CDT test booked

Convicted Driver Insurance

mctigue

Hi all, CDT test booked for 7th of DEC. Have been drinking fairly daily, maybe 6 pints of stella most days. Am I likely to be under the threshold if I abstain until my test? Thanks

Hi all, CDT test booked for 7th of DEC. Have been drinking fairly daily, maybe 6 pints of stella most days. Am I likely to be under the threshold if I abstain until my test? Thanks
No one can say for certain as you would need to know what your CDT level is at present. CDT has a half life of around 14 days,

If e.g. it was 14%, then after 2 weeks it would be 7% then after 4 weeks, 3.5% then after 6 weeks it would be 1.75%.

Given you have just asked the question, it will be a close run thing to get below 3.5 and the DVLA would be looking for below 2.2%. If however you have dependency logged anywhere and they go to your GP, then they will look for something below 1.5%.

I was 0.30% (but that was after 3 years abstinence,) and I still only got a 1 year licence.

Of course the above figures are just estimates as a lot will also depend on your oown physiology and how it deals with CDT.

Remember if you fail, it will be another year before you can apply, and if you are truthful on the questionnaire and say you drink 126 units a week, well, you answer the question.

And remember, if you do get your licence back and keep drinking at this level, you will drive drunk again and probably get caught.

No one can say for certain as you would need to know what your CDT level is at present. CDT has a half life of around 14 days,

If e.g. it was 14%, then after 2 weeks it would be 7% then after 4 weeks, 3.5% then after 6 weeks it would be 1.75%.

Given you have just asked the question, it will be a close run thing to get below 3.5 and the DVLA would be looking for below 2.2%. If however you have dependency logged anywhere and they go to your GP, then they will look for something below 1.5%.

I was 0.30% (but that was after 3 years abstinence,) and I still only got a 1 year licence.

Of course the above figures are just estimates as a lot will also depend on your oown physiology and how it deals with CDT.

Remember if you fail, it will be another year before you can apply, and if you are truthful on the questionnaire and say you drink 126 units a week, well, you answer the question.

And remember, if you do get your licence back and keep drinking at this level, you will drive drunk again and probably get caught.
Interesting you say under 2.2... I've been advised on here that because we're HRO regardless of medical history we have to get under 1%

Interesting you say under 2.2... I've been advised on here that because we're HRO regardless of medical history we have to get under 1%
How long is a piece of string?

If you are HRO then the lower the better.

2.2 is regarded as 'normal' drinking, bu depending on your circumstances, you might need to get much lower.

It also depends on what you tell them you drink, if you say you’ve been abstinent for like 3 years and Rock up with a reading of 2.2 they will obviously know your bullshitting. The go to is, the lower the better. Personally, and it’s just me, but I wouldn’t listen to 2.2 or 1.7 or whatever. And I wouldn’t exercise sensible controlled drinking in the lead up to a CDT I would completely abstain. But then I’m an HGV driver, so my licence is hugely important in my life. It’s not just the inconvenience of not having a car, it’s my livelihood. I guess it depends how important your licence is, as to how much effort you put into this. Furthermore it’s a measure of how you intend to act regards drinking and driving going forward. Didn’t mean this as a sermon.

I think if you are an HRO as I am and many of us are, then the lower the better. You wanna be under 1 if at all possible but, the standard is supposed to be under 2.2 but why would anyone risk that is beyond me. You fail? Another year in the wilderness

I think if you are an HRO as I am and many of us are, then the lower the better. You wanna be under 1 if at all possible but, the standard is supposed to be under 2.2 but why would anyone risk that is beyond me. You fail? Another year in the wilderness
Just wondering if my private test was right I normally drink between 4,5 to 9 units a bottle of wine over a weekend I abstained for 4 days and got 0.8% I have not drank since then and plan not to until my medical but can’t even get one at this stage. I am curious how much more it is gong to come down or if it will me more or less the same. Will let everyone know

You will be fine if you stop now and stay stopped you need to get your cdt levels down 6 pints a day over along period yours will be high so definitely no more alcohol

hi all thanks for your replies. I was classed as a HRO yes but am now classed as a medical renewal as was given a 1 year license. So will be aiming for less than 1%. I have ordered a
Medichecks test kit and will update you once I find out my current level. Thanks

During the early days of denial, I had a couple of CDT medichecks. Then later, after first (failed) medical (due to overdose rather than drinking, I thankfully proved), and around the time I wanted it known I’d stopped drinking; the GP performed a couple for me to help prove this.

I seem to recall that for me it took about just over a month to get from my level of ‘saturation’ (probably just north of 3.0% at the time), to a ‘good’ 1.0%.

What I spotted was that the half-life rule follows. It drops quickly-ish first few days, but that decay decays. If you were to interpolate it as linearly as you could (i.e. draw a straight line), I’d say that for me it decayed at around 0.05% a day of abstinence. And I drank more or less what you do now, give or give a bit.

Meaning that using my rule, to get from 3.0% (a typical, blasé failure result for sake of example) to 1.0% would take around 40 days. So you’ve stopped just about in time I’d say.

But this is just me and my blood, please don’t take what I’ve written above as in any way gospel. Some on here have drank until quite late, and breezed it. Others were less lucky (I bet it’s those rotten bastards who don’t suffer hangovers who make up the former). But a month or so off is good for most, and I’m sure it’ll be the same for you pal.

HTH. Good luck.

Last edited:
During the early days of denial, I had a couple of CDT medichecks. Then later, after first (failed) medical (due to overdose rather than drinking, I thankfully proved), and around the time I wanted it known I’d stopped drinking; the GP performed a couple for me to help prove this.

I seem to recall that for me it took about just over a month to get from my level of ‘saturation’ (probably just north of 3.0% at the time), to a ‘good’ 1.0%.

What I spotted was that the half-life rule follows. It drops quickly-ish first few days, but that decay decays. If you were to interpolate it as linearly as you could (i.e. draw a straight line), I’d say that for me it decayed at around 0.05% a day of abstinence. And I drank more or less what you do now, give or give a bit.

Meaning that using my rule, to get from 3.0% (a typical, blasé failure result for sake of example) to 1.0% would take around 40 days. So you’ve stopped just about in time I’d say.

But this is just me and my blood, please don’t take what I’ve written above as in any way gospel. Some on here have drank until quite late, and breezed it. Others were less lucky (I bet it’s those rotten bastards who don’t suffer hangovers who make up the former). But a month or so off is good for most, and I’m sure it’ll be the same for you pal.

HTH. Good luck.
Rotten bastards 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You have five weeks until the 7th December. Don't drink anything until after the CDT has been taken. You should be fine by then.

To keep this whole process simple and straight forward, I would advise everyone who is a HRO to aim for below 1.0%.

hi all thanks for your replies. I was classed as a HRO yes but am now classed as a medical renewal as was given a 1 year license. So will be aiming for less than 1%. I have ordered a
Medichecks test kit and will update you once I find out my current level. Thanks

You are in the same boat as me. I was a HRO then was issued with a 12 month temporary licence that has now expired. The HRO label is no longer relevant to us - we are now classed as Medical Renewals. Can I ask if you are waiting for your second medical?

CJ

You have five weeks until the 7th December. Don't drink anything until after the CDT has been taken. You should be fine by then.

To keep this whole process simple and straight forward, I would advise everyone who is a HRO to aim for below 1.0%.

You are in the same boat as me. I was a HRO then was issued with a 12 month temporary licence that has now expired. The HRO label is no longer relevant to us - we are now classed as Medical Renewals. Can I ask if you are waiting for your second medical?

CJ
I am awaiting my second medical yes, been driving on a section 88. Put my renewal app in on nov last year. Was also on a years license.

I am awaiting my second medical yes, been driving on a section 88. Put my renewal app in on nov last year. Was also on a years license.
Whit? You applied in November last year and you still don't have your licence renewal. That's not good, not only for you but also for me as I'm about to begin the process after having been granted a 1 year licence in Feb this year.

Perhaps you and anyone with better knowledge can answer these, but;

a) Is your S88 'approval' about to expire? (only you can answer that one.)
b) Can you continue to drive even if your application is still pending?
c) Do you need to make another application?
d) How long before your current licence expired did you apply for a renewal.? Was it 90 days or 56 days?
e) Is that correct that you haven't even had your medical?
f) Has your GP been contacted and have they replied to the DVLA?

Sorry for all the seemingly newbie questions, but this will be my first time applying under the medical licence route.

Whit? You applied in November last year and you still don't have your licence renewal. That's not good, not only for you but also for me as I'm about to begin the process after having been granted a 1 year licence in Feb this year.

Perhaps you and anyone with better knowledge can answer these, but;

a) Is your S88 'approval' about to expire? (only you can answer that one.)
b) Can you continue to drive even if your application is still pending?
c) Do you need to make another application?
d) How long before your current licence expired did you apply for a renewal.? Was it 90 days or 56 days?
e) Is that correct that you haven't even had your medical?
f) Has your GP been contacted and have they replied to the DVLA?

Sorry for all the seemingly newbie questions, but this will be my first time applying under the medical licence route.
S88 lasts while everything is pending,
yes you can continue to drive while pending,
Not as far as I’m aware
I think it was 3 months, but it was a while ago 😁
I haven’t had my medical for this one no
Dvla and gp have been in touch with each other yes,

S88 lasts while everything is pending,
yes you can continue to drive while pending,
Not as far as I’m aware
I think it was 3 months, but it was a while ago 😁
I haven’t had my medical for this one no
Dvla and gp have been in touch with each other yes,
Thanks for replying so quickly. Much appreciated. Seems strange though that the DVLA have approached your GP prior to any DVLA organised medical.

Did the DVLA send you the questionnaire to complete?

Thanks for replying so quickly. Much appreciated. Seems strange though that the DVLA have approached your GP prior to any DVLA organised medical.

Did the DVLA send you the questionnaire to complete?
This isn’t my first medical it’s a renewal so I imagine this is their procedure. Yeah I fill my own questionnaire in.

Hi Luna
When I applied for my first medical license the DVLA contacted my GP before I attended the DVLA Medical.
I can’t remember exactly, but I’m sure I was made aware of this, as I contacted my GP to let him know that he would be hearing from them, and to review the form that I sent to the them…we went through it together on the phone.
I was granted a three year license, which takes me up to a landmark birthday.
Good Luck x

What I forgot to add was that the longer the abstinence and the lower the score, the more confident they’ll be in you go reissue a longer-term license.

And that is also not to mention how much better you’ll feel by the time that medical comes about. I stopped well before my second one, but I haven’t gone back. Life is so much better without alcohol dictating the pace. :)

Mctigue

My D1 was posted last October (2021) and I then completed my medical questionnaire a few weeks later that was returned in the post to the DVLA.

My 12 month temporary licence expired on the 21st January 2022 and I have been driving under Section 88 since then. The DVLA has since contacted my GP and I am still playing a waiting game.

It does sound like you have been waiting as long as I have!!!!

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off