1 year medical license for at least 6 years....from when ?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Blooper

Hi there I am I feel an old timer on the "1 Year medical license" I wont bore you with my tales of woe, but does anyone know how the 6 years of 1 year medical licenses works. Is it that after 6 years from your conviction, 6 years of 1 year medical licenses or 6 medicals before you get the Willy Wonka Golden 10 year license ?

Hello
My understanding is that the DVLA can decide to grant you a one year medical licence for up to six years, but it’s not automatic that they will do this.
They can grant licenses for longer periods, for example three years.
It seems to be the case that the first medical license is usually for one year. After that it depends on a number of things….the questionnaire we fill in, the result of the CDT test, information provided by GPs and I’m sure also on the notes made by the DVLA Doctor.
After my first medical license I was granted one for three years. This takes me up to the time when I would have to renew my license anyway.
Good luck with your application
J

Hello
My understanding is that the DVLA can decide to grant you a one year medical licence for up to six years, but it’s not automatic that they will do this.
They can grant licenses for longer periods, for example three years.
It seems to be the case that the first medical license is usually for one year. After that it depends on a number of things….the questionnaire we fill in, the result of the CDT test, information provided by GPs and I’m sure also on the notes made by the DVLA Doctor.
After my first medical license I was granted one for three years. This takes me up to the time when I would have to renew my license anyway.
Good luck with your application
J

KeyWorker

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Regarding Blooper's original question - the 6 year medical process starts from when you first apply for your licence at the conclusion of your drink driving ban.

For example - a HRO banned for 3 years in 2019, would apply for their licence now (2022), but would potentially still be on the DVLA radar until 2028 (if that makes sense!).

The general pattern I have established is that most people with any recorded history of alcohol/drug misuse or dependancy will start off on a 12 month temporary licence for their first year back on the road.

It is potluck the second year, whether or not you do get granted a longer licence, but a lot of people do seem to get a 3 year licence second time round.

You would have to be very unlucky to have to endure 6 x 12 month licences with a DVLA medical each year, but there was in fact one member on this forum who sadly ended up enduring this nightmare for 6 years!

CJ

KeyWorker

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Regarding Blooper's original question - the 6 year medical process starts from when you first apply for your licence at the conclusion of your drink driving ban.

For example - a HRO banned for 3 years in 2019, would apply for their licence now (2022), but would potentially still be on the DVLA radar until 2028 (if that makes sense!).

The general pattern I have established is that most people with any recorded history of alcohol/drug misuse or dependancy will start off on a 12 month temporary licence for their first year back on the road.

It is potluck the second year, whether or not you do get granted a longer licence, but a lot of people do seem to get a 3 year licence second time round.

You would have to be very unlucky to have to endure 6 x 12 month licences with a DVLA medical each year, but there was in fact one member on this forum who sadly ended up enduring this nightmare for 6 years!

CJ
As you know mate I've only got another 1 year license,CDT from 0.8 to 0.7 so it is pot luck,how is your application going?

As you know mate I've only got another 1 year license,CDT from 0.8 to 0.7 so it is pot luck,how is your application going?

The last I heard was that the DVLA medical questionnaire was with the GP. This was confirmed by the admin woman over the telephone last week.

As I have technically been using Section 88 for the best part of the year, I'm now technically approaching my third year under the DVLA medical process, so fingers crossed this counts towards the possibility of a 3 year licence and not another 12 month licence.

CJ

A bit more about me I am on my 4th 1 year license, I abstain completely and my CDT has consistently 0.6 all the way through. Nothing new on the Doctors form of course but same thing every year. The only time it's a problem is when you want to drive abroad and you are under a section 88 so don't have a physical license, and of course car rental. But I just want to put it all behind me now so I guess I may have 2 more to go !! Thanks for the information all, this site has been a great support through my self inflicted nightmare.

A bit more about me I am on my 4th 1 year license, I abstain completely and my CDT has consistently 0.6 all the way through. Nothing new on the Doctors form of course but same thing every year. The only time it's a problem is when you want to drive abroad and you are under a section 88 so don't have a physical license, and of course car rental. But I just want to put it all behind me now so I guess I may have 2 more to go !! Thanks for the information all, this site has been a great support through my self inflicted nightmare.

It is total b**locks that they make you do the DVLA medical every year. Can I ask - did you fall into the dependancy or misuser category? CJ

This does sound extremely harsh. I failed my first medical (not due to alcohol), but passed second and third with 1.0% and 0.9% respectively. The third was sufficient to get full license back, much to my delight.

If you don’t mind, what were the circumstances behind your ban? If you’re consistently proving abstinence, I find it really odd they’re not being kinder unless there is something you’re reporting amid your habits they don’t like.

Yes I am classed as HRO should have put that, and alcohol dependant according to Doctors notes.

Yes I am classed as HRO should have put that, and alcohol dependant according to Doctors notes.
OK. It’s probably dependency that’s determined that then. Hopefully the next will be the last. Especially since you’ve been so consistent.

One of the things with being caught drink driving or for that matter any other crime we may have committed. We want to receive our punishment, do the “time” that befits the crime, and then move in with life. DVLA seem hell bent on keeping one of your feet in the past. Constantly punishing you. Now, I thought it was the magistrates or sheriff courts that handed down judgement. It turns out both DVLA and the Traffic Commissioner can also impose retrospective punishment, anxiety and never ending shame etc etc . How can anyone full get over what they have done and make true reparation, when they are constantly being dragged through this torturous process every 12 months. Is it not enough that it’s on our licence for 11 years? Is it not enough we are named and shamed in the press sometimes, by scum bag reporters with fk all better to do than ruin your reputation? Is it not enough we face ever increasing premiums on car insurance? Is it not enough if, like me the majority of employers will not employ you because of your D10?
Honestly, I have seen paedophiles, murderers and rapists being “understood” and given medical assistance to get over their perversions etc etc.
and being released and even protected by the state and given anonimity? Fk sake…..in some cases we may have been a couple over the limit. Some of us had life changing experiences that would have put others in the ground. Some of us lost their wives after 30 years, and had genuine near death experiences etc etc.
And now, even now….be facing the possibility of a life ending disease.
When will it ever end, with these twisted sociopaths, sitting there like bored children burning off insect wings with magnifying glasses.
And no, it’s not an over the top response. Just let people get on with their fking lives.

OK. It’s probably dependency that’s determined that then. Hopefully the next will be the last. Especially since you’ve been so consistent.

When I read my paperwork from 2020, I was referred to as a 'misuser'. I have been waiting to do my second DVLA medical for nearly a year and I have been using Section 88 since January. I sincerely hope that as I have gained a year (through the DVLA/GP incompetence) I might get a longer licence eventually rather than just another bog standard 12 month licence (again).

CJ

Misuse was mentioned after my second medical as a reason for 1 year temp, when I asked why. Although it was clear from my notes I had stopped by then, and there is no specific in mention of misuse in my notes, elsewhere it wasn’t difficult to deduce that I was having problems at the time (mental health referrals etc.) and I’d probably been a little too honest with all parties up to that point, hoping for sympathy, when I was unlikely to get any without both honesty and change.

Third medical was the last one. 🙂 So yeah - a 1-yr temp for misuse can become a full 10 year again for a misuser, at the following medical. Just believe. :)

It’s well documented on here that my gp shafted me when reporting “suspected” misuse dependency. But that was October 2016, it’s now November 2022, so I’m hoping that the 6 year window has already closed? Not that it should matter, as DVLA already told me last week that on my D4 form completed by my gp states “no alcohol misuse or dependency or drugs or any physical or mental health issues”
That was of course before my ongoing pancreatic cancer concern. Which shouldn’t be of concern, unless I die before the end of the procedure of course, which may slow things down a little.
Sorry, trench humour keeps me going.

Hi All, apologies to jump on this thread, but your insight is much needed.
I got issued a 1 year license first time around (I am a HRO)
Applied for my licence again after the 1 year expired, I read somewhere that we don’t have to pay the £90 fee again as we would have moved into the normal ‘medical renewal’ category rather than reapplying for a licence after a ban.

But today I received my application back requesting £90 in order to proceed?

I take it we have to stump up the £90 each time, and if and when a medical gets booked this time around pay the GP fees on top again?

Is that your experiences seeing as it sounds like you’ve all been through this multiple times?

Thanks in advance

Applied for my licence again after the 1 year expired, I read somewhere that we don’t have to pay the £90 fee again as we would have moved into the normal ‘medical renewal’ category rather than reapplying for a licence after a ban.

I take it we have to stump up the £90 each time, and if and when a medical gets booked this time around pay the GP fees on top again?

Is that your experiences seeing as it sounds like you’ve all been through this multiple times?

Thanks in advance
That’s odd. Didn’t have to pay for mine. Maybe send it and ask why, best not incur any delays.

Thanks in advance

RW1087

I would challenge this. As HRO's we do have to pay for the privilege of getting our licence back the first time round and paying for the first medical. Once you have been back on the road, you do not pay for anything as the requests for further medicals are by the DVLA so they cover the bills......not us.

CJ

As HRO's with dependancy on thier medical records I remember there was a "ORDER" of complete abstinence for 12months after your license was granted, after that is it just controlled drinking and a low CDT test thats needed ?

Hello. I'm a HRO, my 1 year licence runs out this month. My paperwork is currently with my gp, I missed the call but will hopefully be completed and sent back next week. But my question is, will a blood test be required as part of the medical or does it go off what the doctor puts? I'm currently undergoing chemotherapy and understand that it contains alcohol, would this likely effect my results? I believe I just need to demonstrate controlled drinking so unsure if it would make much difference?

Hi Jessica lala you will need a CDT blood test for as long as the DVLA decide on a yearly basis, you would have to drink or in your case be injected with a lot of alcohol over a substantial period to go over the limit of 3. If like me you would like peace of mind, Medichecks organise them ar a cost. They can usually be taken at your local hospital, in between operations and liver issues post op I have had one before every medical. Mine a negligible usually under 1.0. I am in this nightmare with you, but they hold all the cards with us being HRO'S good luck with the chemo 😉

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off