My story.....so far - 2 pints and over the limit!

Convicted Driver Insurance
mrsw9,

Glad it went ok for you. You should have been offered the drink awareness course, do you know why you weren't offered this? I would chase this up by calling the sentencing court.

All the best.

Spoke to the lab that done the test, it was an 86 reading but the police take a 6mg deduction from that to allow for errors etc. Putting it down to 80. Turns out it seems my sample is kind of irrelevant anyway, as its the evidential police sample that really matters. Just got to keep my fingers crossed that that comes back at 80 or below :(

Gutted 1,

An important factor which will determine how close your result is to the police result is whether you kept your sample refridgerated before it being tested; mine wasn't, and I handed it to the lab approx 9 hours after the blood was taken.
My result was 87, but the police came back way over 90.

Just something to consider when anticipating the police result. Good luck

someone help..

to cut a long story short i got taken to the police station for a breathe test after being stopped for drink driving. i blew 42 on the breathalyser and got offered the blood or urine test. I chose blood and then got let out emidietly and dropped of where and told not to drive for half an hour n then i would b fine!

I them cudnt face waiting 8 weeks to find my result and paid £140 for my own specimen to me tested it came back 100 mg when it had to be 80 mg so yes i am going to court.

i am still waiting on a summons from the police but I am not sure on the punishment i will recieve can you help me please?

i have only been driving a year and like most people felt fine i had been at the pub for tea.

I work on the other side of town in preston and using public transport is going to be awful! can anyone give me answers

should i get a solicitor?

what will the fine be?

how long will i be banned?

after a ban what is insurance like?

all answers welcome - i am already feeling to consequences and i have let myself down.. :(

Probably the best thing to do is post the same thing in loads of different places and get everyone's backs up. That'll sort it all out.

someone help..

to cut a long story short i got taken to the police station for a breathe test after being stopped for drink driving. i blew 42 on the breathalyser and got offered the blood or urine test. I chose blood and then got let out emidietly and dropped of where and told not to drive for half an hour n then i would b fine!

I them cudnt face waiting 8 weeks to find my result and paid £140 for my own specimen to me tested it came back 100 mg when it had to be 80 mg so yes i am going to court.

i am still waiting on a summons from the police but I am not sure on the punishment i will recieve can you help me please?

i have only been driving a year and like most people felt fine i had been at the pub for tea.

I work on the other side of town in preston and using public transport is going to be awful! can anyone give me answers

should i get a solicitor?

what will the fine be?

how long will i be banned?

after a ban what is insurance like?

all answers welcome - i am already feeling to consequences and i have let myself down.. :(

Hi there, sorry to hear about your experience. I lost my licence for 12 months, currently 4 months into it :( Reduced to 9 month ban if I take the driving course offered. Fined £450 for my troubles too. I was like you on the breath test and went for the blood test option. And like you I sent my own specimen off for analysis. Mine came back as 80mg right on the limit but not illegal, unfortunately the polices sample (evidential sample) came back at 81!!! Mine meant nothing legally so I lost my licence. You have a problem because you only have had your licence for 1 year. Not sure on the how the laws will effect that, but you will lose your licence for sure with a blood reading that high. Not sure why there is such a high difference between breath and blood analysis, seems a bit strange. I didn't use a solicitor, couldn't really afford one. I was being quoted silly money like £1500 + etc. Insurance I am not sure on yet, but I am expecting it to double now I have a DD conviction. Silly mistake that I will never repeat :(

well not sure if this page is still in use but thought I'd add my story.

It happened to me last night. I went to the pub with some friends from work as it was one of their last days. I decided that I'd have a few (thinking over a few hours it shouldn't hurt), 5 pints later I went for a walk with a friend then returned to my car and started to drive home. I was pulled over and failed the breath test.

After being taken to the station I was breath tested again an scored 70. I felt fine but obviously this was not the case. I fully cooperated and then spent 8 hours in a police cell. This morning I got up, was passed clear to drive and headed home, humilated and so ashamed.

I live in a close family so I phoned my parents and they are utterly disgused. My Mum can't look at me. My job is as an area manager so this could massively impact on my future (if I have one). An evening of fun an the idea of driving home has literally ruined my life over night.

From what I've read I can expect 16-18 month ban and a nice big fine. Although the fine will hurt its the ban that will be worst so can anyone give me anymore info on roughly what to expect (is 18 months likely?) Also I have read for lower results (50-60's on the breath test) people can take a course to reduce their ban, is this an option for me too?

I'm not sure its worth contacting a lawyer but I will anyway. It's my first offence so this is a massive shock for me. Any help would be great. It's also reassuring to an extent to see I'm not the only one who's been this stupid!

Also do I need to tell my insurance company now even though I'm not yet convicted? I'm worried that although the police said I can drive until my court date that I may not be covered if this came to light.

thanks in advance. In need of any and all help at the moment.

well not sure if this page is still in use but thought I'd add my story.

It happened to me last night. I went to the pub with some friends from work as it was one of their last days. I decided that I'd have a few (thinking over a few hours it shouldn't hurt), 5 pints later I went for a walk with a friend then returned to my car and started to drive home. I was pulled over and failed the breath test.

After being taken to the station I was breath tested again an scored 70. I felt fine but obviously this was not the case. I fully cooperated and then spent 8 hours in a police cell. This morning I got up, was passed clear to drive and headed home, humilated and so ashamed.

I live in a close family so I phoned my parents and they are utterly disgused. My Mum can't look at me. My job is as an area manager so this could massively impact on my future (if I have one). An evening of fun an the idea of driving home has literally ruined my life over night.

From what I've read I can expect 16-18 month ban and a nice big fine. Although the fine will hurt its the ban that will be worst so can anyone give me anymore info on roughly what to expect (is 18 months likely?) Also I have read for lower results (50-60's on the breath test) people can take a course to reduce their ban, is this an option for me too?

I'm not sure its worth contacting a lawyer but I will anyway. It's my first offence so this is a massive shock for me. Any help would be great. It's also reassuring to an extent to see I'm not the only one who's been this stupid!

Hi badtimes , I'm sorry to hear about your problem, you're certainly not the first to make such a stupid mistake most of us on here have done exactly the same including me so try not to beat yourself up to much. Since I got banned I get sick of people saying to me "well we've all done it haven't we".
As far as the ban goes that will be up to the judge I blew 64 and got 17 months with 4 months reduction with the course, I did have a solicitor but in hindsight I'm not sure it made any difference, although it was nice to have someone to speak for me in court as I had never been to court before. My advice would be to go to court dressed smartly and be apologetic and I would imagine you will get a ban similar to mine.
The insurance on the car will be fine as although you have been charged with drink driving you haven't yet been convicted. I had problems insuring the car after I was convicted so have had to sign it over to someone else for the period of my ban.
And finally although it seems like the end of the world at the moment things do get easier and time flies, I'm over four months in now and it has gone really quickly. I haven't told my employer which has been really hard but maybe you could do the same?
Try not to worry to much about your Mum I'm sure she'll come round eventually after all you haven't murdered anyone, just buy her a box of Thorntons!
Everyone on here has had different experiences and I just wanted to share mine in the hope that it might be of some help to you. The most imprtant thing I have learnt is that I will NEVER NEVER EVER do this again.
Wishing you all the best with your case, if you have any questions or worries I'm sure you will get some support on this forum.
Claire

Hi Claire, thanks for your message. Its good to know you're not alone an then to learn with everyone else on here the hard way. I think if more people could see the testemonies from some people on here they would realise how real is an how much it can change your life.

Unfortunately I have to tell my work as I often have to drive when traveling. It is possible to use public transport so I hope this should be ok. Family may come around but guess that takes time.

thanks for the message :)

Hi Claire, thanks for your message. Its good to know you're not alone an then to learn with everyone else on here the hard way. I think if more people could see the testemonies from some people on here they would realise how real is an how much it can change your life.

Unfortunately I have to tell my work as I often have to drive when traveling. It is possible to use public transport so I hope this should be ok. Family may come around but guess that takes time.

thanks for the message :)

That's ok badtimes just try to keep positve and remember it will get better, and time passes quickly, what seems like tradgedy at the minute actually isn't? If your employer appreciates you it shouldn't be a problem. Best luck and let us know how you get on. Claire

hello just read your story and was wondering if you could answer a question for me as am in a similar situation that you were in,you said they took your sample at 9 oclock and was 42 could you tell me what it was at 10.30 when it was clear many thanks someone sitting at home waiting for my blood results to come back

I feel stupid saying that person with professional HGV & PCV license could be pulled over by Police and fail roadside breath test - but this is how stupid I was.

I was at farewell party to one of our work mates. I drove there but did not want to drink. Anyway at the end of the day I've had 2 pints + something like 1/3rd or half of another. But as well I did not eat all day long. To be honest I did not feel that I am not ready to drive when I've got into the car. But Police breathalizer can't lie. I was pulled over and failed roadside test. Then taken to the station in handcuffs. I remember looking at the guy waiting for the bus. I felt humiliated something like ordinary thief. My reading was 0,49 and 0,50 at the station. I was offered the blood test option, which I choose. I am waiting for the results now. But the experience of been locked in the cell ... traumatic. Docotor was at the station circa one or maybe one and the half hour later. Took the blood sample. Then I had to take another breath test - 0.29 - and bailed out.
I've got my license since 1991.
Until now this license had no points. I am not driving large vehicles anymore. But I don't know how I gonna tell my employer about it. I do work i the schools sometimes.

I'll keep you updated about my case.

Today I have received the letter. My bail was cancelled and the reason is my sample is below legal limit.

Now I feel relieved from this burden but, I imagine what could have happen. I would like to share with you video clip, which I have found recently. I am 44 years old male - but i could not hold my tears, when I saw this.

[video=youtube;9vvDlDGxhIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9vvDlDGxhIs[/video]

And a small tip for all of these who will have the time in the cell waiting for a doctor. Work out guys, use this time to work out, no matter what or how stupid you think you may look like. Alcohol will be clearing of your bodies much quicker so there is a chance you may be within legal limit. But for most of all:

NEVER SIT BEHIND STEERING WHEEL AFTER THE DRINK - NO MATTER HOW IMPORTANT IT MAY SEE AT THE TIME

My drink drive experiance was a complete nightmare.
I was asked to drop something off to a mate in a pub, while there I was foolishly talked into having a drink.
I have a terminal illness and told 18 months to live, that was five years ago. Due to a heart operation I have had the experiance of a 6 month driving ban on medical grounds.
I am life dependant on drugs 16 per day of which two cause serious effects ie confusion, irrational behaviour and increased effects of alcohol. I also suffer from accute kidney failure due to mis-prescription of drugs by a consultant. It's probably no suprise that I also have severe depression.

Now believe or not, I am not a drinker as it causes me severe physical and mental effects. I ve been told I had a few drinks then drove the two miles home through country roads. I was followed the last half mile, I went down the drive and got out. A policeman walked down and asked me provided a breath test, I failed 68ug and arrested.
I was in custody from 2100hrs and released at 0115 only 4.5 hours.
I went to court and told the duty solicitor everthing about my circumstances. Went into court and I felt completely disappointed by the defence. The solicitor said I had an illness for which I take medication, I had no previous convictions and would ask for lowest driving ban as I have numerous local and national medical appointments and I live in rural area with very limited public transport.
I have held a clean driving licence for 34 years and had no criminal record.
I feel the mitigating circumstances being the effects of the drugs with alcohol on my mental state was not put forward.
It was so rushed, the defence speach lasted barely a minute and I didn't even get a chance to say a word.
Apparently someone informed the police.
Outcome was £100 fine, £20 victim support, £80 court fees and an 18 month ban ( reduced with drink drive course)
My driving license was extreamly important to me and all I had left.
As I am not able to afford the legal fees and costs of an appeal, i'm stuffed!

Fairness in law?.......only if you can afford it!

John44,
Having read your circumstances, i feel very sorry for your situation.
You were, however, correctly dealt with by the court and therefore have no grounds for appeal, in my view, even if you could afford it.
You are on medication that effects your mental state when alcohol is taken, yet you chose to drink. Your reading indicates that you had about twice the legal limit, so about 10 Units of alcohol.... 5 pints of beer or 3 1/2 pints of stella in your body. You cannot then expect leniency because of this know effect on you.
The alcohol, combined with the medication might have made you seem worse than someone who had not taken medication, but it does not take 2 pints and turn it into 5, the breath test machine records how much alcohol there is in your system,
The guidance for a reading of 68 is a 17 to 22 month ban, so you were dealt with at the lower end of the scale. It may seem hard, but it could have been worse.
Your solicitor did a good job of succinctly putting forward the relevant mitigation, and may have saved you getting a higher ban.
Luckily for you, you will not have to do a medical before you get your licence back, but should you be driving if your medication causes "confusion and irrational behaviour?"

I'm not in any way denying the amount of alcohol in my blood/breath or trying to say that my alcohol level was increased with these drugs. The irony is that I have not drank since I started these tablets and was completely unaware of the possible effects.
It was my doctor that made me aware two days before my court date. I just felt (as did my wife) that the whole thing was so quick. A defence speach was minimal with little mention of hardship etc. I was given bad prior advice to plead not guilty and have adjournment, then have a solicitor get medical supporting evidence, but then told at court to plead guilty. I was really confused and unprepared, not having any letters of reference or apology.
I now think (as does my friend an ex copper) that I did the right thing.
If I was to give advice it would be to be prepared and write an apology and statement for the magistrates including any and all mitigating circumstances.

I Actually don't normally drive when I have to take the painkillers as I physically can't.
It was a complete hash up of a day ending with unintentionally driving and bowing to pressure ( albeit light hearted) from mates.

Brilliant site and forum.....if only I'd found it before.

3 1/2 pints of stella in your body. "

Wow, I am amazed that 3 x half pints of stella could put a person twice over the limit. I am not picking an argument, just gratefully for the advice. I had 1 pint of stella on Sunday while eating some lunch. God I did not realise I was possibly over the limit to drive. Maybe its time that I never drink alcohol at all while out the house, if I intend to drive home.

Wow, I am amazed that 3 x half pints of stella could put a person twice over the limit. I am not picking an argument, just gratefully for the advice. I had 1 pint of stella on Sunday while eating some lunch. God I did not realise I was possibly over the limit to drive. Maybe its time that I never drink alcohol at all while out the house, if I intend to drive home.

Bristol.red, I do try to put people off drinking altogether, but I have to point out that twice the legal limit equates to about three and a half pints of Stella, not 3 X half pints.
next time I must change the font size when I put 3 1/2 pints.....

Sorry, I honestly thought you meant 3 half pints of stella. Just a bit of banter and yes to be on the safe side, don't drink at all is the best advice to anyone.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off