DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance
Please tell me this ain’t a sick joke? If that’s the case all those in the system awaiting their licence back should go in a section 88 until the dispute is resolved. It’s not fair that these lazy bone idle uncaring btards should be able to inflict further punishment to their own gain. DVLA needs to under private ownership and be broken up. And what’s more, wales shouldn’t have their own office, but rely solely on London or Edinburgh, or somewhere with a memory that will inflict the same amount of misery on them in future. It’s an absolute disgrace how this government is allowing them to get away with this.
Their union the PCS are pushing for a strike at Swansea which in the current disharmony of labour relations. I can’t understand why the DVLA cant go for regional offices, similar to the old DVLC offices.

Their union the PCS are pushing for a strike at Swansea which in the current disharmony of labour relations. I can’t understand why the DVLA cant go for regional offices, similar to the old DVLC offices.

This seems to be a continuation of what was going on in 2020 during the Covid19 pandemic. From what I do know - many DVLA staff are hybrid workers who work from home and only do a couple of days a week at the Swansea offices.

Sadly, like many other industries at present - the railways, Royal Mail, NHS nurses - everyone is after increased wages in line with the cost of living. The DVLA are simply one of many organisations to go down the strike route at the moment.

CJ

I’m currently in the process of getting my license back after my ban. I submitted my D1 as soon as I was able to, attended my medical at the earliest opportunity and I was told that once they’ve received the results of the medical the process is around 3 weeks. I’ve contacted the DVLA medical team who have told me they received my results on 13/10/22 and I’m currently still waiting for my license to be approved - never mind posted. My ban was theoretically lifted a week ago.

Does anyone have any experience in this? Does anyone know what the current wait time is?

I’ve purchased a car as I was eagerly anticipating not having to cycle everywhere in the cold winter months and it’s so frustrating that I have no answers.

Thanks in advance everyone.
My ban ended on the 12/10/21 and I had applied for a licence on the 15/07/21.

I ended up getting a 1 year licence on the 10/02/22, 210 days after applying.

You have done incredibly well to have had a medical carried out before your ban ends. The only major delay now will be if they decide to write to your GP, which seems to happen for most HRO's.

PRIVATISE DVLA. simple as that. I've had 4 medical licences renewals - quickest was this year - paperwork in jan - licence today - 10 months - longest was 17 months with a renewed section 88 (yes it only lasts 12 months from DVLA receipt

PRIVATISE DVLA. simple as that. I've had 4 medical licences renewals - quickest was this year - paperwork in jan - licence today - 10 months - longest was 17 months with a renewed section 88 (yes it only lasts 12 months from DVLA receipt

That's why anyone driving under Section 88 needs to send off a further D1 in the post after about 9/10 months continual usage of Section 88, so technically you can continue using it beyond the 12 months. It's almost like an abuse of process, but needs must in the current climate thanks to these idiots at Swansea.

CJ

That's why anyone driving under Section 88 needs to send off a further D1 in the post after about 9/10 months continual usage of Section 88, so technically you can continue using it beyond the 12 months. It's almost like an abuse of process, but needs must in the current climate thanks to these idiots at Swansea.

CJ
The DVLA said they received my authorization letter to contact my GP. My wait begins now aswell, just hope it's not long

hedgehogx

Welcome to the forum. To be frank - you have done really well to get DVLA medical done and out the way in the timescale you mentioned. If you read through some of the threads on this forum, you will see that the DVLA is complete dire straits and people are waiting weeks and months for progress of their licence applications.

Unfortunately, the DVLA is full of incompetent, lazy and dishonest staff who are still playing the Covid19 card as an excuse for the ongoing delays. I was banned in 2019 and eventually re-instated with a 12 month temporary licence in January 2021 following completion of my DVLA medical. I posted my D1 off in October last year (2021) to renew the licence that expired on the 21st January this year (2022). Since then I have been driving under Section 88 legislation and I am still awaiting to attend my second DVLA medical. You couldn't make it up!!!!

CJ
Why do you need to do a second one? Because your one year license is expiring?

In the same position they have had my gp report for 2 weeks now rang them yesterday and they said they have everything it just needs looking at at which point I said whens it going to be looked at then and the reply was how long is a peace of string lol 😆 be patient fella soon be over 🤞
This is exactly what they said to me today!!

Why do you need to do a second one? Because your one year license is expiring?

If you are a HRO, you unfortunately have six years or doing medicals and having your GP contacted every time your licence needs to be renewed. If you are constantly receiving 12 month driving licences, you would have to endure this procedure six times.

CJ

I've been calling weekly and they tell me nothing. My medical was 22nd Sep.
I think I am going to have to make a complaint regarding the time frame. But that will probably take a few months before it's seen 😂
Mate, I'm scared to make a complaint incase they track it back to me.. then they definitely dont give me my license back 😂

Mate, I'm scared to make a complaint incase they track it back to me.. then they definitely dont give me my license back 😂
I've made a complaint. I called again this morning and was told there was no movement due to a back log and staff shortages.

If you are a HRO, you unfortunately have six years or doing medicals and having your GP contacted every time your licence needs to be renewed. If you are constantly receiving 12 month driving licences, you would have to endure this procedure six times.

CJ
Nah this is crazy.. a year is better than nothing tbf.. its just the inconvenience.. but you can still drive tho right? Like after your first license is coming to an end

I've made a complaint. I called again this morning and was told there was no movement due to a back log and staff shortages.
Piss take.. someone times it's who you know.. Only if we knew someone personally that worked in the DVLA

Its pathetic. They were coming out with that excuse two and a half years ago due to the Covid19 pandemic. No doubt, they will be playing the same excuse in another two and a half years time.

CJ

If anything I think the process will become far more streamlined.

It is going to have to, if it wants to avoid beng sold off, which won't be good news for many of the sandal-wearing origami lovers in SA99. And it's ironic that it will be a Labour government that has to do this, but that reform is probably already well underway back in London because Jeremy Hunt-you-next-Tuesday wasn't messing around last week. We don't control our economic policy anymore, Liz Truss at least made that clear (if very little else other than what a personality vacuum she is). Investors do. Cuts will be made, and the obvious easy sacrifice to be made here is road safety. Just as it will at the Border Force (or whatever they call themselves these days) to the detriment of our home security. And at the NHS, mortality rates. But the KPIs can't be allowed to fail, if the senior-to-mid-management would like to keep their cushy status-quo (unions seldom disagree internally, do they); which is exactly why it was always historically so tempting to more commercially-minded governments to sell dross like this off. When they should have long ago, but had the brains and the foresight to keep the trains, the power and the water in their pocket, purely for the assets.

Valueless, clerical, menial shite that could be done at a fraction of the cost it is now, to those of us who pay our way, is ripe for a government sell-off to make a fast buck, from the same investors who hoovered up the cheap-assets and gobbled up the cash. So, if they want us to keep paying via the channels we do, they will have to evolve. The gravy train is going to have to come to a stop at Debtville soon, because that stop we thought would never arrive is looking ominously closer.

Sorry if a little off-topic, but interesting that I was getting a lot of red-letters from HMRC about ERSNI for the business I run. I was tired of getting reminder letters for being 1-2 months over, which seemed silly when I knew I was overdrawn; especially since they owed us a much greater sum of money in R&D reclaims. So I told them this and asked why, firstly when they owe us more in fact, and secondly when many businesses (including some very well known, household-name EPL football teams) that don’t pay their ERSNI on time; explaining that in fact I am probably one of 90% of guilty parties, and only ever when we are short. They seemed to know this well, and made very little comment when I then said how much we and the rest of the civilised world all know that gov.uk is a little short of cash right now following recent domestic harmonies.

The government is fugged, the NHS is fugged, many things are fugged after years of neglect. Years of needless war and war 'support', years of flirting with Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Iran and now Ukraine, deluges of needless bureaucracy over meaningless border votes and the ensuing legal fortunes spent, vaccines, tracing people in a worse way than internet firms could do in 1995, seedy and illegal office parties, gender debates... when they should all have been running the sodding country. Everyone in this country who works in the public sector is, I'm afraid, gonna have to pull their socks up, and there is a management cull of biblical proportions coming in some departments; I predict.

Last edited:
If anything I think the process will become far more streamlined.

It is going to have to, if it wants to avoid beng sold off, which won't be good news for many of the sandal-wearing origami lovers in SA99. And it's ironic that it will be a Labour government that has to do this, but that reform is probably already well underway back in London because Jeremy Hunt-you-next-Tuesday wasn't messing around last week. We don't control our economic policy anymore, Liz Truss at least made that clear (if very little else other than what a personality vacuum she is). Investors do. Cuts will be made, and the obvious easy sacrifice to be made here is road safety. Just as it will at the Border Force (or whatever they call themselves these days) to the detriment of our home security. And at the NHS, mortality rates. But the KPIs can't be allowed to fail, if the senior-to-mid-management would like to keep their cushy status-quo (unions seldom disagree internally, do they); which is exactly why it was always historically so tempting to more commercially-minded governments to sell dross like this off. When they should have long ago, but had the brains and the foresight to keep the trains, the power and the water in their pocket, purely for the assets.

Valueless, clerical, menial shite that could be done at a fraction of the cost it is now, to those of us who pay our way, is ripe for a government sell-off to make a fast buck, from the same investors who hoovered up the cheap-assets and gobbled up the cash. So, if they want us to keep paying via the channels we do, they will have to evolve. The gravy train is going to have to come to a stop at Debtville soon, because that stop we thought would never arrive is looking ominously closer.

Sorry if a little off-topic, but interesting that I was getting a lot of red-letters from HMRC about ERSNI for the business I run. I was tired of getting reminder letters for being 1-2 months over, which seemed silly when I knew I was overdrawn; especially since they owed us a much greater sum of money in R&D reclaims. So I told them this and asked why, firstly when they owe us more in fact, and secondly when many businesses (including some very well known, household-name EPL football teams) that don’t pay their ERSNI on time; explaining that in fact I am probably one of 90% of guilty parties, and only ever when we are short. They seemed to know this well, and made very little comment when I then said how much we and the rest of the civilised world all know that gov.uk is a little short of cash right now following recent domestic harmonies.

The government is fugged, the NHS is fugged, many things are fugged after years of neglect. Years of needless war and war 'support', years of flirting with Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Iran and now Ukraine, deluges of needless bureaucracy over meaningless border votes and the ensuing legal fortunes spent, vaccines, tracing people in a worse way than internet firms could do in 1995, seedy and illegal office parties, gender debates... when they should all have been running the sodding country. Everyone in this country who works in the public sector is, I'm afraid, gonna have to pull their socks up, and there is a management cull of biblical proportions coming in some departments; I predict.
Sundog for PM ✌

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off