How long do I have to book my medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Its normally 12 weeks if applying after a DUI ban you could always phone the dvla and explain the situation.
I'm a self reported alcoholic and I cannot begin to remember the time frame I was given to book my medical last year, as I just got the letter and booked straight away.

Sorry to bother you again, but were you caught drink driving or did the DVLA have you down as a problem drinker?

I am wondering if that makes a difference to the length of time your given - as you can see from others' posts, they've been given 6 weeks to book.

I've just found out my sister is pregnant and she lives in the middle east.

I'd like to visit but I normally do so for a couple of months at a time.

I wouldn't go for as long as 12 weeks but 8 weeks is the plan, so if I get a letter saying I have 6 weeks to book then I assume I'll get banned for failing to book my appointment within the stated time.
Hi again my license was revoked in 2018 for dependence that was back in 2006,I have a HGV license that I was renewing as it had been out of action for a while, with this you have to attend a D2 medical because it’s HGV and then they write out to your Gp for the relevant information ( unbeknown to me) and this is when I was revoked….

Hi again my license was revoked in 2018 for dependence that was back in 2006,I have a HGV license that I was renewing as it had been out of action for a while, with this you have to attend a D2 medical because it’s HGV and then they write out to your Gp for the relevant information ( unbeknown to me) and this is when I was revoked….
Wow, that's unfortunate but not the first time I've read avout that issue arising because of HGV licences.

I'm in such a dilemma now. It's much cheaper (£400-500) to book return flights but I don't know if I can risk going for as long as 8 weeks.

Do you think there's any possibility they've increased it to 12 weeks because of backlogs?

I saw several posts on here from 5-6 years ago and they all talked about having 6 weeks to book the medical but now 12 weeks seems most common.

How long ago was this?

Were you caught drink driving, or are you a problem drinker?

I think that might make a difference.

I've just found out my sister, who lives abroad is pregnant, so I would like to go out to see her.

When I do, I normally go for more than 6 weeks.

I was a drink driver. My letter came in Sept last year.

Wow, that's unfortunate but not the first time I've read avout that issue arising because of HGV licences.

I'm in such a dilemma now. It's much cheaper (£400-500) to book return flights but I don't know if I can risk going for as long as 8 weeks.

Do you think there's any possibility they've increased it to 12 weeks because of backlogs?

I saw several posts on here from 5-6 years ago and they all talked about having 6 weeks to book the medical but now 12 weeks seems most common.
What you can do is to phone Dvla and ask them to put your case on hold until you return if that suits you best, you can then pick up from where you left off …..

What you can do is to phone Dvla and ask them to put your case on hold until you return if that suits you best, you can then pick up from where you left off …..
Thanks.

I'm finding it literally impossible to get through to them, though.

I've phoned at least 10 times a day, every day for weeks now and haven't even managed to get in a queue.

Every time it's "we're experiencing a high volume of calls, please try again later", then hangs up automatically.

Thanks.

I'm finding it literally impossible to get through to them, though.

I've phoned at least 10 times a day, every day for weeks now and haven't even managed to get in a queue.

Every time it's "we're experiencing a high volume of calls, please try again later", then hangs up automatically.
Keep ringing the number repeatedly you will get through ….

Thanks, I'll hammer the calls this week.

I assume I have to take the medical within the 6/12 weeks, rather than just book it?

For example, I couldn't book within 6 weeks for a medical that's 8 weeks away?

Hi, it’s twelve weeks from the date on the letter.
The DVLA advise to wait four days before contacting the DVLA appointed Dr, to make sure they have received the paperwork.
I actually didn’t wait, phoned straight away and got the last appointment for that month ( some centres only to DVLA Medicals on one day a month, and GPs tend to have reserved days, and that might just be a small number of appointments a week, so best to get in asap, as no guarantees that you’ll get a slot ) If I hadn’t got that appointment I would have had to wait a month.
If you end up having difficulty making an appointment with the Dr they nominate, the DVLA may be able to offer you an alternative. So it’s best to make an appointment as soon as you can. If you go over the 12 weeks they can revoke any license that you hold.

I finally got through!

I was told they received all the paperwork they need from my GP this morning - seems a bit of a coincidence - and that it's with the right team.

Now I'll be praying that a brown envelope drops through my door soon and that it's not from HMRC, unless they're refunding me 😂.

I finally got through!

I was told they received all the paperwork they need from my GP this morning - seems a bit of a coincidence - and that it's with the right team.

Now I'll be praying that a brown envelope drops through my door soon and that it's not from HMRC, unless they're refunding me 😂.
Check online daily it will be updated on there first

I received my medical letter yesterday, it’s days for wait 4 days to call and 12 weeks to book the appointment, does anyone know after the medical it takes for a decision or is that a silly question! I am still feeling positive today that I am making progress towards my licence return!
Afternoon,

My licence was approved today! My medical was last Wednesday!

Afternoon,

My licence was approved today! My medical was last Wednesday!
Congratulations!

How long did you have to wait between your application and your medical?

I'm on 5 months and counting.

It's dangerous to keep someone off the road for that long, in my opinion, especially when I'm a self-reported alcoholic who has never knowingly been under the influence while driving.

I probably have been from drinking too much the previous day but I was drinking so much that getting in a car would have been a death sentence to me and/or others.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off