DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
I’ve read on some really old posts that once you have your medical you can call up and ask for a certificate to allow you to drive while you are waiting for the results. Is this something you have explored? My other half is waiting for his medical but it’s 3 weeks before he is due to finish his ban. Worried now that the DVLA timescales and doctors are taking that long for everyone’s the ban is extended way past the sentence given!!
It’s the 5th comment on this topic. Back in 2010. I’ve also seen a few others put it too. Has anyone checked this recently?

I’ve read on some really old posts that once you have your medical you can call up and ask for a certificate to allow you to drive while you are waiting for the results. Is this something you have explored? My other half is waiting for his medical but it’s 3 weeks before he is due to finish his ban. Worried now that the DVLA timescales and doctors are taking that long for everyone’s the ban is extended way past the sentence given!!
Not sure if this really happened years ago, or whether it is some kind of urban myth...

DVLA will not issue anything, they may point people to Section 88 and say that it is the person themselves that is responsible for whether they qualify for this or not.

Not sure if this really happened years ago, or whether it is some kind of urban myth...

DVLA will not issue anything, they may point people to Section 88 and say that it is the person themselves that is responsible for whether they qualify for this or not.
Guys just looked and got it back legit just now GP send forms off exactly a week ago today

That is madness they were 3/4 during corvid with staff working from home and now they are double the time frame they are all back at work.
And you know what, we’re all in this shit purely because the guidelines were changed and we were not informed! Literally I didn’t break the law or committed any crime (except in 2014) but I’m suffering like hell and mentally going crazy???? How is this actually right?? And it says on the letter I can start my process 8 weeks before my “ban” ends but my question is how would I be able to drive straight after my “ban “ end as just getting my application into their system takes them 5-6 weeks, and how many months will it take to get a medical appointment then how many months before they actually looking into my case???

I sent mine money 9th January and still heard nothing they told me minimum 8 weeks.
I just posted a consent form (Tracked) to contact my Gp it was marked for the medical dept i am hoping i am already on their system its an appeal after being revoked 6 weeks to register an application is a joke.

I just posted a consent form (Tracked) to contact my Gp it was marked for the medical dept i am hoping i am already on their system its an appeal after being revoked 6 weeks to register an application is a joke.
I think it’s rather beyond joke!!

I was flabbergasted when the lady on the phone last week confirmed they had received the email from my Gp on the same day it was sent. In the back of my mind i had xmas 2023
Some way it’s different (email)as I have found out that takes them 10 working days to get it into their system but it looks like an license application is rather 6-8 weeks? When my GP sent them an email it took them two weeks to scan it into then the next week I’ve got a letter from DVLA (no change in my case as I didn’t reach their criteria)

Is it possible for the DVLA to provide any further information on their processing times, such as whether or not they operate on weekends or if there are any factors that may impact the 10-day processing period?
I don’t think they can. I have been ringing them every few days for an update on my application and they always say, ‘We can’t give any timescales.’

does anyone know a current estimated wait time once you have done your medical appointment and the medical team have received all relevant documentation?? 😊
Many thanks

Wow. That’s AGES! The ban itself and all that went with it (loss of independence, freedom, cost of taxis etc etc) was a lot but I think this waiting, not knowing if they’ll actually give you your licence back is just as stressful!
Although, I’m totally accountable for the fact that i had my licence taken away from me and I regret my actions terribly, always will :(

I am in the same boat. I am almost a different person since I was last driving. My life has dramatically changed, which of course has taken work, so fighting to prove yourself at the last hurdle is quite difficult sometimes !

Just a quick update on my situation.

1 year licence expired on the 09th February 2023. I applied for a new licence around 10th November and have been driving on Section 88 since 10th Feb.

I have called the DVLA 3 times for an update, being polite but firm and telling them that the practice I had used in the past for my medical had no delays with appointments and I would be happy to use them again. Last call was about 10 days ago.

Today (16th March 2023) I received 2 letters from them, one telling me they were going to write to my GP and the other advising me of the Practice they wanted me to go to for my medical, the same Practice I had given them the name of.

So calling them does seem to pay dividends. Be polite, acknowledge they work hard and that the call handler can only tell you so much and if you can provide them with the name of a Doctor to carry out your medical exam, all the better.

The first time it took my GP over 9 weeks to reply to the DVLA and I don't expect it to be any different this time around, so I could be looking at July or August for my licence re-issue.

Hopefully this time one that will take me through until I am 70.

Watch this space.
I am in the same boat. I am almost a different person since I was last driving. My life has dramatically changed, which of course has taken work, so fighting to prove yourself at the last hurdle is quite difficult sometimes !

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off