Lost drink drive awareness certificate

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paul anthony

Attended a course back July 2005 which I completed via an org called “drink driver education” yet have lost my certificate. Have other info but have lost the important part and the org does not seem to be active anymore.

Where can I get a copy from? Anyone know or can point me in the right direction please?

Attended a course back July 2005 which I completed via an org called “drink driver education” yet have lost my certificate. Have other info but have lost the important part and the org does not seem to be active anymore.

Where can I get a copy from? Anyone know or can point me in the right direction please?
Can I ask why you want a copy of the certificate?

If it is to try and reduce your insurance premiums, then I know from experience that it makes no difference.

Can I ask why you want a copy of the certificate?

If it is to try and reduce your insurance premiums, then I know from experience that it makes no difference.

I have never been asked by any car insurer whether I have completed a DD course either. I only have one more time I will have to declare my DD conviction for my next insurance renewal in September 2023. Come next year (2024) it will be spent. I am still glad I attended my DD course though, regardless of whether it affects the insurance.

CJ

I have never been asked by any car insurer whether I have completed a DD course either. I only have one more time I will have to declare my DD conviction for my next insurance renewal in September 2023. Come next year (2024) it will be spent. I am still glad I attended my DD course though, regardless of whether it affects the insurance.

CJ
I asked my solicitor about declaring spent convictions. He said if you don't declare it they treat it like not declaring any past accident or claim. If you have an accident in the future they may increase the cost of your insurance for not declaring.

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the 5 year spent (no prosecution for not decaring it) or if the 11 years spent ie- a criminal conviction stays on your license for 11 years, plays any part in the insurer being able to rise your insurance cost.??

Last edited:
I asked my solicitor about declaring spent convictions. He said if you don't declare it they treat it like not declaring any past accident or claim. If you have an accident in the future they may increase the cost of your insurance for not declaring.

I'm wondering if there's a difference between the 5 year spent (no prosecution for not decaring it) or if the 11 years spent ie- a criminal conviction stays on your license for 11 years, plays any part in the insurer being able to rise your insurance cost.??
Your solicitor is 100% wrong...

The rehabilitation of offenders act means that once a certain period has passed (in the case of a drink drive/in charge offense this is 5 years) then as far as anybody else needs to know, you have not has a conviction.

Sure, it can be on your licence for 11 years, depending on the actual offence, but technically nobody else apart from the police, dvla and yourself can find out. If you need to hire a car after 5 years, the licence code that you provide will show you have no convictions/disqualifications.

Some may argue that providing an employer your driving licence number, NI number and postcode, they can log in as you and will see the conviction - however this is illegal under data protection and anybody doing this can be fined and/or convicted themselves. If they accidentally find out about spent convictions, they are supposed to 'ignore' them...

For the period your conviction is unspent, if an employer or insurer specifically asks you if you have a conviction, then you MUST declare it. If you don't, you are committing an offence and can be prosecuted, fired from the job, accused of fraud and find any insurance is invalid.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off