I understand that I can drive when my ban ends in advance of doing the medical etc.

I have drunk nothing since the first week in June.

In your collective experience, am I likely to get through the medical?

(I am actually finding I don't miss the booze, which was a bit of a surprise!)

Thanks.

Hi

I was banned in February 2012.

Since then I drank pretty heavily, although only at weekends. Anything up to about 40 units.

My ban ends next week and whilst I have sent my application to DVLA I have heard nothing from them (2 weeks ago).

I understand that I can drive when my ban ends in advance of doing the medical etc.

I have drunk nothing since the first week in June.

In your collective experience, am I likely to get through the medical?

(I am actually finding I don't miss the booze, which was a bit of a surprise!)

Thanks.

Your cdt score will be fine by the time your medical comes around. You have done enough and more. The cdt score is one part of the medical. The questionnaire is also important. You will be asked about your drinking both past and present. They also want to know if you suffer from any illness and the medication you may be taking as a result.

The amount of time you have abstained for will make you pass with ease. There are some rare genetic traits and illnesses that can produce a false positive but its pointless worrying about those.

The Dvla do take their sweet time processing things but you will hear something very soon. I remember waiting over 2 weeks. You can always call them but you will be receiving a letter soon I am sure. If you want to ask anything else feel free. I

hi steve,

i sent my application off on the 25th of july and recieved my medical letter today
so i would imagine yours should be with you in the next few days.

Well, I can hardly believe it, I heard from them - rejected.

Reason, they have an in date photo of me and I sent a photo - if I want to proceed, please take the photo off and return the application.

Honestly, why in the name of all that is holy didn't they bin the photo themselves!

Doesn't bode well though?

they did the same to me because i never dated the cheque lol,

i called the franchise doctor friday the 16th to make my appointment and was told
cant have the medical until to 10th sept another 3 weeks wait. my ban ended on the
28 july, so i might be lucky and get it back sometime in october lol

Hi AlexF,

I am worried sick about my medical which i need to phone and book soon. I have abstained for 3 weeks so I am fairly sure that I will pass the CDT with ease. My biggest worry is that I have went to see my Dr around the time of my accident about 19 months ago to be precise and asked to go on antabuse I was going through a bit of a bad time and was hitting the bottle more than I should have. I went on this for 3 months and have never looked back, I do drink now about once a fortnight on a Friday I go out with the lads for a night out and probably have about 8 pints though I have no intention of doing such a thing before the medical.

I am worried that due to seeking help from my GP that I will be listed as a persistent drinker, I do not want to lie on my questionnaire as it warns of prosecution. I am married with two kids and as I say it was just a very dark time that I was going through. Did you indicate problems in the past with alcohol or was this just a random enquiry from DVLA. Has anyone ever experienced prosecution from lying on the questionnaire, it just seems so unfair that I will likely be penalised for getting help at the time. Any advice on this would be well received.

Just wondering if somebody can help me recieved a letter from dvla today after reapplying for my licence after being banned for drink driving and what i recieved was my birth certificate back and a note saying your driving licence will follow in 10 working days the part i dont get though is i am a high risk offender and i havent had a medical

Just wondering if somebody can help me recieved a letter from dvla today after reapplying for my licence after being banned for drink driving and what i recieved was my birth certificate back and a note saying your driving licence will follow in 10 working days the part i dont get though is i am a high risk offender and i havent had a medical

How bizarre, did you blow over 87.5? Not wanting to knock the DVLA but they do get things wrong it seems at times... can you not ask them to clarify?
Moodle

Yes i did had a medical a couple of years ago but failed but this time when i reapplied i got this letter. 1 thing i forgot to add is i sent a letter off my liver consultant , hospital and doctor to them so dont know if this has anything to do with it

Yes i did had a medical a couple of years ago but failed but this time when i reapplied i got this letter. 1 thing i forgot to add is i sent a letter off my liver consultant , hospital and doctor to them so dont know if this has anything to do with it

oh ok well in that case perhaps that was enough for them to not bother to do the medical, at the end of the day it might be that they didn't think it warranted a further one on the basis of what you gave them....happy days :) If it were me I would personally ring and check but if not just wait for postie :)

Moodle

I have received a call today from DVLA informing me that my license has been issued. With no restrictions or time limits etc.

I found the experience quite stressful. I am therefore willing to offer help to anyone who needs it. I have spent a lot of time looking into cdt testing etc and have taken the medical recently so hopefully i should be able to help. The DVLA also contacted my GP so if anybody has any questions about that then please ask.

I will give you an honest answer so plz be honest with me.

This site has been great. Some really nice people. But at times i wished i had never come across it. There are to many people who lie and cause others to worry. SO PLZ TELL THE TRUTH!!!!!

Good Luck

That is great news! So happy for you.

I wonder if the contacting of your GP is standard practice now or is it just in some cases?

Hope someone can help me here.

Thank you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off